Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, my name is Paul Grogan and welcome to the last in a series of sneak preview articles for the game Adrenaline, a new game from designer Filip Neduk and published by Czech Games Edition. In this preview, I’m going to be covering the rules for Powerups and alternative game modes.

If you haven't read the previous previews yet: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3

Powerups

If you remember back to Preview 2, I mentioned that some of the Ammo tiles depicted a Powerup card, and if you grab one of these tiles you get the 2 ammo, and a super-special-card from the super-special-deck of Powerups.

Powerup cards go in your hand, but they are not actions to play them, you just use them whenever the time is right. They do cool things, like teleport you to somewhere else in the arena, deal extra damage and so on.

“But Paul, I don’t like the effect of this card, I’m never going to use it, this game sucks!”

Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered - you’ll notice at the bottom of each card is the icon of an ammo cube; you can always just discard the Powerup card as if it was that type of ammo.

When Powerup cards are combined with the right weapon, at just the right time, the effects can be awesome. I have proof of this from the many people who helped test the game at various conventions who were able to do some really cool stuff.

Alternative Modes of Play
The basic rules are for Deathmatch play, where you run around and shoot each other until enough people have died. However, the game comes with two additional modes of play too.

In Spawnpoint Domination, you are also trying to control the different spawnpoints in the arena. You do this by either dealing damage to them with a weapon, or ending your turn on the space, and being the only one there. When you tag a spawnpoint, you place one of your damage markers on the appropriate row of the Domination board.

At the end of the game, there is no bonus score for the number of killshots. Instead, points are awarded for each of the 3 spawnpoints, based on how many tags players have on there.

In Turret mode, the arena fights back! In this mode, you do not put ammo tiles in the arena itself. Instead, each place where there was ammo, there is now a turret. And, at the start of the game, you place 5 Ammo tiles on the turret board.

When you end your turn on a turret space, you can either pick up one of the 5 Ammo tiles (which is then refreshed), or you can commandeer the turret. To do this, you place your blood drop marker onto the turret itself. Control of turrets is worth points at the end of the game, but more importantly, if any other player enters the space with your turret, it shoots them!

And that brings us to the end of the previews. If you want more information on the game, the rulebook should be out at the end of this week, and the official how-to-play video is due out just before Essen.
Thanks for reading, and I hope you have found these previews useful in knowing whether this is a game you would be interested in.

And if you are at Essen, please stop by the CGE booth to say Hi.

Thanks for reading. Now, where’s my Vortex Cannon, I've got some mini-black holes to make...

Paul Grogan
Gaming Rules!
on behalf of CGE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
>When Powerup cards are combined with the right weapon,
When you say 'the right weapon', does that mean some powerups have an actual matching weapon? Or do you mean, some combo's are just more effective?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, my name is Rich P woodnoggin and I'm wondering why Paul tells us his name at the start of every preview article when it's written (twice!) to the left of his post.

Thanks for the previews!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
Hi, my name is Rich P woodnoggin and I'm wondering why Paul tells us his name at the start of every preview article when it's written (twice!) to the left of his post.

Thanks for the previews!

That's exactly why. That way you know his name is not Paul Grogran Paul Grogan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Spanaway
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_vinman wrote:
When you say 'the right weapon', does that mean some powerups have an actual matching weapon? Or do you mean, some combo's are just more effective?

I'm pretty sure it is just more effective when combined with some weapons.

Is there a hand limit to power ups? I know you can only hold three weapons at once.

Also, any hint or comment as to the effectiveness of a bot so you can play 2 player?

Thanks for the previews!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wallwaster wrote:
woodnoggin wrote:

Thanks for the previews!

That's exactly why. That way you know his name is not Paul Grogran Paul Grogan

Most likely he cuts and pastes the articles to several forums, blogs, social media, and other sites. Not all of them might have the same login name, so it makes things more clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:

force of habit from writing scripts to all my videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sponkey21 wrote:
the_vinman wrote:

I'm pretty sure it is just more effective when combined with some weapons.

Is there a hand limit to power ups? I know you can only hold three weapons at once.

Also, any hint or comment as to the effectiveness of a bot so you can play 2 player?

No specific weapon in mind, but certain weapons do work better with others. Like all weapons that need your opponents to be in a line - the Newton powerup to move them first is good.

Hand limit of 3 powerups.

2-player mode couldnt get working properly. The game does "work" with two, and I know people that played it and enjoyed it, but it was just running around and shooting each other. There was none of the decisions that make the multiplayer mode interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
Most likely he cuts and pastes the articles to several forums, blogs, social media, and other sites. Not all of them might have the same login name, so it makes things more clear.
Nope, its only here. I'll drop it next time as it does look odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

2-player mode couldnt get working properly. The game does "work" with two, and I know people that played it and enjoyed it, but it was just running around and shooting each other. There was none of the decisions that make the multiplayer mode interesting.

Oh I'm sad to hear that What about both players playing two characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai B.
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
wallwaster wrote:
[q="PaulGrogan"]

Or is it possible to create an AI for the non players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Spanaway
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pellaeon wrote:
wallwaster wrote:
[q="PaulGrogan"]

There has got to be a way to house rule or variant with bots. I know that there are variants like RedJak's for Star Wars: Imperial Assault that introduce priority targets and a decision tree printed on a card for each imperial character. You could easily make a few decision trees so you could even play 5 players regardless of how many humans, and each card could have a different priority. One could always fire on anyone within range if it has ammo, one can prioritize those near death, one can prioritize bonus cards and weapons early on and then when full focus on doing maximum damage to individuals or....

I think it can happen, and I am pretty sure someone will make it happen. I sure hope so, because I play 2 or 1 player games 75% of the time, and I really wanna play this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sponkey21 wrote:
Pellaeon wrote:
wallwaster wrote:

There has got to be a way to house rule or variant with bots. I know that there are variants like RedJak's for Star Wars: Imperial Assault that introduce priority targets and a decision tree printed on a card for each imperial character. You could easily make a few decision trees so you could even play 5 players regardless of how many humans, and each card could have a different priority. One could always fire on anyone within range if it has ammo, one can prioritize those near death, one can prioritize bonus cards and weapons early on and then when full focus on doing maximum damage to individuals or....

I think it can happen, and I am pretty sure someone will make it happen. I sure hope so, because I play 2 or 1 player games 75% of the time, and I really wanna play this game.

That sounds like a lot of work, I'll just wait for someone else to do that But I'm pretty sure 2v2 will be fine too. I can already imagine shooting my other character for points, and also making that character faster

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sae
msg tools
Thank you for the previews.
Just read the rules and pre-ordered for essen pickup.

May I know the card size for sleeves?
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The weapon cards are the same size as the big cards from Space Alert I think. I know when I asked CGE, they told me that there were sleeves already available in this size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're the same size as Tash Kalar cards.
Swan Panasia has them (same as Koryo cards)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
The sleeve size is now added to the list: Item for Geeklist "Card Sleeve Sizes for Games"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.