Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: florida [+] flgs [+] [View All]
colin earp
United Kingdom
Dudley
west Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello, I've just booked a villa in Florida, May 24th,doing all the Disney stuff for the kids again. My treat was to have delivered a huge parcel of games; but just found out the villa won't accept parcels. Does anyone know of any good game shops in the area or possibly know how to get around this?

many thanks,
depressed from England.
cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harley Wentzel
United States
Cleveland
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This won't be much help but your situation gave me a welcome feeling of deja vu. About three weeks ago I was at Disney with my wife. Being at the parks every day ended up being more tiring than we'd anticipated. We ended up spending a lot of time relaxing at the hotel. We looked everywhere for a game store to help pass all our free time. We went to two malls, checked multiple phone directories and were eventually reduced to driving around without direction with each set of eyes looking out the opposite window. Sadly we never found a store but the search was a lot of fun.
At any rate it's fun to think that two geeks happened across the same unique situation at the same place and in so short a time. Enjoy your holiday! Good luck on your hunt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Wallendael
United States
Valrico
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The nearest Game Shop is in Orlando. Sci-Fi City is the name of it and it a rather large store with an excellent selection of both Eurogames and American Wargames(GMT) etc... I would say it is at least 35 Miles from Disney. It is located on East Colonial (Hwy 50) just north of Semoran Blvd. on the Right (look for the Home Depot). If you go on a Saturday, you might run into Richard Borg as he oftens runs games in the shop. As to Parcel Delivery you might want to check out Mail Boxes Etc... They may be able to accept a Parcel for you if you make arrangements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good call on Sci-Fi City. My in-laws live in Orlando so when we make the annual pilgrimage I usually make a detour there. Wide selection of games, comics, mini's and other assorted stuff.

Only thing I don't like about it is, Orlando is a geographic anomaly. Everything is 53 minutes from everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil ...but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yep Sci-Fi City has a pretty good selection. All full retail but yeah it's gonna take you some time to get from the Disney area of Orlando to them. like someone said probably an hour or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias DeSoto
United States
Daytona Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dont expect any good deals at Sci-Fi City, it is a great store (huge) with tons of games (board games, mini games, etc.) as well as gaming tables, but there is no price there that you wont find a better deal for online... If you are a gamer though it should be a must stop if you are in Orlando (and yes, Ted Werner is right... Orlando is some kind of a geographic anomaly. Everything is 53 minutes from everything else. haha)

As for your packages, you should try to call a Mail Box Ect somewhere near your hotel and ask if they will accept the package for you, I used to do a lot of conventions back in the 90's and often had to ship myself stuff. A few times I also shipped to hotels that wouldnt accept them and what happened was I called UPS and they held my package at their local hub (or whatever it is called), they dont like it if you do it on purpose, but so long as you have your tracking number they can hunt it down and hold it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Florida is a long state, from Orlando (middle of Fla.) to the north or southern end is about 6 hours. I don't know of any game stores in the Orlando area, but I know quite a few in South Fla. if you wish to drive.

Here is a start:
http://www.sunshineroleplayers.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302 ?

www.gamestoredb.com ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paragon Games wrote:
Dont expect any good deals at Sci-Fi City, it is a great store (huge) with tons of games (board games, mini games, etc.) as well as gaming tables, but there is no price there that you wont find a better deal for online...

At $2 to the £1, they're all a bargain!! (A lot of the US published stuff is same price in pounds as dollars here, so it works out about half price.)
Take a big suitcase...

I was in a similar position back in January and found a couple of stores in Sarasota (coz that's where we were), but stock was limited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
You are going to miss a gaming convention by about a week too!

Also, check out Coloseum of Comics. It never seems to have a great selection, but I think they are easier to get to from the Mouse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When not purchasing online, I buy my games here-

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_boardGame.php

The prices are much lower than Sci-Fi City but the trade-off is the games are kept in a warehouse in back so there's no games on display to look at. The website lists what games they have in stock. It's probably an hour drive from Disney.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Hodges
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
I have shopped at both Sci-Fi City (http://www.sci-fi-city.com/) and CoolStuffGames Store (http://www.coolstuffinc.com/) CoolStuffInc Online (http://www.coolstuffinc.com/). Cool Stuff is much cheaper 20-30% sometime even more than Sci-Fi City. However, like was said before, you need to know what you want before going in there. Sci-Fi City the games are out and you can look through the selection. The stores a pretty close, about 10-15 mins apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Ellerker
United States
Sebring
Florida
flag msg tools
Sci-Fi City does have a half-way decent selection of games, I have to agree... although anyone looking for Formula De track packs won't have much luck as I snagged most of their stock a couple of months ago...

Although regardless of what you're into, Sci-Fi should have it... and the staff are nice as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hammer
United States
Hillsborough
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I used to live in the area and IMHO Sci-Fi city will be the way to go. I would consider going there directly from the airport if you're not too wiped out from the long flight. Or, I guess you could make a detour when you are heading back to the airport for the trip home.

From the airport, go north on Route 436 until you hit route 50. The total trip from the airport is less than 10 miles (I guess that would be 16 km to you...).

According to Google maps:

Take the ramp to SR-436 N/S Semoran Blvd
Keep left at the fork, follow signs for SR-436 N/Downtown and merge onto SR-436 N/S Semoran Blvd - 7.3 mi
Turn right at E Colonial Dr/SR-50 - 0.3 mi

To: 6006 E Colonial Dr
Orlando, FL 32807

As others have stated, it would be a much longer trip from the Resort Area Hotels. Enjoy and Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
colin earp
United Kingdom
Dudley
west Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Many thanks for everyones help!! Two weeks at Disney may be bearable now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Walter
msg tools
mb
Hi everybody, I´ll be in Miami and Orlando on February and looking for stores that sell board wargames, help me if you can. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is Florida. I thought there was a CSI on every corner?!?! I would've scheduled my trip to coincide with CSI visits. What kid wouldn't love that more than Disney? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="edwalwei"]Hi everybody, I´ll be in Miami and Orlando on February and looking for stores that sell board wargames, help me if you can. Thanks![/q

www.coolstuffinc.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Walter
msg tools
mb
thanks Mike!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
In Miami the largest is Joel's Sunshine Adventure Gaming on 40st and about 78 ave. http://www.sunshineroleplayers.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Walter
msg tools
mb
Thanks Michael will see it too, Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to Region: USA : SouthEast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bevel
United States
Fenton
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool Stuff Games has 4 stores in Florida

Maitland (North Orlando) is the corporate headquarters and has the main warehouse for the website. about 40 min or so from Disney depending on traffic. 8550 South 17-92 Maitland, fl 32751

Winter Park (Orlando) Original location and near the colleges 3592 Aloma Ave Winter Park, Fl 32792

Hollywood (North of Miami) 6867 Taft st Hollywood fl 33024

Jacksonville (North East Fl) 8585 Beach Blvd, Jacksonville fl 32216

All of the stores carry a selection of Board Games but if you want something specific you can check out the website at coolstuffinc.com and have any game shipped to a store for free pickup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Buchsdrucker
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which store would be the best for miniatures selection? I'm after some new terrain pieces...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Joel's Sunshine has a lot of miniature stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls