Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias DeSoto
United States
Daytona Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I have been wanting to get this game for some time because I am a big game player and also have been a fan of Marvel Super Heroes since the early 70's...

But everyone I talk to in my gaming community and a lot of the messages here says that this game just blows... "Worst game of the year" "sucked really bad" "worst purchase of 2006", etc, etc...

So, is there anyone that can give me a good review on this game, or better yet, has anyone been able to modifiy any of the rules to make this game play better? It looks awesome and has some great looking minis in it, it seems like a waste to me that everyone says it blows...

Anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's the greatest game of the year, but I like it. However, we've only played once, so I need to try it out. Let's just say that if you are allergic to dice, you won't like it, however, I think it's a nice game.

Sorry, I don't have enough time to post a review (nor enough plays to actually write one!), but if you're a big fan of Marvel, I think you'll like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Sonny Rollins - A Night at the Village Vanguard
badge
Gates of Eden - Ethan Coen
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked under the game entry here? I just did, and saw several positive reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
plenty of people like it, other wise it wouldn't be so highly rate. There are lots of good things
1. Nice Figues, beautiful art and good components.

2. Clever use of Mechanics

3. Great theme

See I said 3 nice thing about it. Just so I am not misleading you too much this game was a massive disappointment. War of the Ring is an awesome game so perhaps I was expecting too much, but I love Marvel comics and this was a massive let down. I don't regret buying it as I love the bits and I've taught it to probably 20+ people, but it wasn't for me. You might love it and if your a fan like me I doubt you'll regret buying it.
Good Luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
No, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it dependes on how many players are playing. Four players and the game not only goes long.. the Avengers are probably going to mop up. Two players and this is a great game. Avengers arn't an auto win due to thier opponent concentrating on them, and you have more control over going to scenes that make sense.

I'de say try it before you buy it if that is at all possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I found the avengers are fine they get smashed by the red skull, I thought with the errata the FF4 were the most broken, anyway I doesn't really matter Balance isn't the biggest issue in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont think this game blows. I think it hits the high points of theme and potential, and just doesn't offer very exciting gameplay.

I think its fixable if you start modifying the trouble level +1 or +2 to all trouble levels might do it. Or maybe scale it as you play. I played once, wasn't wowed and I have yet to try again.

I think this game had crazy potential, and tripped at the starting line.

If you love comics, or really slick painted figures and are a theme whore (like me). If these things interest you, I'd recommend you get it on sale or on ebay, I wouldn't pay retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can go long, but I love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/graphstats/14808

I haven't played with 4, but this is an excellent 2- or 3-player game. This is not one of those games that you can play once an have a good feel for, though. If you're talking to people that have only played once or twice, you're not getting the whole story. Once you've played once or twice and things are running smoothly, it's great fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second that Rootbeer.

My first experience with this one was 2 back to back 2-player games where we switched up between all 4 teams... it was a blast and only took like 3 hours.

I hope you enjoy it if you bite the bullet.

btw... its much better use of 2 hours and 38 minutes than Spiderman 3
(and this is coming from a LONG-TIME spiderman fan... I have a no-prize and spidey fan club card to prove it!)

Good Gaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't got time to review it, and I had no idea that it had detractors (all games do, I guess).

I've played six or seven games, mainly two player, and loved it. The rules take a bit of penetrating, but Mr Skeletor did some nice flowcharts to help players along.

I'm not a comic fan, but I am a War of the Ring fan. I thought the Nexus guys did a great job on this.

I will add that it's a game that takes one game to see how it all hangs together, before it begins to shine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is just a vocal minority that want to tell you how bad they think the game is. It's quite different to the games that get hyped on this site, so it's only natural that some people won't enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this game! I personally think this is one of my fav FFGames for playing with (2) players!!! Plays great! Our games come down to the wire most of the time! (pretty weird playing with my twin brother-lol)

I wish FF would do an expansion (more teams/figs) and definately NEW (more) villian and resource cards... that would make a great expansion. Or like a lot of people were saying: even to branch off and do a DC version, now that would be awesome too!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be a great game, but if nobody you play with will play it with you, you shouldn't get it. Miniatures players run into this dilemma every time they move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Rogers
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Marvel Heroes is a great game. I guess the fans just aren't as vocal as the haters.

Biggest disappointment of the year? What were you expecting Stan Lee to jump out of the box?

Too long? And you're a fan of War of the Ring?

Anyways, I've probably played about seven 2-player games and three 3-player games. All the teams play different, good tactical decisions, takes multiple plays to understand the strategy, finishes in under two hours. All the things needed to be a winner in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toasted Jones
United Kingdom
Rugeley
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought long and hard before purchasing this game, as I had the same first impressions you had when looking at the feedback. My advice is to read the reviews that best explain the mechanics and decide for yourself, as there is more to the gameplay than first meets the eye.

Personally, it has been a great purchase for us. IMHO, it has superb multiplayer mechanics and is a blast, especially with 4 players. But just a warning, don't play it with gamers who can't take a bad roll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Schaefer
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I like this game a lot. It's not fantastic, but I did not consider it a waste of my money (spent online at a fair discount). Yes, it's a dicefest, yes, the board is bland and the story track is nigh useless, yes, the Fantastic Four are overpowered. But once we got the rules under our belt, we have had several fun games of MH simply by kicking back and enjoying a fun, somewhat-shallow light strategy-war-game.

It comes across some harsh critics who have the privilege of playing some of the best board games ever made. But that's about like comparing a Bruckheimer movie to a Scorsese movie. All the film snobs will gush about Gangs of New York and scoff at you for watching Armageddon, but it's just a summer popcorn flick. You go, you get your popcorn, you get to see people going into space and blowing things up and dropping catchy one-liners.

And that's how it was with us. We like games, we like comics, the bits are awesome, we just had fun playing it. You may not find yourself reaching for it every week like Settlers or Power Grid, but neither would I expect it to languish on your shelf, unplayed.

But that's just my
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't like this game very much. I thought it was too abstracted. As much as I like Marvel comics, I thought that any theme this game might've had was bogged down in the extremely fiddly ruleset.

All the special powers felt the same and all the missions boiled down to numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I think a lot of people were disappointed with the game. Expectations were really high, the game was delayed many times and the Nexus gang gave us the unforgettable War of the Ring.

I think it's a pretty fun game, but it's very shallow indeed. And it's (almost) as random as Monopoly.

I guess we were actually waiting for something that felt like Marvel. Not just looked like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
The base idea of the game is a good one, but I feel it does fall a little flat in a couple of areas.

For me personally the story track is a bit baffling. It's a neat idea, but the execution leave something to be desired.

Overall this is a fun game, not the best by any means, but still fun. With some creative house rules it could be an absolute blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleacher Creature
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey a rank of 273 out of 3600+ games ain't bad. But seriously, this game has a lot of positives as many reviewers have pointed out. I call it an "experience" game as opposed to a competitive or gamer's game. If you enjoy comic super heroes and battling against villians, you'll like this game (once your past the learning curve).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a2greg wrote:
Hey a rank of 273 out of 3600+ games ain't bad.

Very true. Pretty much everything in the top 10% (= top ~350 ranked games) is going to be quality stuff (though of course it won't be to everyone's taste).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems most people think this game is much better 2 player. Perhaps I should try it, I had written it off from all of from all out boring, scripted 4 player games, but I can see how 2 player might be exciting. Given my love for the theme I might have to drag it out again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Triffitt
Australia
Five Dock, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a great game, but it's not for everyone. As someone pointed out, it's more like playing a run of Marvel comics rather than concentrating on individual battles (you have Heroclix or Vs or Marvel Heroscape for that.)

I also agree with the person who said (somewhere else) that the rules are intricate rather than fiddly. Everything does hang together once you get into the flow of the game. It's a game of risk and resource management (how to get the best use of your heroes) it's not a constant slugfest.

The rules are poorly organised and I think there are ambiguities left over from the translation from Italian to English (or maybe English into FFGese) but once the game made sense to me I really enjoyed it. The flowcharts from the files area are particularly useful. And it's a game better taught by someone who's played it before due to the poorly structured rule book.

Despite my enthusiasm for the game, I can certainly understand why people don't like it. It's a game that takes a macro view of the comics (what is it like to coordinate a team of superheroes to protect New York?) rather than a micro view (Hulk smash!) There are non-trivial decisions to make in the game and ways of managing the randomness - but if you don't like randomness in your games per se - stay far, far away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |