Subject: Where to buy/play games near Manchester, England rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: flgs [+] uk [+] [View All]
Andy Phillips
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I played board games quite a bit with friends at uni (mostly Settlers of Catan, but also carcassone and El Grande), but now I've joined the tax paying fraternity and moved to a new part of the country I don't know where I'm at.

Is there any good games shops in the Manchester area, I can't seem to find any on the web.

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Wood
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Manchester

There's a Travelling Man on Dale Street, but the wider selection (and game night) can be found in the form of Fan Boy 3 on Newton Street - these are both right in the centre and literally just round the corner from each other.
There's a few game nights to be had around the area, but my pick of the bunch are the Variable Magers who meet every Tuesday at various members' houses. There's details at www.magers.co.uk along with a members list with BGG usernames to boot.

Hope this helps and I'm sure we'll see you around and about!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon craddock
United Kingdom
widnes
cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.fanboy3.co.uk/

Fanboy3 is your first point of call.
A well stocked store in the center of town
with lots of games playing space available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll third these responses and also mention the Man O'War games club which meets on Saturday at a pub in Manchester City Centre.

For addresses, contact details etc see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/UK_faq

And welcome to Manchester!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
And don't forget .....

Come on down to The Cast are Dice in Stoke in August for the best weekend's board gaming in the UK! *

N.

* - Completely biased opinion which is impossible to back up with any statistics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andy,

Welcome to BGG.

I can support the recommendations for Fanboy3 and Travelling Man in the city centre... I usually park up at Ducie street (near Piccadilly station) and walk down Dale street, for easy access to both of these stores... of course I generally buy stuff from Shire Games (in Stoke on Trent)(http://www.shiregames.co.uk) these days, as they have a much bigger selection of games, friendly staff, and have a weekly game night at the shop, which I attend.

I also recommend the Tuesday night game group (currently either at my place or Eddy's), which Simon mentioned. Check out the website (http://www.magers.co.uk), or drop me a geekmail for info.

Nick mentioned Cast are Dice (http://www.thecastaredice.co.uk/) which is in August... I went last year and it was loads of fun. I'd never been to a boardgames convention before, and I would heartily recommend this one as an introduction.

(edit) Finally, just a word of warning re Fanboy... if you go in on a weekend the shop will be wall-to-wall with CCGers playing Yu-gi-oh, or whatever the latest game is, and you'll be hard-pressed to even see the boardgames section, let alone browse!

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Wood
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll certainly join the chorus of voices recommending ShireGamers Not quite Manchester, I know, but definitely worth the trip down to Stoke - and now they're twice weekly!
And The Cast are Dice is a MUST cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whereabouts in Manchester are you, so we can tell you about the nearest group....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy neglected to mention that his favourite boardgame club meets on Saturday. Beyond Monopoly! is just a few metres from the railway station in York. We'll be very happy to see you.

Cheers,
Jon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Phillips
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, loads of responses. I'll certainly take a look at all these URLs. I perhaps should have said, I am based in Macclesfield, so the ones in Manchester city centre or Stoke are roughly equidistant.

Something more local would be perfect, but I'll certainly be checking some of these out.

Many thanks to everyone that has posted (and if there is any more, I'd love to hear them).

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Phillips
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, loads of responses. I'll certainly take a look at all these URLs. I perhaps should have said, I am based in Macclesfield, so the ones in Manchester city centre or Stoke are roughly equidistant.

Something more local would be perfect, but I'll certainly be checking some of these out.

Many thanks to everyone that has posted (and if there is any more, I'd love to hear them).

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Bracegirdle
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy
Manchester Board Gamers meet at Romiley on first and third Saturdays of the month. There tends to be a mix of Wargames and Euro games.
You would be most welcome.

Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also a games club near Macclesfield, meeting on a Monday night - it is mainly miniatures games but a significant sub-section play German style boardgames too. Details can be found at http://www.aceinternet.co.uk/~maccwar/index.htm

Eddy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tracey james
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
All new minatures and card games

www.weirdandwonderful666.piczo.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teik Oh
United Kingdom
PRESTON
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Manchester Andy! Indeed you have received great advice from folks here, especially detailed ones from your namesake Andy.

Just wanted to add that FanBoy3 has a far bigger selection of board games than Travelling Man (both within 2 minutes walk of each other and about 5 minutes from Picadilly station). It is an actual gameshop and though there are lots more card and miniatures games players, they run a regular Sunday evening gaming from 7-10pm. Actual board games section is quite good, more than 2 full shelves. You do have to walk in behind card gamers on tables besides shelves though Travelling Man has smaller selection and it is really a comics shop which sells games. Worth checking out if you cannot find it at FanBoy3.

We play regularly every Tuesday evening at aforementioned Andy's and Ed's place as well if you want to try mid-week gaming. One is at Stockport so less than 15miles for you. Drop any of us a line or check weblink provided.

Cheers. Enjoy boardgaming in Manchester!

Chooi
www.magers.co.uk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls