W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Tom Lehmann has posted the first of three previews of Race for the Galaxy on Boardgame News. This segment covers the basics of game play and includes images of four cards. The cover isn't included as the final image is still being created. The link: http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...

The next two previews will run in early June and early July.

Eric
Editor, http://www.BoardgameNews.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmb
Wow, that sounds fun. Yoik, on the wishlist. Why didn't Tom receive design credit for San Juan? Based on that article, it sounds like he should have.

Tom Lehmann wrote:
I designed this prototype, at Alea’s request, based on an idea that Richard Borg and I came up with, namely that cards could serve multiple purposes in an economic game: what you build, the money you pay, and the goods you produce.

This idea was merged by Alea with Andreas Seyfarth’s own Puerto Rico card game prototype to form San Juan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
North Ridgeville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
Wow! I *love* the simultaneous action selection combined with bonuses for choosing the action. That is a brilliant mechanic.

I can honestly say I've never been more excited about a new game.

Forget the previews, just give us the rules!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, base game will support 2-4 players, and each of the 2 planned expansions will support an additional player, so in theory this game could support 6 players... though how well will be interesting, would be nice to have another good game that supports 6 players (and plays in a reasonable amount of time).

Just wonder why it's 2 expansions, and not 1... will have to see what planned pricing is on those expansions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is definately a game I will get. It looks and plays fantastic!

JeffyJeff wrote:
Interesting, base game will support 2-4 players, and each of the 2 planned expansions will support an additional player, so in theory this game could support 6 players... though how well will be interesting, would be nice to have another good game that supports 6 players (and plays in a reasonable amount of time).

Just wonder why it's 2 expansions, and not 1... will have to see what planned pricing is on those expansions...

It seemed to play very well with 6 players, and in a reasonable amount of time.

As for why 2 expansions, rather than 1, I think I know 1 reason, but I don't think I can say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
ed95005 wrote:
Why didn't Tom receive design credit for San Juan? Based on that article, it sounds like he should have.

They did, in a way. If you look at the upper right corner of page 1 of the RGG rules (I assume it's the same with the Alea rules), you'll see the following: "The author and publisher thank Richard Borg and Tom Lehmann for their suggestions." It's not a design credit, but it is recognition and it's better than nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have played Race a number of times, although not the expansions. Additional players should not slow things down much because pretty much all of the actions are done simultaneously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Esko
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:

You should be able to play 6 player by combining two sets. There would be less variety among the planets, but the mechanics scale pretty easily. And it doesn't add too much play time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spangler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what Tom wrote, it doesn't seem like there's a lot of player interaction in the form of invading other players' empires and conquering their planets, either militarily or culturally or economically. Maybe with expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
DSpangler wrote:
From what Tom wrote, it doesn't seem like there's a lot of player interaction in the form of invading other players' empires and conquering their planets, either militarily or culturally or economically.

In the base game it has about the same amount of interaction as in San Juan. I'd put it a touch higher because there are times where you want a specific role to be picked by someone, but you'd really like to have the benefit of a different role. So you need to look at other people's situations to see whether or not someone else is likely to pick the other one for you.

Quote:
Maybe with expansions?

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Without getting too much into spoilers, the second expansion does partially address this.

One source of player interaction in the base game is through game tempo and the two different game ending conditions.

If one player sets up a huge produce and consume economy to start cranking out lots of VP chips, then the others need to end the game quickly by filling out their tableaus by calling develop and settle.

Or, if one player tries for a cheap speed win (lots of low cost, low-VP developments and worlds), then the other players need to accelerate their own plans to make sure they can get some VP density on the table in time (either by conquering some high-VP military worlds or by putting down a 6-development that works well with the other cards in their tableau).

As Matthew notes, choosing actions each round is surprisingly interactive as each player tries to predict what the others will do and then adjust their own plans to leverage this. For example, if I think that both a Develop and a Settle will be called and I'm short on cards to pay for both, then I might do an Explore to get the extra cards. However, if I think that only one of these will be called, then I might call Trade instead (to get cards for the next round) and so on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spangler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Tom and Matthew. Sounds like good fun and more interaction than I had assumed. And sounds like an invasion option may be a possibility, too, for the bloodthirsty amongst us. (Umm...not me, of course, but my son....ahem.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.