Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A few card mechanic design lessons from this game

In SatW - drawing on the experience of designing the cards to talk about things testing a few odd cards suggested to me about game design

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Musing on ways to have hidden AI Goals
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
[url= https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/58777/index]How to import your game to Tabletop Simulator[/url]

A new post with a step by step tutorial for making a digital version of your game for online testing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
x_equals_speed wrote:
[url= https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/58777/index]How to import your game to Tabletop Simulator[/url]

A new post with a step by step tutorial for making a digital version of your game for online testing

Hmm... I can't seem to follow the link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I sure made a meal of that post. Let me try again:

Tutorial: Creating a tabletop simulator mod for testing

Thanks for drawing my attention to it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New post:

Designing at 90mph

Aka what happens when someone says "Make a game in a few weeks, it's getting published no matter what happens"

I feel like I missed a trick not themeing the game around a train wreck, but actually it came out pretty well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A publishing rather than design article this week:

How to get the word out about your Kickstarter

I love game design and put a lot of time and effort into thinking about it. I am...less good...about marketing activities. I think it's still good to get my thoughts onto (digital) paper, but this may be one with more questions than answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New post:

Dealing with power creep

Tackling the issues with preventing power creep over infinite iterations. Generated some interesting ideas for games that I'm not sure have been tried, but I'd love to hear of (and see the results of) it if they have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New post: How do you remove all luck from a game? Is it a good idea? What happens?

Removing all luck from a game

I'm also wondering if it'd be a good idea to do something about suggesting how worthwhile a post is to read. On the main blog I notice that I see something like 2-20 thumbs up depending on how interesting an article is - is it worth doing something on the index about highlighting the most popular ones so that people coming to it can see things that might be most worth their time rather than being overwhelmed by a million options?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A squishy emotional one for people who find games that aren't just disguised math puzzles:

Tapping a players outside of game identity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New post: Are players a source of randomness?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hurn
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
x_equals_speed wrote:
New post: How do you remove all luck from a game? Is it a good idea? What happens?

Removing all luck from a game

I'm also wondering if it'd be a good idea to do something about suggesting how worthwhile a post is to read. On the main blog I notice that I see something like 2-20 thumbs up depending on how interesting an article is - is it worth doing something on the index about highlighting the most popular ones so that people coming to it can see things that might be most worth their time rather than being overwhelmed by a million options?

That's a good question.

I've recently started a blog and in the day after posting usually get about 4-5 likes. After that I get nothing. Not that I expect huge volumes of people to read posts on board game design by an unpublished designer, but it does seem like blogs on here fall away very quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't worry much about how many likes you get in the absolute sense. Unless the primary purpose of the blog is marketing your games then the act of writing is rewarding in of itself and if you're looking to help people, one person is enough people to have meaningfully helped.

I'm interested in it as a measure of relative worth. My last few posts got 9-4-12-4-9-40-18-9-17

I want to write stuff that people like reading so it's good to try to draw conclusions from that. What did I do right in the 40 that I didn't in the 4s?

It doesn't matter to me that it's 40 and 4 rather than 4000 and 400 or 4 and ... er ... 0.4? But I can see that clearly some of my posts are hitting the mark better than others.

Though the question here was less about that and more about "Is it worth starring the ones that get lots of likes on the index page so that new people can find my best stuff earlier."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New post:

A little bit about attending comics conventions as a board game designer

I went to Comicon to show off a game. It was quite different to the UK Games Expo. It was totally worth doing, but there were things I could've done better - have a peek (also people in neat costumes, though sadly we didn't snap any pics of the games with the xmen)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your 40 was a tutorial on tabletop simulator. This is different than a sack of opinions -- if I want to put something up on TT simulator, now I know how, thanks to you. We could have completely different philosophies on board game design, and I could utterly detest your games -- and a tutorial on how to get my design up on TT simulator would still be incredibly useful to me, and something I would be grateful for, and want to thank you. So I think that explains the 40 ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That was my conclusion too (at least with respects to the 40 - I drew different conclusions about the other numbers)

Sadly I'm not knowledgeable enough to do a tutorial each week so I couldn't do much with that particular lesson in the short term. I am trying to bear in mind that if I learn how to do something clever or useful I should make a post about it though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New post:

Game length: Making games shorter

Pretty much what it says on the tin. Not sure how I feel about it - I don't go into much detail about any particular thing because there are *so many* things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New post: Designing abilities for cooperative games.

No silly title this time, pretty much is what it says on the tin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Santos
Uruguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy Boardgaming Bible Batman! XD

That's a looong set of articles. I'll check em out, thanks for the info!

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, glad they're of use

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A rare entry into the Kickstarter category (since I'm running one atm):
Behind the curtain: Custom game component rewards

For people who aren't regular readers, a fair warning about the current project: It's not aimed at a deep gaming audience. While I think there are things in there for a gamer to enjoy, be prepared for it not to reflect all of the principles I talk about in these articles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Examples of things that make a good or bad rules example

A little bit about providing examples for rules

Also I notice that little section on the bottom about me interviewing people is kinda empty looking. Maybe I should do something about that? Who should I ask to talk to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to the UKGE and wrote about the best prototype I played there:
Orbit

Also I'm not dead and will start posting again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New article:
Small Boxes and Efficient Components

Under components strangely enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New article:

(Absence of) Victory Conditions

This one's about games that don't declare a winner. Feel free to declare them "not games". BGG does
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.