Popular Tags: convention [+] asia [+] [View All]
Daniel Hor
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Anyone have any idea what has happened to GAMECON-2, the gaming convention that was supposed to happen at the end of last year?
The last I heard was that it was supposed to be moved to the beginning of this year, but obviously that isn't the case anymore.

I thought GAMECON-1 (held at the end of 2005) was pretty good... at least we have our own gaming convention in this part of the world.

Was the response not good enough to justify a second convention?

I was kinda looking forward to it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Lau
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heard it was going to happen in June, that's all I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
Here's the official story...

GAMECON2 was originally supposed to be an annual event held in December, but due to sponsorship constraints, was then changed to a once every 2 years event.

Bookings were made in 2006 for GAMECON2 to be held in February 2007 at the Securities Commission in Mont Kiara area. However, as the original sponsor tried to confirm the booking at the end of 2006, they were informed that new 2007 rates would apply, which was significantly higher than the original rates quoted.

Bookings were then cancelled, and since then, two event companies have been trying to secure and confirm a location for this event.

Initially, the event was slated for June/July at the Hartamas Shopping Center, but two weeks ago, another proposal to hold it in Bangsar Shopping Center was discussed.

Given the financial magnitude of this event (about RM100,000 for GAMECON1), absence of a major sponsor, and time constraint, we are now working on holding a mini-GAMECON in June, hoping to attract and secure a major sponsor for a full blown GAMECON in December.

Best I can advise is to keep your fingers crossed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hor
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ahhh... thanks for the explanation. At least that solves some mysteries. Hopefully this "mini-GAMECON" will be good enough (not too small though) to generate enough buzz and interest among people and perhaps even potential sponsors and participants.

Will be looking forward to it! And hopefully this time it really takes off!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kreisler Buy
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Oh Edwin ... my kids are really looking forward to it (because I pretty much over-hyped it to them for GameCon 1 haha), so you'd better not disappoint them .... and disappoint me to boo hoo.

^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
26-27 May
Bangsar Shopping Center

1. Centerpiece. Subbuteo Table Soccer. Official launch of the Malaysian FISTF league. 1st Satellite competition.

2. Main attraction. Last Defense of Humanity. Mass participation Warhammer40k version. Save the cheerleader; save the world!

3. Showcase #1. Award winning games by theme. Business, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, War, Strategy, Family, Horror/Mystery.

4. Showcase #2. Games in education. Walk through exhibition, and games by characteristic. Negotiation, diplomacy, language, logic/deduction, dexterity, resource management, out-of-the-box thinking.

5. Competitions. Blokus, Confrontation, Battlelore, Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne.

Now all we need is around Rm30-40k cash!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aik Yong Heng
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
Visit me @ aikyong.com!
badge
This is Bubbles the pig and his best friend is Panda!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! So who's our RM30-40k hero(es)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kirby
Malaysia
KL
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I ain't got much cash, but I'm willing to provide my services in demoing games for free......... will even supply the terrain and miniatures for the demo.

Mind you, if everyone donates a kidney......... LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Leong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
I thought if one fella donated a kidney, that would be enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kirby
Malaysia
KL
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well volunteered that man!!! LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend has it that Conan (anemesis) has 4 kidneys, 2 hearts, 2 pairs of eggs and 2 sausages... So... what is one kidney to Mr. Conan... hehe What do ya say Conan, wanna volunteer? We'll be eternally grateful to you, Oh Legendary Hero of the East...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I heard Aycee is a certified Kidney Import/Exporter with business contacts in Thailand, Mexico, China and even Iraq... But even in this volatile business, the contacts can only supply that many kidneys (at most two or 4 kidneys if you are Conan). I heard he pays RM100 per kidney... Volunteers, anyone? *wink* If interested, please contact Aycee or jack208 (Kidney OEM reseller).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
sorry folks, we didn't get enought kidneys in time to do the may school holidays show...

only good news is that i write again for the nst saturday edition starting june... its got a nice theme: top 5 games... and we have some zany themes in store...

also cards & boards is taking a broader view of the hobby so less indepth magic/ccg analysis will be replaced by broader view of board games, etc. from what the editor tells me, the "new" column should already be in motion.

which positions us well to really publisize IF & WHEN the next GAMECON will take place.

once again, all we need... are a few kidneys...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C.K. Au
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eer... like lat ar. Hmm.. friedrice, we don't need your "kidney" now. When can we return it to you?

Anyway since we cudn't afford proper cooling system, the last we checked we saw some fungus growing on it. So better take it back fast.

We need "eyeballs" now for the newspaper articles. You got some? goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kirby
Malaysia
KL
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news about the newspaper elements...... sad about the MiniCon, but fingers crossed for the full GAMECON-2 later.

Regarding the newspapers.... if they are looking at a wider scope of the hobby, maybe get them to come to Mage Cafe next Saturday (9th June) for the Savage Worlds game I'm running. Will be a lot of fun and have loads of 'eye-candy' for piccies for the paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
btw, for all gamecon starved gamers, may i remind you that for the last 2 years running, the folks at mmu in ayer keroh, melaka have put on a wonderful show called gacc - games, animae & comics convention?

its quite a big do, packed to the brim and we have had growing presense there.

in view of the touch & go situation with gamecon (means= need tons of money!), i think we should increase our presense in gacc next year and treat it like gamecon. euro games, minis, etc. fyi, melaka is near enough for most kl gamers to get to and guess what, also near and nice enough for sporean gamers to get to!

what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kreisler Buy
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Proposal sent to you Edwin. Check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lee
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GACC sure sounds interesting. I found the website at http://whatisgacc.com/index.html

Turns out their event this year was in March, so it's finished already.

It'll be interesting to see what they have planned for next year, and I'm sure Singaproeans would be keen too. It's not a long trip.

I would like to know more about the Eurogames Retreat, if Edwin is doing that again this year. It was at Awana last year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
GACC
-----
Yea, this is usually in the 1st quarter of the year, and has been growing in success! We will definitely position this as one of the majors for 2008 as we have more than enough time to work with them for the next one.

GAMECON
--------
Received a wonderful proposal by Kreisler, so I will be exploring this as soon as possible and will let you know the timing as soon as Kreisler gives me the information.

EURO GAME RETREAT
------------------
This will definitely be in Awana again, and I am timing it for end-October or early November. The whole idea is that this is towards the holiday season, and most importantly, after Essen, so as a bonus, all participants will get 1st hand look at all the hot releases which we bring back personally from Essen!

Looking forward to a great year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teik Oh
United Kingdom
PRESTON
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hi folks. found this thread as I am a Penangnite working in U.K. and have been to Essen past 3 years. Back home later this month including in KL for a few days. Anywhere then I can play a few board games with the locals?

Anyone need anything specific brought back from UK? pm me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
hi tco,

glad to find another m'sian gamer!

here are a couple of places you can join gamers:

penang
------
- 3rd dimension cafe, bukit jambul area. you can find their website in www.boardgamecafe.net

kl
--
- toybox, paramount garden, pj. www.toybox.com.my
- mage cafe, damansara jaya, pj. you can find their location on www.boardgamecafe.net

websites
-------
- http://web.mac.com/imagine_newszine - for all the latest games in malaysia!
- www.boardgamecafe.net - for all the gaming events in kl/penang/ipoh.

thanks for your offer but with gbp running around RM6.7 = GBP1, i think gamers are buying games cheaper here than from uk!

however, if it not to omuch trouble, i have been looking for the new hasbro subbuteo stadium edition, which i can't seem to get any of the uk online stores to ship to malaysia!

look forward to hearing from you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenrick C
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bump?

Getting back on topic...

What happened to GAMECON-2?

I missed the 1st, and always wondered when the next will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
actually its been organized under different guises since then. mini-con at klcc, thinkcon early this year at cempaka schools.

also you can pop down to spore for sporecon in june.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenrick C
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
orly?

I always wondered what a thinkcon was. It sounded like an effort to brainwash those kids at the schools into being boardgamers. A noble movement, but not exactly what I was looking for.

So... whats stopping us from organizing under a single guise, like say, GameCon-2?

June nxt year? Hmm, I may try that... will be free then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
thinkcon is far from a brainwashing exercise, but a real effort to use selected eurogames as tools for exposing students to critical thinking in classroom.

eurogames are now used in classroom for 6 subjects at primary to secondary levels - english, math, science, geography, history and commerce - and thinkcon is exactly like gamecon in that it is a showcase of all sorts of games, including tournaments!

to answer your question (and the same question on many gamer's minds), what is preventing gamecon2?

in simple terms - $$$.

gamecon1 cost almost Rm50k to host - the hall alone cost rm18,000 per day (mid valley exhibition center) - and we have not been able to secure a venue sponsor since then (everyone wants to charge for it).

we did get involved as a supporting show in certain exhibitions (eg. computer gamers at klcc & mmu @ putrajaya) and also in colleges (eg. taylors, help, etc), so we may be able to develop one of these into a main show.

nonetheless, we are about to launch a major Games Meetup with Borders and Starbucks-in-Borders stores from october. this is aimed at exposing games to the mass market and it happens once a month at every Borders/Starbucks-in-Borders stores.

check out the work-in-progress site:
gamesmeetup.blogspot.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.