United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Some game industry news I should pass along to all you boardgamers:

Games Quarterly Magazine's publication has ceased.
New Owners for Games Quarterly Catalog.

Games Quarterly Catalog (GQC), the 16 year old standard reference for the games industry, is now under new ownership. The acquisition was completed today. The previous owner Matthews Simmons Martketing (MSM) sold the catalog to Richard Hartnett and Richard Martin Leep.

Mr. Simmons further announced that MSM is closing after 16 years of service to the games industry. He noted the closure was forced by mounting bad accounts receivable through the past eighteen months and recent losses due to the launch of Games Expo 2007. Games Quarterly Magazine's publication has ceased.

FOR MORE INFORMATION Regarding Games Quarterly Catalog Contact:

Games Quarterly Catalog Company
12568 Tammywood Street
Broomfield CO 80020

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Argh, terrible news. And I just paid for a two-year subscription.

Is there an official press release somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Walker
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feels like a pump and dump stock. I think many of us subscribed.

cryyukcryyukcryyukcryyukcrygulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Spire wrote:
Is there an official press release somewhere?

I don't know if there is. I received an industry insider email about it from MSM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Silmser
United States
Valrico
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Their website has no mention of this.

Any announcement made about refunding subscription fees?

....and now I'll NEVER get those damn game expansions!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Oliver
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
ejamer wrote:
Hmmm... this is extremely unfortunate. I also subscribed to the magazine when it was plugged here at BGG, and greatly enjoyed the mini-expansions. Frankly, if my money is now wasted I'll be rather pissed off.

Yeah, same story for me too. I only subscribed to get the "free" expansions. So that's 2 expansion for $25 bucks - not a great ROI. I guess the reported flop of that recent Games Expo must've sunk the whole thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Brad Oliver wrote:
Yeah, same story for me too. I only subscribed to get the "free" expansions. So that's 2 expansion for $25 bucks - not a great ROI. I guess the reported flop of that recent Games Expo must've sunk the whole thing.

I also think the Games Expo killed off MSM. As for expansions, Spielbox magazine is healthy, but in German.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Silmser
United States
Valrico
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John Bohrer wrote:
Brad Oliver wrote:

I also think the Games Expo killed off MSM. As for expansions, Spielbox magazine is healthy, but in German.

But how easy/expensive to get here in the US?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hisst Ka wrote:
John Bohrer wrote:

But how easy/expensive to get here in the US?

You can subscribe to Spielbox for one issue, 3 issues or for a year, 6 issues. The English language order page is:

http://www.spielbox-magazin.de/sbbest072e.php

The current issue has an Age of Steam expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John Bohrer wrote:
You can subscribe to Spielbox for one issue, 3 issues or for a year, 6 issues. The English language order page is:

http://www.spielbox-magazin.de/sbbest072e.php

Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately, it's expensive: $69.59 a year for US subscribers ($11.60 per issue). A single issue is $7.36 plus shipping, and the three-issue "test subscription" is not available outside of Europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ejamer wrote:
By the way, thanks very much for sharing the news - while it's not good news, it is good to know. Hopefully this debacle will end up with a happy resolution.

I am certainly glad that you don't kill the messenger bearing bad news! I just wanted to get the news out to all you folks before more people sent their subscription money to Games Quarterly Magazine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
John Bohrer wrote:
...I just wanted to get the news out to all you folks before more people sent their subscription money to Games Quarterly Magazine.

Yes, thanks for the heads-up. Makes me very happy I got my Die Katharer from Spielbox afterall! FYI, Gaming Report has a few more details:

http://www.gamingreport.com/article.php?sid=23413&mode=threa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ejamer wrote:
Would there be compatability issues with using Spielbox expansions in English versions of the game? Obviously, and text would have to be translated, but don't some games also have different graphic styles (ie: Settlers of Catan)?

There usually no difference in artwork between the original German game and the US reprint. The english language reprints are usually just ganged onto the original german run, it saves a lot of money for guys like Jay at Rio Grande.

The language obstacle is the big problem for US gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have lost some $$. I feel though, that I have just dodged a bullet as I was seriously considering taking my boys to the Games Expo. I decided, instead, to take them to Gamestorm 9 in Portland. Had I gone to the Expo I don't think I would have ever gone to another con. As it happens, it will take a stampede of camels to keep me from Gamestorm 10 (and whatever other con I can get me greedy little free weekends in).

So there are silver linings after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully they will contact subscribers about this. I got the 2 year one as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Wow. Although I'm sure BGG wasn't aware of the insolvency issues, it looks a bit suspect that the mag owners put a big push on for subscriptions just before going belly up. Has the new owner indicated they would try to find a substitute product to the new subscriber base? Presumably if they bought full interest in the company's assets (such as they are) they also purchased the company's obligations.

Will "Richard Hartnett and Richard Martin Leep" also be making a formal statement here on BGG? I would very much like to see if they will be trying to find a way to establish a positive relationship with those who just lost out on their investment.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the subscription on my Christmas list - I now feel fortunate that no one actually bought it for me (and I didn't get around to ordering it for myself). I think the source of the delay (for my ordering) was the fact that I had already picked up the expansions that were already announced via Spielbox and the magazine itself wasn't terribly compelling. Now I am starting to think that I need to serious consider just biting the bullet and subscribing to Spielbox. Hopefully, there won't be a BGG tie-in for Spielbox, as it seems to be the kiss of death for publications...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Will "Richard Hartnett and Richard Martin Leep" also be making a formal statement here on BGG?

Richard Hartnett and Richard Martin Leep bought Games Quarterly Catalog, not Games Quarterly Magazine. GQC is a US trade journal, GQM a consumer mag, not at all the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
Knucklebones Magazine is pretty good and they just had a brand new issue come out. You can check them out at www.kbones.com. One year subscription is $24.95.

This is bad news for the industry though as I know Games Quarterly was thought of pretty highly.

LA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lastalchemist wrote:
Knucklebones Magazine is pretty good and they just had a brand new issue come out. You can check them out at www.kbones.com. One year subscription is $24.95.

I think that the major thing that people were interested in with Games Quarterly were the mini expansions that they had started including (The Great River of Catan, The Mini-Carcassonne expansion). Having read a couple of issues of Knucklebones, I can safely say that it is a much better magazine.

Quote:
This is bad news for the industry though as I know Games Quarterly was thought of pretty highly.

Actually, most people have not been terribly impressed with the magazine - it was mostly a set of press releases, not really good objective writing. Again, if Knucklebones were to pick up the expansions that were planned to run with Games Quarterly, I suspect that they would add a good number of subscribers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
deacondavid wrote:
Actually, most people have not been terribly impressed with the magazine - it was mostly a set of press releases, not really good objective writing.

If one is mostly interested in objective english language writing about boardgames, Counter magazine is the established benchmark. Sorry, no color pictures or expansions, just plenty of solid objective commentary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Silmser
United States
Valrico
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly got my sub only for the game expansions. The "magazine" was mainly just adds.

I'd skim through it and toss it out. It wasn't anything I got much enjoyment out of.

I did enjoy the expansions though!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if BGG ever got their cut (just wondering if GQM fulfilled their obligation, I wouldn't expect anything from BGG if they did)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
ejamer wrote:
lastalchemist wrote:

Note that the price for Knucklebones would be CAD $46 for a one year (six issue) subscription in Canada. This still seems like a fair price if the magazine is decent... but not quite the deal that US residents get.

Hah. You think you Americans got burnt on Games Quarterly? Try having paid the International rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
I had initially subscribed for the little games expansions they had announced, but I found that I enjoyed the articles. I took the obvious marketing with a grain of salt, but I enjoyed the content on education and James Earnest's stuff.

This is disappointing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.