Recommend
17 
 Thumb up
 Hide
412 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [17] | 

Star Realms» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Star Realms Masters Series – Main Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Star Realms Masters Series, Season 2: The Colony Wars: Bigger, Better, and Direct to Hand
(Literally More Organized Star Realms Competition Than You Can Shake A Skiff At)

Warning: this is scheduled to be a long event, taking about 6 months total, but it will hopefully be a very enjoyable event for those who choose to participate. Participants will be expected to play matches at a reasonable pace, particularly in the qualification phase; players who routinely take more than 3 days to complete a match should not register. The event will utilize Challonge, so participants will be expected to have a Challonge account, which are free.

Executive Summary
Compete in qualification tournaments for chance to join a discipline (equivalent to a division in a standard league), then compete against your discipline peers in several tournaments over the course of a few months to determine who is the best in that discipline.

Overview
The Masters Series will be a total of 57 tournaments, and will actually be seven parallel events, called Disciplines. The disciplines map, on a 1-to-1 basis, to digital expansions. For this season, the disciplines will be Promos 1 (Aces), Bases, Events, Heroes, Fleets, Cosmic, and Promos 2 (Deuces). Each discipline will be a series of ten events.

There will be a qualification tournament for each discipline, which will have open registration. For those that qualify to compete in the discipline, this will be followed by a series of six crossover tournaments (known as the circuit), the grind round robin competition, an exhibition tournament open to everyone, and finally a mastery tournament split into two halves. Players will earn trophy points during qualification, in the grind, and on the circuit; a form of ranking points which will directly translate to advantages in the mastery tournament. While winning a discipline is the ultimate goal, winning or doing well in any of the tournaments leading up to the final will be accomplishments in their own right.

This is a graphic attempting to show the structure of each discipline.


Qualification
There will be seven qualification tournaments, one for each discipline. Participants will register for each qualification tournament separately, and may choose to participate in as few or as many as they wish. Each qualification event will be a seven-round swiss tournament, played exclusively with the digital expansion that the discipline represents, and the Colony Wars base set. For example, the Bases discipline qualification tournament will be W-B. In each round, participants will play a two-game set against another player. After six rounds, the top-16 players will qualify for further discipline competition. However, participation in disciplines is limited, for every two disciplines in which a player qualifies after the first, they will be allowed to compete in one additional discipline, with 4 being the maximum.

The Circuit
Once qualified, discipline members will play in a series of six crossover tournaments. Each crossover tournament will include the roster of qualifiers from two of the seven disciplines. The crossover tournament will be a double-elimination tournament using the combination of digital expansion content represented by the two disciplines. For example, when the Bases discipline crosses over with the Fleets discipline, that tournament will be played as W-BF. Participants who qualify for a discipline are encouraged to own all of the other digital expansions in order to participate in every crossover tournament. Players will earn trophy points based on how they finish in each crossover, and the discipline member who makes it the furthest will earn a spot in the mastery invitational.

The Exhibition
Discipline members will also be able to participate in a large single elimination tournament, along with absolutely anyone else who wishes to participate. Each discipline will have their own, and they will take place one at a time over the course of the season. These tournaments are an opportunity for more players to be a part of the masters series, even if they didn't manage to qualify. The winner of the exhibition will earn a spot in the mastery invitational, even if they are not a discipline member.

Star Realms Masters Series -- Season 2, Exhibition Thread

The Grind
Discipline members will also participate in a season-long round robin competition. Each week of the season, members will be paired up with one of their peers to play a two-game set. Players will earn trophy points based on their overall performance, and the member who wins the most games over the course of the season will earn a spot in the mastery invitational. Any invitational vacancies caused by players earning multiple invites will be filled by the next highest finishers in the Grind.

Mastery
After all of the regular season tournaments have been played, the discipline members will proceed to play in the Mastery Tournament. Each mastery tournament is split into two halves. The first half is the Open, where all Discipline members will compete in a single elimination bracket. In this half, players who have earned more trophy points over the course of the season than their opponents will have a slight advantage. The second half is the Invitational, where the eight players who earned invites will compete in a second single elimination tournament. The winners of the two halves will then face each other in the grand finale to determine the discipline master, who will then go on to face the other discipline masters in a bonus grand masters round robin competition.

Registration
Players who would like to participate in in Masters Series will need to follow the below links to the individual Discipline qualification tournament registration pages. Ensure that after signing up, you update your display name to be the same as your Star Realms in game name, if it is not already. If you have never participated in one of my tournaments, please also send me a geekmail to introduce yourself. If you are not a regular BGG user, making geekmail an unreliable means of contact, you will need to be able to be contacted via facebook messenger. After registering for the qualifiers, contact Trayton Otto or myself via FB message to be added to the messenger group.

Make sure to subscribe to this thread. I will be posting links to the individual Discipline threads, as well as other updates.

Star Realms Masters Series -- Season 2, Bases Discipline
Star Realms Masters Series -- Season 2, Fleets Discipline
Star Realms Masters Series -- Season 2, Heroes Discipline
Star Realms Masters Series -- Season 2, Aces Discipline
Star Realms Masters Series -- Season 2, Events Discipline
Star Realms Masters Series -- Season 2, Deuces Discipline
Star Realms Masters Series -- Season 2, Cosmic Discipline
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Bollmann
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
Should I also not register if I can anticipate not being able to play for, say, two full weeks within this 4-month period? In other words, will this be one long continuous event of non-stop playing?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
Amaroid wrote:
Should I also not register if I can anticipate not being able to play for, say, two full weeks within this 4-month period? In other words, will this be one long continuous event of non-stop playing?
It depends on when your unavailability falls. In general though, as long as you are around for the first week of whichever qualifiers you sign up for, you are good. After qualifying, you can opt out of other tournaments as necessary.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trayton Otto
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
You're crazy for running this. I'm crazy for signing up for all 6. You've just earned a new Chrome window with 14 tabs for tracking this.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
ColinMacLeod wrote:
You're crazy for running this. I'm crazy for signing up for all 6. You've just earned a new Chrome window with 14 tabs for tracking this.
I am a bit crazy. Ideally, the use of Challonge will help. We will see.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
// season 1 calendar post was removed, to avoid confusion.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Muniak
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
"Your [crankyday] were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should."

-Ian
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erskine Thompson
United States
Rome
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
TieDyedGuy wrote:
"Your [crankyday] were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should."

-Ian


"Ha! I brought all you people here to defend me, and the only one on MY side is the blood-sucking lawyer!"
- John
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pan da
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
ScrabbleRouser wrote:
TieDyedGuy wrote:
"Your [crankyday] were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should."

-Ian


"Ha! I brought all you people here to defend me, and the only one on MY side is the blood-sucking lawyer!"
- John


"People are going to make fun of me because I don't know what we're quoting."

- AngryPanda
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sarkissian
United States
Richmond
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
AngryPanda wrote:
ScrabbleRouser wrote:
TieDyedGuy wrote:
"Your [crankyday] were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should."

-Ian


"Ha! I brought all you people here to defend me, and the only one on MY side is the blood-sucking lawyer!"
- John


"People are going to make fun of me because I don't know what we're quoting."

- AngryPanda


"Welcome to Jurassic Panda"

-SilentAl (almost John Hammond)
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Gibbs
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
...you do realize there is no discipline (currently) for "Vanilla"? I assume this is intentional, although a serious slight to the play style.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amaro Barreal
Switzerland
Basel
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
CCKinnison wrote:
...you do realize there is no discipline (currently) for "Vanilla"? I assume this is intentional, although a serious slight to the play style.


If there would be a Vanilla discipline, all crossover-tournaments in the second stage pairing Vanilla with some other expansion would be a repetition of the initial tournament of said expansion.
Not a problem, I guess, but not that much fun either
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
Arcesius wrote:
CCKinnison wrote:
...you do realize there is no discipline (currently) for "Vanilla"? I assume this is intentional, although a serious slight to the play style.

If there would be a Vanilla discipline, all crossover-tournaments in the second stage pairing Vanilla with some other expansion would be a repetition of the initial tournament of said expansion.
Not a problem, I guess, but not that much fun either

Yes. It was intentional that 'Vanilla' was not considered a Discipline for this event series, and in fact, most players' preferred formats are not a Disciplines, and will not be featured in the series. The disciplines are specifically attached to expansions, not to formats, and I believe that experience playing lots of Type-V will be quite helpful here.

While players who play (1BH), (G1B), (1BEH), (G1BH), and (A) may all have more experience with the expansions than a Vanilla player. single-expansion formats are much more vanilla than the larger deck formats expansion enthusiasts typically play. Adjusting for the absence of certain expansion content can be just as difficult as adjusting for the presence of certain content.

Many of the crossover tournaments will be played in formats that most people will have never played before. Anecdotally, I challenged Klemp during a live-stream with one of my favorite formats, and his words were "I don't think I've ever played a (1E) game before.." which made me both happy and sad at the same time.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Newport
msg tools
badge
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power. Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The force shall free me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
SilentAl wrote:
AngryPanda wrote:
ScrabbleRouser wrote:
TieDyedGuy wrote:
"Your [crankyday] were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should."

-Ian


"Ha! I brought all you people here to defend me, and the only one on MY side is the blood-sucking lawyer!"
- John


"People are going to make fun of me because I don't know what we're quoting."

- AngryPanda


"Welcome to Jurassic Panda"

-SilentAl (almost John Hammond)


"A day may come when the decks of men fail. When we forsake our ships and have all of our bases broken through. But it is not this day." - DarthChronos (but probably also Aragorn)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erskine Thompson
United States
Rome
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
Quote:
"A day may come when the decks of men fail. When we forsake our ships and have all of our bases broken through. But it is not this day." - DarthChronos (but probably also Aragorn)


Wait a minute. Decks of Men? Breaking bases? Are we playing Star Realms or Smash Up here?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
ScrabbleRouser wrote:
Quote:
"A day may come when the decks of men fail. When we forsake our ships and have all of our bases broken through. But it is not this day." - DarthChronos (but probably also Aragorn)


Wait a minute. Decks of Men? Breaking bases? Are we playing Star Realms or Smash Up here?


Smashed Realms. You take 2 Realms games, mix them together, and try to play. It is called Smashed Realms because you would need to be very intoxicated to not realize that the idea is stupid.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl P (Chazzmo)
United States
Garnet Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
Any Prizes?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
chopsueycop wrote:
Any Prizes?

There are not currently any prizes designated for these events. While I would love to be able to offer prizes, and there may end up being prizes, I want it to be known up front that these events are primarily for the fun of the game.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pan da
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
CrankyDay wrote:
chopsueycop wrote:
Any Prizes?

There are not currently any prizes designated for these events. While I would love to be able to offer prizes, and there may end up being prizes, I want it to be known up front that these events are primarily for the fun of the game.


**** THAT I'M OUT ->
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Low
Australia
Canberra BC
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
AngryPanda wrote:
CrankyDay wrote:
chopsueycop wrote:
Any Prizes?

There are not currently any prizes designated for these events. While I would love to be able to offer prizes, and there may end up being prizes, I want it to be known up front that these events are primarily for the fun of the game.


**** THAT I'M OUT ->




The prizes in these events are worth more than money or gold (with apologies to Savage Garden): bragging rights. The most worthy of endeavours are not those where the winner walks away with "stuff": they are the ones where, after months of toil, blood, sweat, and heartache, one (or half a dozen) stand atop the tree, raise a clenched fist to the heavens, and proclaim their greatness to the huddled masses below. With a scoreboard to back it up cool
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pan da
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
dlow wrote:
AngryPanda wrote:
CrankyDay wrote:
chopsueycop wrote:
Any Prizes?

There are not currently any prizes designated for these events. While I would love to be able to offer prizes, and there may end up being prizes, I want it to be known up front that these events are primarily for the fun of the game.


**** THAT I'M OUT ->




The prizes in these events are worth more than money or gold (with apologies to Savage Garden): bragging rights. The most worthy of endeavours are not those where the winner walks away with "stuff": they are the ones where, after months of toil, blood, sweat, and heartache, one (or half a dozen) stand atop the tree, raise a clenched fist to the heavens, and proclaim their greatness to the huddled masses below. With a scoreboard to back it up cool


**** YEAH BACK IN <-
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jaiihawk jaiihawk
msg tools
Re: Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
So what is the source of truth for discipline preference? I excitedly signed up for every discipline while I was still reading the details, then I read the line about order of preference being determined by sign up date. So I unregistered and registered for each discipline in challonge, this time in order of preference.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
jaiihawk wrote:
So what is the source of truth for discipline preference? I excitedly signed up for every discipline while I was still reading the details, then I read the line about order of preference being determined by sign up date. So I unregistered and registered for each discipline in challonge, this time in order of preference.

Well. It is actually quite hard for me to track. Ideally, all of the qualifiers will end up with a perfect number, or can be locked down early enough to recruit up to a round number and not have to drop anyone. If you are registered for all 6 (or 5), you can post here with your preference order, and that will be the definitive source of truth.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
I will update the opening post with this information tomorrow.

For each of the Qualification tournaments, group stage matches will be played as best-of-three rather than the originally planned two games with potential ties. I realized that I was looking at the potential of many hard-to-break tie situations (players tied in ranking points, and also tied against one another) that would likely require playoff games to be resolved fairly, but waiting for a group to finish before starting playoff games would add delay and complexity.

I decided score differential was not the way to go here, as that is an extra thing for players to track and also has the potential of changing the way a game is played. So what would have been ties under the original model, will now be played for a winner immediately.

This means that rather than the 8 games, each player may play as many as 12 games in the group stage of the qualifier tournaments.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
With just 5 days to go before the start of the first qualifier, we currently have 60 players registered for at least 1 of the qualifiers.

40 players are registered for all six, 6 players are registered for five, one player for four, 4 players for three, 4 players for two, and 5 players for a single qualifier.

There is still time to add your name to a qualifier you are not already registered for if you wish to give it a go, and still plenty of time for additional players to register.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [17] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.