Subject: Everyone says this game blows... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex

Qu├ębec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think that the fewer players you have, the better the game gets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
jellospike wrote:
I also think that the fewer players you have, the better the game gets.
does that make 0 optimal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lotz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I've heard mostly good things when I ask around folks at the local gaming store and board game groups. What is being said on the forums is only one slice of opinion on board games. Suggestive but not definitive. Find people who play the games you tend to play and ask them first... then read a forum.

I picked up the game, and I enjoy it. I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool strategy or euro gamer, so some randomness is fine. That also balances any mismatches people see... statistical distributions keep things balanced for one-off play (in any game, odds of rolling "well" are equal to rolling "poor"). So only after 100 games can anyone appropriately say "Team ____ is over/under-powered" (you need a high sample size, hence that number of plays).

I think the best part of the game is the way it plays on players who are there to have fun. Shouting "hulk smash" or "It's clobberin' time" or "by the crimson bands of cyttorak" when you're moving and rolling, that's what makes it fun. If your board game friends are there for a great time plus learning some strategy as you get used to the game, then it's good. If they want cutthroat, non random games, then it isn't the one.

Plus a comment on your observation that "everyone" is saying the game blows. Remember that minority opinions tend to need to be more vocal, as they feel that their position isn't adequately recognized in the discourse. I don't want to discount their views, but that may explain the "noise" saying that the game is bad vs. good.

Cheers,

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I found the game to be OK, and I like the minis.

My real problem is that we had quite a few problems with the rules: very annoying problems there were real ambiguities, not just us having trouble understanding things (although that happened also).

What really annoyed me about this is that these problems seemed obvious to me and by putting this game in front of a few groups of new players to play through 4-5 games, they'd have been able to fix most of this so... their laziness + my dollars given to them = yuk

Once you read enough FAQs, house rule things, and get used to it, it is an OK game: still not great IMO as the luck factor is pretty severe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Cooper
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a long time I was trying to decide between this and Heroes Incorporated. I was hoping that the Marvel game would be my choice for a Superhero game (the only other one I have is LEGO Batman). In the end I went for Heroes Incorporated as it seems like more of a gamer's game and a lot easier to get into. Which leads me to wonder; to anyone here, which would you have chosen if the names and themes were swapped?

a) Heroes Incorporated with a Marvel theme, or
b) Marvel Heroes with the same kind of artwork as Heroes Incorporated?

I like theme as much as the next person. The only "dudes on a map" game I own is Conquest of Nerath. I prefer the D&D adventure games over other such games such as Descent. I wasn't interested in Catan until the Star Trek version came along. However, theme alone isn't always the deciding factor, but I do weigh it against how much "game" a game has. People complain about the lack of theme in Lords of Waterdeep, but I bought it because of that theme. The flavour text, even the names and types of missions, along with the cards' artwork all help to convey the sense that I'm playing in a D&D world, and not farming sheep or whatnot. However, with Marvel Heroes, although the miniatures are a draw, and there are tons of other characters as cards, the gameplay (from watching reviews and "how to plays") just seems more abstract. In other words, I feel there is more theme than game here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |