BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Publications » Knucklebones

Subject: Knucklebones and Games Quarterly rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: magazine [+] kbones [+] [View All]
Brandan DuChateau
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Many of you may have heard Games Quarterly will no longer be published. The good news is Knucklebones will step in to help ease the pain of losing a publication. Knucklebones is in no way connected to Games Quarterly and is doing this out of the goodness of their game hearts (i.e., we’re not liable for the subscriptions).

What exactly are we doing? Well, we got the postal addresses of the former subscribers. Because we’d rather e-mail you this offer than mail it to you (because it’s faster), we’re asking you to e-mail us at brandand@jonespublishing.com with your name, address and phone number. THIS IS IMPORTANT: Put Games Quarterly in the subject line. Brandan, that’s me, will check the Games Quarterly subscriber list to make sure your information is on it and updated. I will reply with how many issues of Knucklebones you qualify for. Current Knucklebones subscriber's will have their subscriptions extended.

Tell your friends because we’re hoping to get in touch with folks via e-mail before we send out a mailing.

P.S. As far as game expansion inserts, that’s up to the advertisers/game companies. Tell your favorite publisher you want to see their expansions in Knucklebones magazine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Denysenko

Rochester
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great gesture. Even though I was not affected, I did order your magazine partly because of your generosity. Love the mag!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
How about us international subscribers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great! Thank you very much!
Cheers,
David

edit: Within minutes of sending an email I had a response and confirmation of that my GQ subscription qualified. They got my further subscription - magazine sight unseen. I really hope that the Rio Grande and other publishers who visit BGG will support this publication and allow them to offer expansions.

Thanks again Knucklebones!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Breitenbach
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just filled out your trial issue form because of this post. I've never picked up your mag before -- the closest place that carries it is more than 200 miles away from where I live -- so I have never even considered subscribing to it before. Until I read your post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Kudos! I just got my 1 free subscription/sample issue the other day and was wowed with the professionalism, etc in it. Keep up the good works! Hopefully I can subscribe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am already a subscriber and my only complaint is I wish it came out monthly. Great mag! Keep up the good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This shows a lot of class. I just subscribed to your magazine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
cool Not only is this an enormously kind gesture, but the Knucklebones are just great people all ways around. I just spent the week with them at GTS.

If you are a Games Quarterly subscriber, you are going to LOVE Knucklebones. If you already are a Knucklebones subscriber, you know what I am talking about. If you are NOT a Knucklebones subscriber, please subscribe and support not only a great magazine but the awesome people behind it.

-Cap'n John Morgan

PS: This message is not a paid endorsement. I am simply grateful for the magazine and the knowledge imparted by the folks of Knucklebones at GTS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hinsz
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a former Games Quarterly subscriber I would like to thank you for extending this offer. The goodwill alone that this shows on the part of Knucklebones makes me want to extend my subscription site unseen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It has already been said but I'll say it one more time - what a wonderful thing to do. Kudos to everyone at Knucklebones!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knucklebones Editor
United States
Unspecified
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
How about us international subscribers?

Sarah here, from Knucklebones. Yep, international subscribers qualify too. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A kind soul here on BGG sent me a few issues of KB and I love it! I only got GQ for the inserts and barely glanced at the advertising...errr magazine. KB has great reviews, articles and content. I am embarassed that I never knew it existed before this.

...now to contact the Game Publishers about getting the Die Cathers, and Dungeon Twister expansion in the magazine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hisst Ka wrote:
...now to contact the Game Publishers about getting the Die Cathers... in the magazine.

Unfortunately, this probably isn't going to happen.

In another thread, Jay Tummelson of Rio Grande Games wrote:

riogames wrote:
The owners of Spielbox have recently told me that I cannot print and distribute the Cathar expansion as they own all rights to it and want to continue selling it as part of the Almanac. They are concerned that making it available elsewhere will diminish its exclusive value to their customers. In conversations earlier this year with Spielbox, I had understood I would have access to all their expansions 6 - 12 months after they were published. They recently corrected my understanding to exclude Cathar, but include all other past or future expansions included in SPielbox. I apologize for promising something I cannot offer. I will be looking for other things to offer, but it cannot be Cathar. Thanks for your understanding.

(Source: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea...)

Additionally, an article on BoardGame News stated:

BoardGame News wrote:
Rio Grande publisher Jay Tummelson says that this expansion will not appear in another publication at the request of Spielbox, the original publisher of the expansion.

(Source: http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do or do not, there is no try.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good form, Knucklebones... good form!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schloesser
United States
Jefferson City
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a fantastic gesture! It certainly makes me proud to be a contributor to the magazine. Kudos to everyone at Jones Publishing for this great goodwill gesture!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very classy guesture. thumbsup

I had been a regular puchaser through my local Barnes & Noble because I had hoped that my purchases would help keep it on the shelf. Alas, that has not happened since I haven't seen a new issue there since January. I guess this is as good a time as any and a good reason to start a subscription.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilder
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the first issue of Knucklebones free at the Chicago Toy and Game fair in 2005, and I subscribed immediately. I've since got an extension to the subscription when Games International went under, and now another extension upon Games Quarterly collapse. AND I've re-upped my subscription myself for two more years recently. I think I'm good through 2009 by now, and I couldn't be happier. I LOVE the magazine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len Robinson
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sent my message to Knucklebones, got a quick reply. Thanks, Knucklebones, I am looking forward to my 3 issues and I am sure I will be continuing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mistretta
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that Knucklebones also did this when Games International Magazine stopped publication.

A class act all the way and a great mag too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice, KB. You've earned me at least picking up a copy to give it a look.

Question though - our gaming organization tried to contact you many times about volume subscription deals and never heard back. Are you not doing that for large game groups any longer?

...Sheylon
www.boardgamebabylon.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael,

In our area I have had luck finding Knucklebones at Barnes & Noble, Books A Million, Borders and occasionally HobbyTown.

Like others have said, I think this is a terrific gesture on the part of Jones Publishing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bummer...

I'll still let 'em know Id like to see other expansions in KB though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McClendon
United States
Girard
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. I'm a KB subscriber and it's a great magazine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.