Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm pretty laid back about this guild and let folks pretty much run it and take charge. I think that's really what has made the 1 Player Guild so great. One person can't do it all and folks pitch in and take charge when they see an opportunity to improve things for themselves and others. Point here is I can't do it all. In fact, I can't keep up with all that is going on. I don't read ever thread, much less, every post. I do at least thumb each thread to say "thanks for participating."

So what happens is sometimes things go unnoticed. Okay, most of it does. I'm not about to make up rules an insist every one follows them but here are some guidelines we should all be following. I bet some of this applies not just to the guild or even the internet.

d10-1 Think of others. Every time you act, consider that your actions and words affects other people.
d10-2 Sometimes we also write things that are taken badly. It can be because of a misunderstanding, disagreement or whatever. That's okay. Things happen. Nobody is perfect.
d10-3 If someone says they are hurt by your statements. Take a moment to go back to rule one. Try to put yourselves in that persons shoes. Maybe you can see their point of view, maybe not, but do try to consider it.
d10-4 Apologize for hurting the persons feelings. If you learned something new, that's great (my kids are wrong.. learning is a good thing). If not, that's okay too. Not everything can or should be a lesson.
d10-5 You may or may not agree with the person whom you offended. That's cool. We don't always need to agree. We just need to be accepting.

Seriously, consider this. Its not hard to do. You aren't being asked to agree with everyone just not to be a repeat jerk.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "TIRED" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like these guidelines. I feel like I have been a repeat jerk and would like to apologize to the guild in general. I am sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Albert.

fractaloon wrote:

d10-5 You may or may not agree with the person whom you offended. That's cool. We don't always need to agree. We just need to be accepting.

I want to echo this. The thing that drew me to the guild in the first place wasn't the fact that everyone was in agreement (because that has never happened!). It was the hope that, even in disagreement, we could express that disagreement and our differing viewpoints in a civil manner and try to learn from each other.

We are all human. We will all fall short of the ideal at different times. During the times I fall short, I hope that the members of this guild will do their best to be patient with me. And in return, I promise to do my best to be patient with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marita Hipolito
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I ask for game recommendations and opinions, I expect and want some disagreement over suggestions. I want options. I'm not looking for 'yes' people to justify my purchase. I want honest opinion.

As long as everyone understands that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and realize that these are 'opinions' and not 'facts', the posts will remain open and polite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was this thread caused by something in particular?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
fractaloon wrote:
So I'm pretty laid back about this guild and let folks pretty much run it and take charge. I think that's really what has made the 1 Player Guild so great. One person can't do it all and folks pitch in and take charge when they see an opportunity to improve things for themselves and others. Point here is I can't do it all. In fact, I can't keep up with all that is going on. I don't read ever thread, much less, every post. I do at least thumb each thread to say "thanks for participating."

So what happens is sometimes things go unnoticed. Okay, most of it does. I'm not about to make up rules an insist every one follows them but here are some guidelines we should all be following. I bet some of this applies not just to the guild or even the internet.

d10-1 Think of others. Every time you act, consider that your actions and words affects other people.
d10-2 Sometimes we also write things that are taken badly. It can be because of a misunderstanding, disagreement or whatever. That's okay. Things happen. Nobody is perfect.
d10-3 If someone says they are hurt by your statements. Take a moment to go back to rule one. Try to put yourselves in that persons shoes. Maybe you can see their point of view, maybe not, but do try to consider it.
d10-4 Apologize for hurting the persons feelings. If you learned something new, that's great (my kids are wrong.. learning is a good thing). If not, that's okay too. Not everything can or should be a lesson.

Seriously, consider this. Its not hard to do. You aren't being asked to agree with everyone just not to be a repeat jerk.
So true!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Hey, you're touching my face...
mbmbmbmbmb
No_Frets wrote:

Albert finally had enough of my shenanigans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
joestin wrote:
No_Frets wrote:

This is no place for shenanigans! Haven't you learned by now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, contrary to my post above, I really enjoy shenanigans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
1565, St Elmo's Pay - October 2019 Kickstarter
badge
1565, St Elmo's Pay - October 2019 Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:

In the interest of being considerate don't forget about the henanigans too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Davies
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
Y Ddraig Goch Ddyry Gychwyn.
badge
One of these days I'm going to play a board game.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No_Frets wrote:

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:

Great game show from the 80's I think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those elusive answers are really hurting my feelings...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Once somebody pm'ed me about something I wrote, saying it was offensive. I disagreed, it's a phrase used fairly commonly and I had a specific interpretation of it. We went back and forth (both of us tried to keep it from escalating and we stuck to the matter at hand) but, in the interest of community, I modified it to something else (even though my clever wordplay suffered for it). What kept the matter civil was that, even though the person was offended, I felt like they respected my view as well.

If someone doesn't like something you wrote, even if you're convinced theyre wrong, it is rarely worth keeping around. Respect their viewpoint (and if they're frequent and interesting contributors, all the more so!). If you're the one offended, respect the poster.

FYI, I was not the one who made Albert post this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the post Albert. I think the number of thumbs garnered, and the range of people they are from, is indicative of how it was received.

As for the thread that follows: I do love people joking around on the 1PG but I feel this may not be the best place for it - this is a serious topic about being respectful of other people in the guild.

I fear that using that as a forum to joke around may come across to some as dismissive of the importance and seriousness of the post.

If you disagree with me that's cool. I don't know if I'm 'right' in this case, or if even a single person agrees with me. I'm not telling you what to do just asking you to think for an extra moment before you click submit given the sensitive topic.

Maybe there's a better place for what you have to say? Or maybe you feel it is the right thing to post here, and the right time. That part isn't up to me - it's your call. I just ask that you think first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Moore
Germany
March
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joestin wrote:
No_Frets wrote:

Actually we all thought you'd been banned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No_Frets wrote:
Those elusive answers are really hurting my feelings...

Since albert has chosen to not specifically reference what initiated this post it seems respectful to me to not post or link speculation as to what triggered it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
repairmanjack wrote:
joestin wrote:
No_Frets wrote:

Actually we all thought you'd been banned.

I'm treading dangerously close to the Gears shill limit... which tells you just how patient the mods are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for the record, I was not joking in my post above and agree that the OP was of a serious nature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fortheloveofdice wrote:
Thanks for the post Albert. I think the number of thumbs garnered, and the range of people they are from, is indicative of how it was received.

As for the thread that follows: I do love people joking around on the 1PG but I feel this may not be the best place for it - this is a serious topic about being respectful of other people in the guild.

I fear that using that as a forum to joke around may come across to some as dismissive of the importance and seriousness of the post.

If you disagree with me that's cool. I don't know if I'm 'right' in this case, or if even a single person agrees with me. I'm not telling you what to do just asking you to think for an extra moment before you click submit given the sensitive topic.

Maybe there's a better place for what you have to say? Or maybe you feel it is the right thing to post here, and the right time. That part isn't up to me - it's your call. I just ask that you think first.

I definitely appreciate this sentiment and understand that levity is not always appropriate. My thinking here was that Albert had said everything so succinctly and thoroughly that there wasn't much to add beyond an approval or acknowledgement. I opted for the latter by making a joke that I figured Albert would appreciate since I think he knows me well enough to know I meant no disrespect. He was the first to thumb it after all.

That said, you're exactly right about time and place. In a roundabout way, I think it's because I appreciate the OP sentiment so much that I opt to make jokes any time tensions rise online. I've seen too many innocent discussions (mostly elsewhere, but sometimes here) escalate into divisive arguments unnecessarily. My thinking in injecting levity is to POSSIBLY stymie that, especially if people I like are involved, and I like a whole lot of people here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsupThe humor isn't offending me, but I have considered locking this thread before it gets derailed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fractaloon wrote:
thumbsupThe humor isn't offending me, but I have considered locking this thread before it gets derailed.

Not a bad plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls