Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a possibility of me moving to Redlands, CA in about a month. Can anybody tell me about game stores in the area? I'm particulary interested in Warmachine and good FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mb
There are some fun game stores in Riverside. I didn't get out to Redlands much, so can't help you much, but Riverside is only a few freeway exits away. Use Yahoo's Yellow pages for names of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Check http://www.socalgamers.info/ for events and links in Southern California. GMI Games and Collectibles is in nearby Riverside; while I haven't been there, friends game at it. Game stores are a little light on the ground in SoCal, but gaming groups are well organized. If you're willing to drive an hour to Orange County (or other places listed, more interested in war games), you can game every weekend. And someone will usually bring the latest game so you can try before you buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Game stores are a little light on the ground in SoCal

What exactly does this mean???

I'm not familiar with this phrase...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogma wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:
Game stores are a little light on the ground in SoCal

What exactly does this mean???

I'm not familiar with this phrase...

Sorry. A few small game stores are light, while a lot of big game stores are heavy (by weight). So what I meant to convey is that SoCal has few games stores, and maybe smaller, that other areas of the country (especailly considering the local population).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This simply isn't true...

There may not be too many out in the Redlands/Riverside area (I've not really gone out there in search of game shops, myself), but within 50 miles of Los Angeles, you can find a good 8 to 10 excellent to half-way decent game shops!

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER...
The Last Grenadier (Burbank)
Brookhurst Hobbies (Garden Grove)
Game Empire Pasadena (Pasadena)
Gameology (Claremont)
Game Castle (Anaheim)
The War House (Long Beach)
Knightware (Studio City)
Third Planet (Torrance)
Aero Hobbies (Santa Monica)

I may even be missing some...

Seriously, how many other cities around the US can boast THAT many game shops, all within roughly an hour's drive of one another...???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogma wrote:
Seriously, how many other cities around the US can boast THAT many game shops, all within roughly an hour's drive of one another...???

How many cities have fewer than one game store per 2- or 3,000,000 people? Columbus, Ohio has something like one per 500,000, all within 10 miles. (I should have checked Idaho, but I thought of Columbus because I used to live there and both LA and Columbus are centers of their MSAs, so population statistics are better.) In fact, using AnyWho, and assuming a similar proportion of misses (darts, billiards, etc.), LA gets 105 hits to Columbus's 57, though Columbus has not half the population but about 1/15th the population of LA. You may say, "All you need is one good store," and I agree, but...

I've been to few of the stores you mention as they aren't convenient to me. An hour's drive? At what time of day? And given that 50 mile radius, going to a store on the radius uses something like 4 gallons of gas, more than enough to pay any shipping charges from a FOGS (Friendly Online Game Store). To get to...what?

Of the three stores close to me (which I won't name): #1 is a true game store, unfortunately their prices are 25% over MSRP--compared to 35% discount from a FOGS--but they largely sell mass market games and have a poor choice of even Eurogames. #2 is a comic store that has a decent selection of RPGs and a poor selection of other games, except Warhamster. #3 is a general hobby store that has a poor selection of games as a sideline. I don't think any has significant open gaming room. Things may be better where you are, but still, the game store/population ratio isn't good, and with LA's high property values, I would bet LA game stores are smaller than game stores is areas with lower property values. I know some of the LA stores charge for use of gaming tables, which I'm used to being free, for their promotional value.

But, as I say above, the gaming groups are very well organised in LA. I have more free gaming available than I can stand: about 60 hours a month, driving no more than ten miles. Plus more just gaming with friends. So, I don't think Idaho Gamer will have any problem in Redlands--and it's a beautiful area.

(Scott, I think our different views come from our different locations. I'm not sure which of our experiences would be closer to those in Redlands.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
So, I don't think Idaho Gamer will have any problem in Redlands--and it's a beautiful area.

You just made me realize that I've gotta change my name!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hubbard
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a Gamekeeper(?) in the San Bernardino mall near the 5th St. exit. It's prices are horribly outrageous, and the owner not really knowledgeable about newer games, but if you need a quick fix...

There's also a Comics Plus store in S.B. on "E" St., just south of The Orange Show that sells SOME games. The staff there is very helpful.

Redlands USED to have a comic book/game store near State St. I don't know if it's still there.

If you need to, call UCRiverside, and ask if their gaming club is still active. They used to have a huge group following Magic: the G.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hickman
United States
Huntington Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If it is miniature wargaming you seek I suggest "The Adventurer's Guild" 3488 Madison St. in Riverside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Matney
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
Hey Guys, I wanted to let you know about a King of Tokyo Tournament in Downtown Redlands. It is May 10th at Gourmet Pizza (120 E State St, Redlands, CA 92373). It's only a $10 entry fee and will run from 10am-2pm.

Prizes for top Winner.

Come join us and try to win a cool new game and enjoy some great pizza!!(pizza not included)

https://www.facebook.com/events/765460003475103/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Ontario
California
flag msg tools

No stores in Redlands.

However, there are a number of good stores not too far away (30-40 mins).

Dice of War (Rancho Cucamonga)
Labyrinth Games (Rancho Cucamonga)
Gameology (Montclair)
The Monstore (Montclair)
GMI Games (Riverside)

The local Barnes and Noble in Redlands has a pretty good games section as well.

There seems to be a fair number of gamers around here, so you should be able to find a group that suits your interests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Major necro-posts guys. zombie

I posted the original question so long ago that I've moved to then FROM Redlands and have lived in the PNW for FIVE years now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Ontario
California
flag msg tools

So, you have a slightly longer commute then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls