Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the spirit of Ken B's excellent session report, I decided to do my own version just to get another set of data, but instead of single games these will be matches to 5 crystals. Due to the fact that I play infrequently I expect this to take a while. Scores of the matches will be here in this post, while the individual game scores and comments on those games will be posted as replies. The comments won't usually be nearly as long and drawn out as my usual session reports, but I might get fired up enough to do a full writeup if a game seems worthy of it.

Thus far:

Khind 4, Pillar 1
1. Khind 4, Pillar 1
2. Pillar 1, Khind 0

Hoax 2, Khind 0
1. Hoax 2, Khind 0

Hoax 4, Buka 0
1. Hoax 4, Buka 0

Fli4 4, Vulca 0
1. Flit 4, Vulca 0

Khind 1, Terrah 0
1. Khind 1, Terrah 0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter R.
Italy
Bozen
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
Lies grow in the silence of those who hear them - Ursula K. Le Guin
badge
Lies grow in the silence of those who hear them - Ursula K. Le Guin
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, Khind loosing against Hoax!
Also You had to drop the Laughing Gas (a very bad thing)
I think you either had very bad luck or you where playing badly!
Jokes apart, keep this session reports coming, I will read them, a nice ambitious idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir, I'm claiming copyright infringement; expect a cease and desist letter forthwith.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edited the initial post to give you credit for the original idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jowjow wrote:

Just razzin' ya, man. I look forward to more of your session reports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More matches:

(Making the initial post a tally post only now)

Hoax 2, Khind 0

The game started off oddly, in that I had all three Khind leaderships in the opening draw, which made me nervous. I decided to use the first play to clear Whistle of Friendship out of my hand and drew Laughing Gas with it, figuring I could use it to counter some of Hoax's text-based nastiness. Grant followed up with Sarogakanas, causing me to discard both Laughing Gas and Drown Resistance, which sort of set the tone for the remainder of the game. I got most of the Top Gang down pretty quickly after that and managed to go up 3 dragons to zero, but in the next fight I played the Astronomer and drew up to 9 cards, only to end up with 4 different gangs in my hand plus other crap. Considering 2 of my 3 leaderships were gone along with Laughing Gas (unused), I never recovered. Unable to discard/decline without gambling on what I'd draw and unable to muster anything with a hand full of 9 cards, I ended up having to retreat 4 straight times (losing 5 dragons in the process) and suddenly I was down two dragons. Unfortunately 3 of those 4 retreats were after a single play, so Grant still had most of Hoax's strongest cards remaining for endgame (Bethenitana, Tome of Wisdom, Mutant, Armor, etc). I hit 10 fire with three of the Fun Gang trying desperately to win 2 dragons back, but once he nuked that with the Armor I ended up having to use Drown Resistance and Fearsome Chant, followed by a retreat to avoid losing any more dragons. I somehow ended up winning the last fight of the game as we both played our last cards, making the final score closer than the game felt. I don't think I've ever seen both players run out of cards on the same play. Hoax 2, Khind 0.

Khind 4, Pillar 0: Khind got a good chunk of the Fun Gang out early, winning the first dragon with it. Then, Khind intentionally retreated with Fearsome Chant out to retreat for free and be allowed to start the next fight. They then used Lucky Bag of Life to retrieve Fearsome Chant from the discard along with two of the previously-played Fun Gang. At some point in this mess Pillar played a single character when he said he should have played something along with it and from that point Pillar never really recovered, although they survived until Khind pulled the third dragon back in the last fight of the game.

Pillar 1, Khind 0: Really tight game due to a colossal blunder I made at the end. If there's one thing I always forget (because the play mechanic is unusual) it's that TopNotch can get rid of support/booster at any point during the turn, not just after a character is played. Pillar won a fight because of this when he played Heat Haze and I mistakenly thought I couldn't continue with the Top Gang there. Khind had the lead until the very last play of the game, including a couple dragons with only a handful of cards left to play but couldn't hold on. Because they were leading the entire game, they got stuck with their mutant, which seems to happen a lot to the little dudes.

Hoax 4, Buka 0: My first loss with Buka. Words can't express how lopsided this was and it really makes me question the balance of this matchup. I'm going to actually type up a separate session report for this just so you can see the carnage first-hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hurst
United States
Plain City
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
Jowjow wrote:

Just razzin' ya, man. I look forward to more of your session reports.

Ha! Actually I did it first.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/77311
(Of course it was two years ago and we didn't have all the decks then.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zen Postman wrote:
Actually I did it first.

Actually the late David Farquhar did it first. Of course he didn't publish his results here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote Star Wars!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple more:

Khind 1, Terrah 0

Tight game all the way - no one led by more than 2 dragons throughout. Khind started off almost a dream hand, with three of the TopGang. Khind won the first fight by playing all three Top Gang, one at a time, forcing the discard of three cards from Terrah's deck (including Provoke Earthquake), removal of its only caterpillar, etc. Unfortunately for Terrah, during that first fight Khind drew Lucky Bag of Life, using it to retrieve all three Top Gang members, giving them four of the five in-hand. The second fight went similarly, with the Top Gang all coming out one or two at a time, forcing discards of another couple of cards from Terrah's deck, removal of a booster etc. Another retreat put Khind up 2-0 and things were looking bleak for Terrah...

...but they rallied. A big turning point in the game came when Khind used Whistle of Friendship to retrieve FunFun from their deck for 16 earth, hoping to beat Terrah at their own game, only to watch Terrah nullify the whole thing with Mad Mike Magpie. How embarrassing. The Khind ended up retreating from that fight, and lost a couple more due to "one-hit kills" by Kabu Kat and Baku But. Khind was even down a dragon with both players having less than 6 cards to play, but the early-game deck gutting proved decisive for the Khind as they won the dragon back with their mutant as Terrah ran out of character cards and had to retreat from the game's final fight. It's easy to see why Terrah always seems to do so well - they're really tough to play against.

Flit 4, Vulca 0

Poor Vulca. I was playing Flit this time, and although I of course didn't want Vulca to win, I'm really hoping they have a good showing overall because everyone is so down on them lately. This game started out dicey, with both sides having all their leaderships in-hand by turn two. Cast Cataclysm, Commence Megalaunch, and Distract Holy Dragon were early throwaways in the spirit of keeping cards moving. Unfortunately for Flit, the fight after the discard of Distract Vulca threw down Fearsome Spirits, forcing Flit to get creative and expend a lot more boosters than they wanted to, choosing to retreat with Flitterflutter on the table to avoid the loss of the second dragon. Once that happened, Vulca just seemed to lose steam and just sort of drifted away in the endgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls