Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need help. I keep going back and forth about The Bloody Inn and need some input on the solo play from you fine folks.

I have a thing for small-box card games with easy setups and a decent theme, as seen in this corner of my game shelf:

So with that in mind, is it worth the buy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I really enjoy it both solo and with mrs JD. It was worth it to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's beautiful, and can be a bit of a puzzle. You're extremely constrained in terms of how many actions you can take in a turn, and you won't be able to do everything you want, which makes for tense tradeoffs. You don't use all the cards each game which gives some variability.

That doesn't seem to get me to play it though. I really should give it more of a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Moore
Germany
March
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fun. Poe in a box. I think the solo game has legs, as a small box puzzle. It's gone over well as a couple's game, too.

Funnily enough, I was taking it down off the shelf, tonight, when I put it back in favour of another neglected game: The Big Book of Madness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually enjoyed it more solo. Never did beat the highest score that's printed in the book before I traded it away. Not the games fault, though. If I didn't mind having a larger collection I would have kept it. I went from almost 100 games to 40ish earlier this year and am actually planning another auction soon to get it down in the 20s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shaud
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Shop at GameSurplus.com
badge
Shop at GameSurplus.com
mbmbmbmbmb
alamb1101 wrote:
I need help. I keep going back and forth about The Bloody Inn and need some input on the solo play from you fine folks.

I have a thing for small-box card games with easy setups and a decent theme, as seen in this corner of my game shelf:

So with that in mind, is it worth the buy?

Valley of the Kings thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Moore
Germany
March
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice collection; maybe consider adding Airborne Commander and Star Realms to it, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
repairmanjack wrote:
Nice collection; maybe consider adding Airborne Commander and Star Realms to it, too.
Thanks! Airborne commander is in there! And I have Star Realms on another shelf

Is there a thread for shelves? I want to post the rest of mine (and see others) and get comments like yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Moore
Germany
March
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alamb1101 wrote:
repairmanjack wrote:
Thanks! Airborne commander is in there! And I have Star Realms on another shelf

Is there a thread for shelves? I want to post the rest of mine (and see others) and get comments like yours.

If you post it, they will come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you post it, they will come.
Done!!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1626129/take-me-your-shelf-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and thanks all for the feedback! I think I'm going to pull the trigger on The Bloody Inn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leedy

Westerville
Ohio
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you get the Dungeon of D from? I didn't know it was sold boxed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rita Chen
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I very rarely see a shelf with Project Dreamscape on it -- love that little game.

I enjoy The Bloody Inn solo: the setup is quick, you can choose play a long game or a short one, and there are always hard decisions to make. The (excellent) artwork & the way the rulebook is written make it feel incredibly thematic. You really do feel like you're murdering and bribing, not just exchanging cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jovel Castaneda
Philippines
Makati / Marikina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to getting it...i also love soloable games that play well with multiplayer. The Bloody Inn plays well for both
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieve T
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, like the Bloody Inn a lot as a solo, plays quick and I always want to try again after finishing it. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bkahuna wrote:
Where did you get the Dungeon of D from? I didn't know it was sold boxed.
Custom order from Print & Play Games. Same with Island of D 2 and the Wipers and Omen boxes. Sort of a new addiction of mine...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Franklin1742 wrote:
What solo rules are you using for The Grizzled? There's a couple of paragraphs in the expansion rulebook that are all you need to make a very good solo game of it.
Same here, I combined the At Your Orders! expansion in the original box, I'm using those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know if I'm too late to the party but here are my thoughts on it.

I did own this game but have since parted ways. I did enjoy it for a time and it was fun exploring different strategies and combos in trying to achieve a high score. It was slightly disappointing that one or two aspects of the multi-player game did not translate the the solo game (the possibility of burying corpses under your opponent's cards, and vise versa) and also that the usefulness of certain cards was quite different in the solo game (the concierge for instances was great in the solo game but a lot less valuable in the multi-player game).

But it's not an expensive game and I feel like I definitely had my money's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrique Ribeiro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Worth only solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi

I bought this a while back but it didn't stay long. The game has a fun dark theme and an interesting mechanic but it's a "get the highest score" game, which means playing solo you are concentrating on the mechanic of scoring points rather than the theme of killing your guests.

This is I feel a common problem with highest-score solo games - without an opponent to outplay, you concentrate mainly on the mechanic rather than the theme. This can work if the theme is light (Limes) or immersive (Nations) but not I'm afraid in this case.

It's OK solo, but I played it 6 or 7 times and then traded it.

SJS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamiko
Poland
flag msg tools
henriquedsr989 wrote:
Worth only solo?

It's an ok game for 2 or 3 players, but a huge dissapointment for me in terms of solo play.

I don't mind playing for high scores (although I hate when creators don't include ranking in the rulebook!), but in this case the experience is just "meh"...

There are games that have really solid solo variants, that - even if different from the "multi" versions - are worth your money even if you ALWAYS play alone. I feel that in this case that added the solo variant, just because it's technically playable. Nothing more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamiko wrote:
henriquedsr989 wrote:
Worth only solo?

It's an ok game for 2 or 3 players, but a huge dissapointment for me in terms of solo play.

I don't mind playing for high scores (although I hate when creators don't include ranking in the rulebook!), but in this case the experience is just "meh"...

There are games that have really solid solo variants, that - even if different from the "multi" versions - are worth your money even if you ALWAYS play alone. I feel that in this case that added the solo variant, just because it's technically playable. Nothing more.

With all due respect, I disagree totally that The Bloody Inn has a solo mode just because it can. I picked it up cheap earlier this year, and have played it several times. The solo mode is close to the main game in rules, with just one real tweak. I found the game very interesting. A nice balance of strategic and tactical play, with some push-your-luck involved. Having to remove some cards from the deck before play, you never quite know what the make up of it will be. However, by passing through it twice, you start to get an idea after the first pass, letting you better anticipate what could happen the second time through. Once you get good at this, your scores improve, which is an effect I like to see in games. So personally, when you couple the game play with some pretty easy rules, it was a hit, and will likely make my Top 20 in the People's Choice voting.

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamiko
Poland
flag msg tools
ColintheFlea wrote:
With all due respect, I disagree totally that The Bloody Inn has a solo mode just because it can.
Colin

Well, it's not on the same level with Agricola Family Edition's "fake" solo mode, ofcourse.

I still do not recommend it, thou. Grabbed it because it was my last chance for out-of-print Polish edition and I saw it on People's Choice voting, but... meh. When I'm in a mood for solo with cards, I take my La Granja.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls