Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up Blue Moon a while ago and we played it quite a bit when it was new. Then the summer happened and work picked up and other things have taken time away from game time. Drat! But tonight I managed to talk EvilJeff into playing some Blue Moon.

I wanted to try out the Flit deck, so far I only have the base set and the Flit. The FNGS sold out of the rest of the decks and apparently decided that it didn’t need to restock them. Genius!

It took a little getting used to playing the flit. The recycling of characters is interesting. The deck seems alittle more groove oriented than the other decks. In the other two decks you are chewing through your cards, taking combinations where you can. The flit deck seems like you have to get a feeling for which way your hand is playing and you pick and choose what characters to keep or discard to manage it effectively.

We played a couple of games, then EvilJeff had to change a lightbulb outside so that the pizza guy could find the door. (on a side note, apparently when you take a broken light bulb out of a socket with a leatherman tool, you don’t always get shocked if the light is on. This was almost a session report that included a hospital trip.) So while Jeff was being handy he handed his game off to his lovely wife April. I taught the game to her as we played. She is very good at picking up on games and learned this one by the end of her first game. I think I won that one, but April swept the next three games.

April decided to retire undefeated so to speak and go to play FF XII. EvilJeff and I decided to play a game to 5 points. Me playing the Flit and he playing the Hoax.

I won the first game handily with 3 points. He won the second game early drawing 4 dragons for 4 points. The next three games were excellently close.

In the first I took an early lead getting all three dragons by the middle. Jeff fought back the whole game and managed to steal all the dragons back to the middle of the board. Ending the game in a tie. The next game Jeff took an early lead, and with the last battle on the line Jeff was up two dragons. I discarded and beguiled one of them. He had the support card played that let me only play one card per turn which is just brutal to the flit with their middle ground numbers. But I limped along, finally playing the last card I could play Proud Pheonix who has a 0 earth shield, resetting the count. The only character Jeff had left was his mutant, so I won the final battle making that one a tie as well. The next round was tight all the way through, with Jeff having one dragon in the last combat, again I managed to steal the tie. Playing so many close game was a very cool experience.

In the last round I had either a monster starting hand or a horrible one. I had Kamikaze Karl and a hand full of boosters, but no other character cards. If I went second I could annihilate anything he could throw out, if I went first I would have a pitiful 0 card and the possibility of no characters to follow. We rolled to see who would go first and of course I won. I played Karl and got squashed when I didn’t draw a character. Just seconds after I played Karl I realized that I should have discarded first thing rather than give up a dragon. My second round I discarded and drew some characters but it was too late. The rest of the game was good but I ended up loosing by two dragons, giving Jeff the 6-3 win.

I think if I remember correctly there are no ties and someone gets rewarded in the event of an even split. But I think I like the possibility of a tie more in a game for points.

Again this game impresses with the variety of play between races, I think I want to get more decks sometime.

Thoughts on the Flit:

I really like these guys. There are lots of options with how you can play them. You can burn through lots of cards using the launches, or you can sit back and slow things down using just a couple of characters. I like how the launches combine, though it can be capricious as to when you get ones that work well together.

Discard characters to get a dragon card: I read here on the geek that some people don’t like this card as it is a big sacrifice. I found that I use it quite a bit. Often the 4/4 flit will come up and some of the less powerful ones will accumulate making the discard an easy choice, the other thing it does it gets lots of cards out of hand letting you draw lots of cards, hopefully recharging your launch potential.

Mega Launch card: in the 6 or so games we played I found I only got to use this card once. I quite often just played it to get it out of my hand.

Tittersweet and his can’t play support/booster brothers: These are all powerful cards, if you get lucky and manage to catch your opponent using special text cards or support they can cripple a players strong cards in short order. They are nice to hold in your hand while you use a generic bird and then surprise your opponent by neutralizing. But they also seem to work well as a deterrent when played first. Good all around cards I would say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think if I remember correctly there are no ties and someone gets rewarded in the event of an even split. But I think I like the possibility of a tie more in a game for points.

If all dragons are in the middle at the end of the game, the player that ran out of cards first loses and the other player gets one point for the win.

Oh, and if Jeff had two dragons in the last game the score would have been 7-3, not 6-3. He gets 1 point for the win and one point for each dragon on his side, for a total of 3 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffk wrote:
Quote:

If all dragons are in the middle at the end of the game, the player that ran out of cards first loses and the other player gets one point for the win.

And the reason why is that if I use up all my cards first, I've had the advantage of using all my cards, while you've had to play with fewer of your cards. By not playing this - apart from having compatibility problems with other players, and possibly taking longer playing - you lose this balancing mechanism.

And while I'm at it, can I quote the FAQ over something that bugs me.

Quote:
Q: This list always refers to the Vulca, the Hoax, the Mimix, the Flit, the Khind, the Terrah, the Pillar and the Aqua (and those introduced in Emissaries and Inquisitors, including the Buka) as "peoples". Sometimes I see "races" being used. Should it be?

A: No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses and reading the session.

I understand why a point would score on a 'tie' so that any game has value and doesn't drag out a session with relentless ties.

However I will say that I am a fan of ties. (And ties!? You Bet!!) This is just a personal preference.

As to races vs peoples. Eh I'm not that much of a stickler. Though we did talk about homebrewing an rpg for the world, probably using a modified Earthdawn.

I would say that my biggest complaint about the game is the name! Blue Moon makes me think of do wop music or ice cream. My second biggest complaint is the exsistance of the tepid 'blue moon city' game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jpwoo wrote:
However I will say that I am a fan of ties.

Oddly enough, in other contexts, so am I. I see the point of natural tie-breakers in a game, but sometimes it's just "it's a draw - live with it!" to people who can't stand them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Bradford
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Jpwoo wrote:
My second biggest complaint is the exsistance of the tepid 'blue moon city' game

*GASP* BMC was my gateway into the world of the Blue Moon card game. I enjoy the entire mythology surrounding Blue Moon and would probably buy another Blue Moon game that doesn't resemble Blue Moon or Blue Moon City.

As for your report, thumbs up! It gives me hope for the Pillar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls