Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pillar deck is one of our recent acquisitions. As we bought it at the same time as the Buka, we paired those two off a few times; the Pillar also had a very interesting, if erratic match-up with the Aqua. On this evening, however, they went up against the Khind and it was quite a scrappy affair.

I played the Pillar and my wife played the Khind.

Game 1:

The first round was a prolonged fight, with the Khind beginning in fire. I thought I was in good shape because I was able to play a caterpillar immediately, hoping to bleed those little brats white. The Top gang had other plans and discarded my Watertamer Caterpillar. Well, there was no point playing any boosters as long as that gang was active.

The No gang then did a brief stint, followed by the Cool gang, which nullified all my even character cards. I countered with three fire, which the Khind matched. My only decent cards were in earth, so I retreated and was down two dragons.

So in the next three rounds I made good use of all those earth cards. First I lead with 5 earth and immediately attracted a dragon; the Khind then lead with two, and I countered with five and attracted another dragon; then the Khind led with two earth again, and I forced them to disclose their hand and countered with six earth. I was now up one dragon.

Round five was a medium length fight in fire. My caterpillar was again discarded by the Top gang as Penny had earlier gotten three cards out of her discard pile in round 2. The fight escalated to 10 fire, but Wild Unicorn of the Mimix, for the first of many times, really turned things around with her shield in earth and fire, and brought the score down. I thought she would have to change gangs, but her leadership card allowing her to pick from her draw deck ended that fight, and I was down a dragon.

I won round six, but the Khind's Mimix card, Fearsome Chant, for the first of a few times, prevented me from attracting a dragon, so I was still down one. I attracted a dragon in round 7 to get all the dragons in the neutral area, but Penny initiated another fight, for which I had no character cards.

Crystals

Penny: 2
Chris: 0

Game 2:

I hadn't had much success with my caterpillars against the Khind, but had had with powerful initial assaults, so I started round one with 5 earth and attracted a dragon.

The khind began round two with 2 fire, which I immediately raised to 6; they matched it but played the dreaded Fearsome Chant. Nothing I could do to entice the Khind to fight any more, so I won but did not attract a dragon. This card was a great antidote to the powerful inital assault, but luckily the Khind only had one of her.

Round three was a prolonged fight: it began in fire, with the Khind playing Laughing Gas (a card which negates your special power texts) in the third turn. The Pillar persisted, using Wild Unicorn to bring the score down; then the mutant to change the element to earth. The Khind persisted, and, 13 cards later, they won and now had one dragon on their side.

Round four began with 4 earth and a caterpillar, to which the Khind retreated. In round five, the Khind began with a heavy assault of their own with 6 fire, but the Pillar countered with eight and a caterpillar, and the Khind retreated. I now had one dragon on my side.

Round six was a straightforward fight in fire until the khind played their mutant which changed the element to 8 earth. The Pillar matched it and now had three dragons on their side. A quick fight in earth ended it.

Crystals

Chris: 4

Game 3:

The first three rounds were very short fights, with the Pillar wiining two of the three and attracting a dragon to their side. The fourth round was a different story.

The Khind initiated a fight in fire, with the Cool gang putting restrictions on both odd boosters and odd character cards. The gang eventually changed, but I could only draw one card from my draw deck each turn and was soon down to only three cards in my hand.

The Pillar fought on, but the Khind, after looking through their draw deck brought the Cool gang back into the game, making even character cards worthless. That was the end of that fight, with the Khind playing 11 cards to the Pillar's 8. The Khind now had one dragon on their side.

In the next two rounds, I forced the Khind to retreat twice, but Fearsome Chant meant I only attracted one dragon, so they were all now in the neutral area.

Round seven was a very quick win for the Pillar, as they countered the Khind's 2 earth with 7. I had one dragon on my side, so in the last round the Khind opened with their mutant and 8 fire. Wild Unicorn blunted that attack and the game was over.

Crystals

Chris: 7

This was a very good math-up. I found the Pillar were especially strong when the Khind played first and could counter with an unanwered high score from their character card combined with one of their great boosters. The special text of the Khind, however, was crippling to the Pillar so it was best not to let the gangs pile up too much. The long fights were very well contested, making this a very interesting match-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report. I've been playing this a bit lately. I really like playing khind, but I can't seem to win unless I manage to get lucky and draw into their combos. I find they normally get pummelled although I won once against vulca. Do you find this is the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris carleton
Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
We find the Khind do pretty well, and hold their own with the best of them. If you don't get the combos, you can look at the special text on the individual gang members because sometimes they can severely reduce your opponent's score. Also the leadership card that allows you to get three cards out of your discard, and the one that allows you to draw one out of your draw deck can give you the combos you need.

The one that allows you three from the discard is especially powerful near the beginning of the game if most of your discard consists of only one gang. Also, when you do have the combos, you can go for the slow build, tease out your opponent and nab two dragons.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers, like I said I'm still learning, I love their ability to play lots of cars and cycle their hand, I just need to get used to playing them thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls