Popular Tags: in_memoriam [+] [View All]
Flix
Germany
Heidelberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the news about the tragic death of Donald Benge (Conquest). His car got hit on Wednesday, 4th. by a drunken driver.
Damn it!

I am lost for words and offer my condolences to his familiy and friends.

From KNBC:

LOS ANGELES -- A 73-year-old man Valencia died Friday in a head-on crash on the eastbound Ventura (134) Freeway in the Eagle Rock area, and the wrong-way driver was in custody on suspicion of drunken driving and vehicular manslaughter, authorities said.

The collision occurred just east of the Glendale (2) Freeway around 4:30 a.m., shutting down all eastbound lanes for several hours, said California Highway Patrol Officer John Seumanutafa.

According to the accident report, patrolling CHP officers spotted the driver of a Honda Element -- a 32-year-old Burbank man -- speeding about 85 mph westbound on the eastbound 134.

The officers, who were eastbound in their patrol car, noticed the approaching vehicle's headlights and swerved to the right to avoid a head-on collision, the report states.

As the wrong-way vehicle passed the patrol car, it collided head-on with a 1988 Chevrolet Cavalier, killing the driver.

The driver of the Honda was taken to Huntington Memorial Hospital in Pasadena for treatment of minor injuries and was expected to be booked on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter and driving under the influence, Seumanutafa said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
What a drag. He was a really nice, albeit stoic, man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flix
Germany
Heidelberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A tribute page has been set up by his fencing friends:

http://www.swordplaystudios.com/press/benge.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya know....it always sucks when someone is killed due to someone elses complete negligence!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's so strange...

Yesterday, my shipping assistant was going through my personal collection and brought a game to me to ask how it was...the game was Conquest.

I had forgotten I even had it (ok, I've forgotten *most* of the games I have), but it's a game that has never received any attention from me before, and I've owned it for several years.

Then I read this and saw that this was the designer of said game, and it was a little freaky.

Needless to say, this is very sad news. And yes, the fact that it happened through no fault of his own makes it even more tragic. And it makes me grateful every day that my family is safe and with me.

Our best to his family and friends during this very sad time.

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald Benge will be missed by the gaming community. He was a regular at Los Angeles-area conventions, demonstrating and teaching both the two-player and four-player versions of Conquest.

My condolences go out as well to his family and friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
The second notable death at the hands of a drunk driver in recent days. Bob Clark who directed the classic film A Christmas Story along with his son were killed by a drunk driver last week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope that dude is charged with murder and not manslaughter. Everyone knows the dangers of drunk driving and he obviously ignored them. Turds like him should be thrown onto a desert island and left to rot for the rest of their lives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad news. I bought my copy of "Conquest" after the designer demoed it with me. His intensity and focus impressed me; he struck me as a man who did not suffer fools gladly but who was also eager to introduce people to his game, not for commercial reasons but because he sincerely believed it to be a solid mental challenge.

Another gifted designer whose life was taken away by a drunk driver was Jim Murphy of Command Perspectives, who designed excellent regimental-level games on Sharpsburg and Second Manassas and who was working on a regimental-level Gettysburg design at the time he died.

When I think how a simple ignition control system could prevent these needless deaths for less than a hundred dollars per vehicle, I marvel at how cheaply human life is held in this self-indulgent society.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Yes, that is quite unnecessary for many instances, where those responsible for causing the misery of any others, are let OFF with some lesser sentencing. These sorts of people ought to just be SHOT and left as "carrion, to serve a more useful 'purpose'! Anyone that is caught the 1st time, should be granted SOME leniency, but STILL have a "penalty" assessed. After that, there's NO "excuse" for this to take place again, and if it does, "game OVER, man!" Harsh, but they'll 'make' and set an E-X-C-E-L-L-E-N-T "example" for any others foolish enough to do likewise, I'm sure! None of this "3-strikes & you're OUT" BS either, if they haven't learnt anything FROM the 1st instance, they don't DESERVE any additional 'chances' of messing other folks' "lives" UP, with their irresponsible disregard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald seemed like a very cool guy when I met him while I worked the LA cons for Alderac Entertainment Group. He was cheerful and determined, and I took an instant liking to him. His game was pretty fun and looked awesome too. He was probably one of my earliest exposures to more modern boardgames than Monopoly, and he left a lasting impression on me. My condolences go out to his family and friends.

-Kevin Wilson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had just re-introduced myself to Conquest this past weekend, and had even signed up to Donald's players database. I was looking forward to potentially seeing him in May, at the Gamex show in Los Angeles. This comes as a total surprise, and his passing is a loss to the gaming community.

As has been stated, he has been a fixture at Los Angeles-area conventions, promoting his game with endless enthusiasm. He truly loved his creation, and was always eager to discuss it with whomever would take the time to spend with him.

I hope that he was able to prepare aides to continue his work, and to continue to produce and promote Conquest, as a legacy to his efforts.

I'm saddened that we have lost a true gaming pioneer. Prayers and deepest sympathies to his surviving family and friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Carver
United Kingdom
Cobham
Surrey, UK
flag msg tools
designer
Donald's fame preceded him in that here in the UK I heard of CONQUEST very early in its life and got a copy shipped over from the States - metal bits and all.

We became devoted to this amazing game and in due course Donald came and stayed with us when he was over in the UK some years back. And since then we've met up during the Essen games fair.

It is so tragic to think that anybody - and particularly a respected member of our worldwide friendly boardgaming community - should so innocently become a victim of a lunatic driver.

His empty chair at Essen this year will be a sad reminder of our loss.

- Derek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really a tragic thing...I think Mr. Benge had some of the most unique and clever playing pieces I have ever seen. I loved the way you could place the units inside a ship or on land units. The man truly was a an inspiration to anyone who ever wanted to put his own game out. I never met the man, but I am saddened and angry at the circumstances of his death.

May his family be strong, and his soul at rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Cole
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very sorry to hear this. I just started getting into his Conquest games within the last year, and have found them both fun and challenging. I had some email communication with him for a while trying to get some of the old puzzle books (there are little puzzle books for Conquest similar to chess puzzle books), and he was always very helpful, even sending me some extra materials - there's a 3-player version described in one of the old Conquest zines he sent me. I also got one of his newer versions where camels, keeps with drawbridges, etc are included called Grand Conquest. He left a great example for an independent developer supporting his own game and adding to it - making increasingly interesting versions, not just selling tons of cookie cutter expansions - for literally decades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
The second notable death at the hands of a drunk driver in recent days. Bob Clark who directed the classic film A Christmas Story along with his son were killed by a drunk driver last week.

That sucks.. I love that movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Welke
Germany
Cologne
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Donald left no relatives, so he is mainly mourned by his friends and all Conquest-addicts.
We are grateful that his work has come to a conclusion by creating the long awaited new version called Grand Conquest.
At first sight the differences to good old Conquest might seem small, but integrating camels, the already known catapult and siege engines gave new strategic possibilities that we still explore in regular matches.
His strategic hints will indeed be missed at the game fair in Essen, but his booth will not be deserted.
For additional information visit the German Internet site www.grand-conquest.de, which may be translated to English in the future.
At last let me refer to Quest-Chess, a Chess variant with Conquest principles, for which Donald designed interesting problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.