Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Agustin Rexach
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, BPPP

Been listening to the podcast for over a year and I love it. Thank you! I am preparing to start a podcast not related to gaming and I love the format of your show. I would like to know how you address the issue of song rights and licensing for your show.

I notice you very elegantly credit every artist at the end of each show. Is that enough to satisfy any legal issues from the use of songs? If you could shed any light on this topic it would be greatly appreciated.

Continued success!

Agustin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt franz
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Cardboard Carnage Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
Here we go again lol.

Agustin, the rules for song usage vary from state to state and you have to be very careful when using them. I know Patrick will address it better then I can but I think some good rules to follow are....
1)make sure it ties in with your topic or overall theme of show.

2)keep length to minimum. Some states say 10 seconds some do not, but using a majority of the song is not advised.

3)give full credit to the artist (title, assist, maybe label).

4)do not try to make money off its usage.

5)if a small local band or something see if you can get explicit written permission. I know Major Spoilers Podcast got permission for their comic book music.

6)don't use queen....they sue happy

Check your states laws also....very important. (If outside the U.S. then local laws.)

Good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt franz
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh oh if you can check out artist like Kevin MacLeod. He has free usage music as long as you give full credit in various forms. I'm sure there are other artist too that do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested in using classical music, imslp.org is a good place to find public domain and creative commons licensed music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelly
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We get this question every once in a while and my answer is, very carefully and with the assistance of competent legal counsel. Copyright restrictions are onerous and the penalties for violating them can be severe. Fair use is an exception to copyright restrictions and Matt has summarized it parameters more or less correctly.

I would note however, a part of what we want to do with our podcast is offer commentary about a diverse range of music. We include the bumpers not just to comment upon, parody, or satirize the subject matter we have discussed, but also so that we (actually I) can commentate upon the music itself. We like to expose facts and understanding about certain artists and their work. The bumpers are included for that purpose, first and foremost. That is why I do more than just say, this is this song, by this artist (with rare exception where the act of saying you haven't heard this person yet, do or do not, is the commentary intended). I want to illuminate understanding of the work, the artist, or the context in which it was made or made popular through the segments played.

If you are going to use music for any other purpose, you should obtain permission from the artist (and perhaps others) before you use it (as we have).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt franz
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Told you the man had more to offer

Now to get the reroll songs copywritted muhahaha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agustin Rexach
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you, Matt and Patrick. Sorry if the question's been asked before. I'm new to BGG and still learning how to navigate it.

Very grateful for the way you shared your knowledge with me.

Be well!

Agustin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agustin Rexach
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
cuteusagi wrote:
If you're interested in using classical music, imslp.org is a good place to find public domain and creative commons licensed music.

Excellent suggestion. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick C
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
Radical. Ninja.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While we're on the topic of songs, bands, composers, and the like ... I really feel that Men at Work have been underrepresented on the podcast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Bock
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I like my beer like I like my board games...
mbmbmbmbmb
pablopk wrote:
We get this question every once in a while and my answer is, very carefully and with the assistance of competent legal counsel. Copyright restrictions are onerous and the penalties for violating them can be severe. Fair use is an exception to copyright restrictions and Matt has summarized it parameters more or less correctly.

I would note however, a part of what we want to do with our podcast is offer commentary about a diverse range of music. We include the bumpers not just to comment upon, parody, or satirize the subject matter we have discussed, but also so that we (actually I) can commentate upon the music itself. We like to expose facts and understanding about certain artists and their work. The bumpers are included for that purpose, first and foremost. That is why I do more than just say, this is this song, by this artist (with rare exception where the act of saying you haven't heard this person yet, do or do not, is the commentary intended). I want to illuminate understanding of the work, the artist, or the context in which it was made or made popular through the segments played.

If you are going to use music for any other purpose, you should obtain permission from the artist (and perhaps others) before you use it (as we have).

Great thread and explanation. I love that you do this stuff, Patrick, super cool bonus to the show!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelly
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PostPapi wrote:
Thank you, Matt and Patrick. Sorry if the question's been asked before. I'm new to BGG and still learning how to navigate it.

Very grateful for the way you shared your knowledge with me.

Be well!

Agustin

No worries. Always happy to give my insights, limited as they may be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This post is nearly three years old, and they have gone to their own original music.

...and the grumpiest person of the day award goes to...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelly
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
defeldus wrote:
I’m listening to the newest episode and they are playing a very popular song from the 90s? I’m not grumpy, I was curious so I googled it and this thread came up. I wish more media could use music freely but that’s not reality.

The newest episode does not include any licensed music (or rather any licensed music to which we do not own the rights). I am curious to what you are referring. Are you listening to Episode 148?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
This post is nearly three years old, and they have gone to their own original music.

...and the grumpiest person of the day award goes to...

AH HA HA HA HA.

Since the original reply has been deleted, it looks like Chris Necro'd a thread to complain about how old it is.

Alas, Patrick commented too and quoted the original reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, now I look like a goob...hahaha! Not the first time, though. Patrick's quote was probably the OP's response to me, but there was an earlier one that seemed pretty aggressive. Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.