sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any fellow BGG'ers out here? I moved from Denver where we had a very huge and active boardgame community. I am hoping there is something simmilar here. I know of Gamers paradise, but I assume there are more stores here?? conventions??? game shops in the suburbs?

any help would be great!

Sean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom glass
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
games plus in mount prospect is a great start, probably the best shop in the area. And as for gamers start with the boardgame meetup, and branch from there. I had great success, in my short stint there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a Downers Grove meetup at a comic/game store that isn't too far from you. You can always come up to Elgin on Thursday nights as well but it's a bit of a drive:

http://groups.msn.com/ElginEAGLES

As far as games stores go I would highly recommend The Game Escape in Crystal Lake but that is a pretty big haul for you to get to from Brookfield. Games Plus is a great place for RPG's, Minis, and wargames and yes they have a excellent boardgame selection but the attidude there towards boardgames is one of "mildly-annoyed tolerance". At the Game Escape the selection is almost as good (and the same in terms of new releases)but the people up there make boardgames their priority and not minis and RPG's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like a great start! Thanks guys!

one quick question though? boardgame meetup? not familure with it. is it a geek feature? we used yahoo back home, but I hardly did because I grew up in the area, new the stores and people.

Thanks for the "noobie" help here guys! (by "noobie" I mean me)

sean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
:C.h.r.i.s. M.c.G.o.w.a.n:
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean,

Welcome to Chicago land.

www.meetup.com is the website referred to as a "meetup" group. Do a search based on your interest (board games) and location (Brookfield Illinois). There are quite a few - Evanston, Chicago, Downer's Grove, Arlington Hts, etc. I've dropped in on most of them - a cafe, a pub, a game store, a condo meeting room, but I'll let you decide what you prefer.

The Eagles (Elgin), in addition to their Thursday night meetings, also host a spring and fall KITCON (one day gaming con) which I highly recommend.

Other cons include the WolfPack's Thanksgiving weekend 2 day con and Chi-TAG (November 17/18 in Schaumburg).

Happy gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bonczkowski
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: New to Chicago (Brookfield area) wheres gamers/shops/con
Being fairly new to the area (Naperville) myself, I've been meeting at the Downers Grove meetup site.

http://boardgames.meetup.com/394/

Since I don't have a job yet (grrrr! angry ) I've been able to go every week. There's a good group of people showing up, as well as a good selection of games available. I haven't taken my two tubs of games out of my car since moving, so they're always with me. However, I have not been able to check out some of the other groups yet, so I cannot compare. I was hoping to do so soon, but we'll see. Hopefully I'll have a job to interfere with gaming, not necessarily a good thing, but a necessary thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the great feedback and help guys!!

Hope to meet some of you and play a game soomtime.

Sean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like we have enough interest in starting our own group, so if anyone wants to attend, here is our yahoo address

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chicagolandgaming

We are going to meet the first tuesday of every month at Hobbytown in Orland Park

and the 2nd and 4th Friday at Boarders in La Grange (every other friday)

The madness starts in August. Games will be provided and or requested. beginners welcome!

Sean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: New to Chicago (Brookfield area) wheres gamers/shops/con
Sean,
You should post an entry under the BGG Chicagoland Guild:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/143

so players can find you easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ray!

I am planning on making it to an Eagles meeting with a top secret prototype in hand (email me for details if curious)

Sean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls