Subject: 2 runners 4/4 wins so far -- choices, choices, choices, ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I must be at least somewhat lucky there.

I have started a 2 runner solo campaign recently, using an Orc Drone Rigger (Samurai/Hacker) and a Human Social Adept (Mage/Face).

So far, out of 4 Crossfire missions with standard rules (and only the cards from the base game, no expansion content, yet... despite the roles) I actually managed to win all 4.

The first mission was just pure luck, though, as on the turn of inevitable defeat (current runner staggered and going into critical without a chance to prevent it with the cards in hand), I flipped a Crossfire card that healed (!) everyone half their current damage (but later on inflicted 2 damage on every runner, which never came to pass, as the game was over during that round).

The Crossfire event did get its revenge, though, in a later game, where I flipped it again, this time with only 1 damage total amongst my runners, so it did 3 damage (effectively) that time around. That hurt quite a bit, but the run was successful still.

Anyways, now I am at 12 Karma and unsure what to do with the Upgrades.

Since I will be hitting the -1 Karma penalty now, it might be a good idea to get some benefit for it at least, but the 10 Karma Upgrades seem pretty mediocre, really. The good stuff is waiting at 20 Karma, but first I need to get there.

My runners currently have the Just Tough (Orc) and Got Your Backs (Human) Upgrades.

Lifestyle Choice might be an idea. It should give about 2 Nuyen per game, but it's a bit luck-dependent, of course, and the money is less useful if you get it later in the game (compared to just getting a 5 Karma +1 Nuyen Upgrade). Unfortunately, it only triggers off the main role, otherwise it would be pretty ace when playing with only 2 runners, I think.

Prep Work seems okay, but I only have 2 or 4 starting Nuyen. Maybe on the Mage/Face. With 4 Nuyen, there are quite a few nice cards that could be bought, even some off-color ones like the Backdoor.

So, what do you think? Which Upgrades would you choose at this point?

Or would you just keep the 5 Karma ones for now?

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest you go through the rules again and see if you didn't miss anything important. I find it highly unlikely that you won all 4 crossfire missions. Especially without the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franklin
msg tools
Totally spend the nuyens! I am a big fan of prep work, especially as it combos with other upgrades later on that boost your starting nuyen pool. And in two player only games it's even better as you start with an extra nuyen anyway. Otherwise with all upgrades I tend to steer towards that give you more card draw, or more purchasing. As often discussed because you buy so few cards over the course of the game you want to maximize the value of those cards (with better purchasing power) or the efficiency of them (by using them more).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love getting Prep Work for my Face. There are just so many good buys available that can make a huge difference on your first turn!

In Thanee's situation, with a Adept that should have 4 Nuyen to spend, here's some options no particular order:

Budget Combat Tow Truck - Move your obstacle over to the Rigger so you don't take any damage. (And hopefully he destroys it before it can damage him.)

Sniper Rifle - should pretty much guarantee you can finish off at least 1 obstacle on your first turn.

Clairaudience - not great, but useful in case you need a color right away that isn't in your hand.

Deathtouch - a HUGE amount of damage for card on your first turn, plus you get to fix the order of your next 3 cards. Good way to ensure you can draw the colors you need for your next turn.

Icon Grab - not a lot of damage, but you get to pick what color that second point of damage is.

Jacked In - again, not amazing damage, but it gives you 1 Green + 1 Gray on your first turn, then on your second turn you can discard a 1 dmg starter to put Jacked In back into your hand.

Data Spike - I'd only buy this one if the rest of the Black Market is clogged with horrible cards, duplicates, or stuff you can't afford. But in any of those situations, this will let you clear those garbage cards and maybe give you a point of damage.

Backdoor - You can't beat this card if your starting Obstacles are cards like Ork Fixer (you can't buy cards), Elf Shaman (self healing), Buzzback (you can't draw cards), etc. Especially if you're facing one of the obstacles that attacks both you and another player.

Black Market Contacts - Gives you the ability to buy another 2 cost card during your turn, so your Human Social Adept could have up to 6 cards at his disposal on his first turn.

Thinking Ahead - can be useful if you know you have Red cards in your deck.

Negotiation - ASSIST or use it on yourself.

Coordinated Attack - probably the best option you can hope for.

Divination - ASSIST or play on your turn.

Heart of the Team - Can give you card draw or healing on your first turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Azikin wrote:
I suggest you go through the rules again and see if you didn't miss anything important. I find it highly unlikely that you won all 4 crossfire missions. Especially without the expansion.
Heh. I am a little surprised myself. But I am rather sure, that I am playing it right.

In our first games (with two players and two runners) we got trampled left and right. So it's not like these are my first games ever, I do have a little experience to build on.

I think, that the roles from the expansion (which are the only part I am using from it so far) make quite a difference, as you have all roles fairly well-covered between the two runners.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davro33 wrote:
I love getting Prep Work for my Face. There are just so many good buys available that can make a huge difference on your first turn!
Yeah, I can definitely see it being pretty awesome.

Quote:
In Thanee's situation, with a Adept that should have 4 Nuyen to spend, here's some options no particular order: ...
Some of these are probably from the expansion, as they do not sound familiar at all.

And I agree with most of them. Icon Grab, however, is totally useless on the Adept (not a single Hacking card in the deck initially), and should be saved for the Rigger, for whom it is amazingly good. Same with Jacked In. It's just better in the Rigger's deck.

But yeah, there are a lot of nice options, which is also why I think this might be a definite choice for the human.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Quote:
In Thanee's situation, with a Adept that should have 4 Nuyen to spend, here's some options no particular order: ...
Some of these are probably from the expansion, as they do not sound familiar at all.
Yes, some are.

Quote:
And I agree with most of them. Icon Grab, however, is totally useless on the Adept (not a single Hacking card in the deck initially), and should be saved for the Rigger, for whom it is amazingly good. Same with Jacked In. It's just better in the Rigger's deck.
Yeah, I wasn't thinking about you not having any green in that deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I will go with Prep Work for the Human and Got Your Backs (I really like having that safety net around) for the Orc and see how it goes.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote up a session report for my 5th game with the two runners.

[Flatline & Siren] Crossfire Mission with 2 Runners

In case you are interested in seeing how well they work together!

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And a couple games later, I am at 8/8 (maybe it's time to use some of the options to make it harder?) and 20 Karma now!

Looking over the available Upgrades, I have decided to switch to the following:

Flatline, Orc Drone Rigger: Just Tough & Cigar Money

Siren, Human Social Adept: It's a Jing Thing

So, no more Prep Work for the time being (might switch back to it, when I reach 25, combined with Cigar Money), but 6 starting Nuyen is pretty sweet for the initial buys. With one obstacle down, it will be enough even for the 9-cost cards, most likely.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls