Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
We got the Buka deck recently and are still getting the hang of it, so my wife and I sat down to a match between the Buka and the Khind. We thought it would be interesting to pit gangs against ships.

I hate playing against the Khind. They remind me of a bunch of snotty kids with all their rules: "you can't do this," "you can't do that," "you can't do this unless you do that first . . . because I said so . . . ." I do, however, like to play them, so I grabbed the deck and my wife took the Buka deck.

Game 1:

The Buka started with 4 fire, which I was able to match with a couple of members of the Top gang, and I also threw the top card from her deck out: a ship! Soon we were up to six fire and I had changed to the No gang.

Then my wife played a bluff card. I find it is best to call bluffs if I am not far behind. You may lose a dragon, but I often find that with the loss of the two points of the bluff card I am able to regain the dragon. This time she wasn't bluffing, and I lost a dragon, but eventually won the fight with 8 fire and attracted two dragons.

The second round was in earth, and I discovered for the first of many times that my wife was able to make use of the B. P. family quite a bit against the Khind (we had only played Buka vs Pillar before this). I lost this fight, but managed to defend against the first Buka ship in the next fight. Unfortunately, it contained the captain that allows the Buka to discard all their opponents cards from the combat area, so I only attracted one dragon.

The next two fights were quick affairs with no net result, and Penny had one dragon on her side.

The last fight, however, was to the bitter end. We started in fire, and were soon up to 6 with my Top gang. Penny then landed a ship, and brought the score up to 7. I then played my mutant changing it to 8 earth, but then she played her mutant, changing it to 2 fire! I pushed it up to five, and Penny, having only one card left, had to retreat. As she had ran out of cards first, I got the crystal.

Crystals
Chris: 1
Penny: 0

Game 2:

The two races seemed very evenly matched as they were both pretty even in both earth and fire, and neither had any single large cards. Our second game was equally as close.

In our first round, Penny again played a bluff, which I called. I had the mutant card (which can only be played when your opponent has at least one dragon), and thought that I would play it if I lost a dragon. She wasn't bluffing, I lost a dragon and immediately attracted it back to the neutral area with my mutant card. I was a little worried about having played my mutant so early.

The next fight was quite long, and we made it up to 9 earth with me playing the No gang, including having to dig through my draw deck to get an extra member of it. The Buka also pushed it to 9 earth, with a bluff card, but there was no point calling the bluff as I had no members of the No gang left, and no other gang that could make it to 7. The Buka attracted two dragons.

The third fight was brief. I opened with six earth, hoping to catch the Buka off-guard, but found myself down three dragons.

The fourth fight staved off defeat for the Khind, as the Fun gang declared 10 fire. They were the second gang I had used, so I just had six cards, and was able to attract 2 dragons. The next fight was only two rounds, and so was the one after that, and I won both. I now had one dragon on my side.

The last fight was short but intense. Penny opened the fight in fire with a character card that allowed her to play any number of support cards, so she played a ship, and was able to immediately load it with three characters. When that ship landed, she was able to discard all the active cards in my combat area. I was low on cards, but still brought it up to six fire; that's when she played her mutant, with a previously played support card she had three earth, which I could not meet. As I had ran out of cards first, I lost the round.

Crystals
Chris:1
Penny: 1

Game 3:

Our first fight looked promising for the Khind until the Buka landed a ship and forced them to retreat. The Buka were ahead one dragon.

In the second fight, we again played back to back mutants, going from fire to earth and back to fire, for a declared power of 6 for the Buka. I only had four cards in my discard from the first fight, and three of them were from the Top gang for a total score of six, and some great special text. So I played the leadership card that allowed me to shuffle those four cards and take three. Unfortunately I only got two out of the three Top gang, so I had to retreat from this one as well, and was down two dragons.

In the thrid fight, things escalated pretty rapidly, and I soon had the power up to 8 fire, with Laughing Gas as a support card, so Penny could not use any special text on her cards. However, that did not prevent her from landing her ship, which had a power of 9 fire. I retreated, Penny attracted two dragons, for a total of four, and it was game over.

Crystals
Chris: 1
Penny: 5

In retrospect, it would have been better to retreat before she landed the ship--at least she would have only attracted one dragon. The ship with its total fire power was right in front of me, but I didn't really take notice.

The Buka are a pretty interesting deck and work well against the Khind. Even though I lost, it was good to see those little brats get a good spanking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Buka demand that the Khind play a bit atypicallly for them. Buka get their strength by being able to load to ships, which means not playing bluffs for support. Thus the Khind want to hit relatively hard straight off - playing multiple characters simultaneously rather than doing the customary slow-build.

Nice session report!

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls