1 , 2  Next »   | 

First Class» Forums » General

Subject: Making module C playable with two? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
Seems like it's meant for more. Any variants to make it viable with only two?

Updated title since derringers are working on fixing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janez Lužar
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is module C playable with two?
BoardTogether wrote:
Seems like it's meant for more. Any variants to make it viable with only two?

Maybe no elimination at the end of the game for the player with most fingerprints only the minus points (20 or 30). I haven't tried it yet though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Hiwiller
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this with Module C last night and had it just be a 20 pt penalty for having the most evidence. In my opinion, it simply does not work with 2p and we will never play this module with 2p again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
zhiwiller wrote:
We played this with Module C last night and had it just be a 20 pt penalty for having the most evidence. In my opinion, it simply does not work with 2p and we will never play this module with 2p again.

Any ideas to remedy it? Perhaps the designers can come up with something but the consensus seems to be it's not playable with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Add 2 dummy players A and B.

A sits on one side of the display, B sits on the other.

During setup, all players get Murderer cards.

Round 1 Dummy Player A gets a Turn
Round 2 Dummy Player B gets a Turn
Round 3 Dummy Player A gets a Turn
Round 4 Dummy Player B gets a Turn
Round 5 Dummy Player A gets a Turn
Round 6 Dummy Player B gets a Turn

On their turns, the dummy players only select available action cards with evidence icons. With a choice of multiple cards. they take the action card which is closest to them by row or column. If multiple cards are still available, the player to the right of the dummy player chooses. This includes contracts and destroy evidence cards.

Give the dummy player(s) tokens as necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene' Puttin
Germany
Heinsberg
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We also played without elimination and just gave the player with the most fingerprints a penalty of 20 points.
It worked ok!

But I really like the idea of dummy players. I only think that giving them additional actions, influcenced by the players is somewhat complicated.

Wouldn't it be enough to just give those dummy players one or two evidence tokens at the start of the game. And only give them more if a real player takes a card distributing evidence tokens?

Or another idea: If one wants to have some action of the dummy players in the game in a rather simple way, without of any players taken decisions.
- The dummy players start without any evidence tokens.
- The dummy players get and execute evidence cards that are removed from the game. The first dummy player takes the cards on positions 1-3 in a row, the second one those on positions 4-6. (Meant is always the original position, so if cards 1,2,3,4 were removed the remaing cards are on still on position 5 and 6 and would go to the second dummy player).
- Thereby the dummy player can get evidence tokes, distribute those to other all other players (including the other dummy player) and also get cards which help them remove dummy tokens at the end of the game. Of course the worst ones are removed then.

We will give both versions a try and let you know about the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
gimli043 wrote:
We also played without elimination and just gave the player with the most fingerprints a penalty of 20 points.
It worked ok!

But I really like the idea of dummy players. I only think that giving them additional actions, influcenced by the players is somewhat complicated.

Wouldn't it be enough to just give those dummy players one or two evidence tokens at the start of the game. And only give them more if a real player takes a card distributing evidence tokens?

Or another idea: If one wants to have some action of the dummy players in the game in a rather simple way, without of any players taken decisions.
- The dummy players get and execute evidence cards that are removed from the game. The first dummy player takes the cards on positions 1-3 in a row, the second one those on positions 4-6. (Meant is always the original position, so if cards 1,2,3,4 were removed the remaing cards are on still on position 5 and 6 and would go to the second dummy player).
- Thereby the dummy player can get evidence tokes, distribute those to other all other players (including the other dummy player) and also get cards which help them remove dummy tokens at the end of the game. Of course the worst ones are removed then.

We will give both versions a try and let you know about the results.

Keep up the good work, love this game. We will try to do some testing and report back soon as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene' Puttin
Germany
Heinsberg
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday evening we tested the second idea and it worked perfectly well. With only a very limited overhead a very dense game was created, where my wife thought she had won the game until she was arrested along with one of the neutral players.
We really liked the variant.

Since now all clue cards are really played a lot of evidence tokes come in to play. We discussed this in the end and both did not see it as a problem.
But one idea to reduce this a little (and get even nearer to real four player game) would be to give only those clue cards to the left neutral player which are left in column 1 and 2 and those in column 5 and 6 to the right neutral player. Left over clue cards in colums 3 and 4 go out of the game.

Regards,

Rene'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
gimli043 wrote:
Yesterday evening we tested the second idea and it worked perfectly well. With only a very limited overhead a very dense game was created, where my wife thought she had won the game until she was arrested along with one of the neutral players.
We really liked the variant.

Since now all clue cards are really played a lot of evidence tokes come in to play. We discussed this in the end and both did not see it as a problem.
But one idea to reduce this a little (and get even nearer to real four player game) would be to give only those clue cards to the left neutral player which are left in column 1 and 2 and those in column 5 and 6 to the right neutral player. Left over clue cards in colums 3 and 4 go out of the game.

Regards,

Rene'

So great to hear, thanks for testing further. Please share with us when you are done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Gentry
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gimli043 wrote:
If one wants to have some action of the dummy players in the game in a rather simple way, without of any players taken decisions.

+1 for this idea; we tried it out and it went great. One human player had a 15 point lead over the other, but had accumulated too much evidence and lost. A dummy player ended up being the murderer, but he also was able to destroy all of his evidence, so he got off scot-free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene' Puttin
Germany
Heinsberg
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So our final module C two player-variant rules are:

Setup:
- Two character cards are laid left and right of the card layout, representing two dummy players.

Game:
- The dummy players get and execute evidence cards that are removed from the game.
- The first dummy player takes the cards on positions 1-2 in a row, the second one those on positions 5-6. Cards on positions 3 and 4 have no effect on dummy players.
(Meant is always the original position, so if cards 1,2,3,4 were removed the remaing cards are on still on position 5 and 6 and would go to the second dummy player).
- Thereby the dummy player can get evidence tokes, distribute those to other all other players (including the other dummy player) and also get cards which help them remove dummy tokens at the end of the game.

End of the game:
- The murderer gets two evidence tokens (even if it is a dummy player).
- All player (including dummy players) remove their worst evidence tokes if the have remove-evidence cards.
- The player(s) (including dummy players) with the most fingerprints is (are) arrested.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gimli043 wrote:
So our final module C two player-variant rules are:

Setup:
- Two character cards are laid left and right of the card layout, representing two dummy players.

Game:
- The dummy players get and execute evidence cards that are removed from the game.
- The first dummy player takes the cards on positions 1-2 in a row, the second one those on positions 5-6. Cards on positions 3 and 4 have no effect on dummy players.
(Meant is always the original position, so if cards 1,2,3,4 were removed the remaing cards are on still on position 5 and 6 and would go to the second dummy player).
- Thereby the dummy player can get evidence tokes, distribute those to other all other players (including the other dummy player) and also get cards which help them remove dummy tokens at the end of the game.

End of the game:
- The murderer gets two evidence tokens (even if it is a dummy player).
- All player (including dummy players) remove their worst evidence tokes if the have remove-evidence cards.
- The player(s) (including dummy players) with the most fingerprints is (are) arrested.

Enjoy!

Which of the three rows do they take?

Do they only take evidence cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene' Puttin
Germany
Heinsberg
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The only take the evidence cards!
Dummy player 1 takes all left over cards in columns 1 and 2 of all three rows.
Dummy player 2 takes all left over cards in columns 5 and 6 of all three rows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gimli043 wrote:
The only take the evidence cards!
Dummy player 1 takes all left over cards in columns 1 and 2 of all three rows.
Dummy player 2 takes all left over cards in columns 5 and 6 of all three rows.

Oh OK. Thank you. I am guessing that the dummy players both go after the two human players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene' Puttin
Germany
Heinsberg
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The dummy players only become active when cards are removed, since already two cards of a row have been taken.
They only take the leftover evidence cards, that normally would be removed from the game. They do not take any real actions!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
Any idea when we'll be able to try this? is it finished?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene' Puttin
Germany
Heinsberg
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not really understand the question? I posted the rules of the variant I invented and you can just test it. No additional material is necessary. So what do you want to be finished?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
gimli043 wrote:
I do not really understand the question? I posted the rules of the variant I invented and you can just test it. No additional material is necessary. So what do you want to be finished?

If they are finalized can we get an official pdf perhaps? Something to print out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene' Puttin
Germany
Heinsberg
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can write something down and create a PDF but of couse it is not official since only my idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you are done testing, a post in the variants forum would be nice. Thanks for working on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
gimli043 wrote:
I can write something down and create a PDF but of couse it is not official since only my idea.

Sorry I thought you were the designer or with the publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene' Puttin
Germany
Heinsberg
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, although I would love to be the designer of this great game, I only invented this variant. I will post the rules in the variant forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
gimli043 wrote:
No, although I would love to be the designer of this great game, I only invented this variant. I will post the rules in the variant forum.

Would love it if the designers came up with something official or adopted your idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene' Puttin
Germany
Heinsberg
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure, how much I am allowed to tell. But I assume that I am allowed to say that I send my variant to HiG and they as well as the designer liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
Did they say they want you to hold off until they can possibly incorporate your idea into official rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.