Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » WA (Perth)

Subject: Are there any good game stores in Perth?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: perth [+] australia [+] flgs [+] [View All]
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well...are there??

Cheers!!

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Reich
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb

Hi Giles,

By 'good' I presume you mean stores that stock a variety of the type of games listed on this site. In that case, the only good store is Tactics, which is located in the St George Terrace end of London Court in the Perth CBD. It's a bit hard to spot - it's opposite the newsagent and down a stairwell.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mark - that is what I meant by good!!

Thanks very much!

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Lamont
Australia
Kewdale
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactics is probably the widest range in Perth. And I'm sure they can order in other games as well not that I have tried.

I assume you know of Games Workshop for the Table top gaming. They are all over the place.

Games World aren't that bad either on games, similar price bracket to Tactics. Less of the odd games however.

Al's Card Shop is the best shop for CCG and the like.

Valhalla (if they still exist) I assume sold boardgames but I'm not actually completely sure on that one. They moved out of the city and up North.

Sorry dont' have addresses for any of them on me. Have to look them up in the white pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Australia
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought from this one in the past - they have a pretty good range:

The Games & Hobby Shop
Centro Galleria Lvl 2
Collier Rd Morley
(08) 9375 3751

and a relatively new one:

Games Frenzy
Shp31/ 2784 Albany Hwy Kelmscott 6111
(08) 9390 7796

Cheers,
Martin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin,

What kind of range does games frenzy carry? (Particularly in terms of Euros?)
My partner's folks live in Kelmscott so it might increase my enthusiasm for in-law visits devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactics is and old and respected business in perth. Mike (and i do love you mate) has been "trading" for quite some years. but it's more of a games whear house than a shop. very good range.. you can find old out of print things in the spar (ask anne). the shop however employs a sort of negative marketing sceme by being imposible to find, having no real sign out the front and it usualy has a group of smelly under sexed nerds in a sort of front room/pre dungeon area that you need to fight you way through to get to the shop.. many of my mates have been defeeted by this on their first visit. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Singapore
flag msg tools
Wez! wrote:

Al's Card Shop is the best shop for CCG and the like.

Sorry dont' have addresses for any of them on me. Have to look them up in the white pages.
Al's card shop sounds really familiar. Do you recall around which area in Perth is this shop?

I know there used to be a shop down in Freo near a music instrument store....Intergalactic or something like that. Many years back. Are they still in business?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott De Regt
Australia
Montville
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... just moved to perth and Tactics blew my mind... Nothing like that in brisbane anywhere. I know I will be spending a dollar or two there over the next few years.

I just stumbled across it as well. How much of a trip is that London Court thing... Very strange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
Valhalla is still around, but was out of business for a while when the city block they had their old shop in was resumed by the govt to build the new train station. They're about to open up again at a new premises (this week I think). They've maintained a web site and online trading pretty much all the way through the whole fiasco.

http://www.valhallagames.com.au/

Online store link
http://www.archit.com.au/valhalla/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rehn
Australia
flag msg tools
ahhh...
the Intergalactic Trading Zone, it was called.
and, they have not been around for quite some time. One of those games and comic cross over stores.

But, seriously, it is very hard to go past Tactics for a 'good' games shop. As far as I know, they may be something along the lines of the number 3 independant games store in the country, and have been around for a very long time (does anyone remember when they were upstairs in what was Centreway Arcade - misty eyed nostalgia).

And, please, ignore the 'undersexed teens' or whatever they were described as. Some of them may even be friendly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Valhalla are still in business - I dropped into the store in Osborne Park, the east end of Scarb Bch Rd, 2 months ago.
Lots of games. Being brand new I didnt know which one to buy - but BGG has given me some ideas now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prem Arpito
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This thread is hurting me. My permanent resident visa expires today, and i'm still in England. I visited Perth and WA (South West (Esperence, Hopetoun, via Albany, Denmark, Magaret River, and back to Perth and Freo))last year.

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans" Lennon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prem wrote:
This thread is hurting me. My permanent resident visa expires today, and i'm still in England.
Man, I'm sorry... soblue

I feel for ya, I really do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news for me, that there's a good game store in Perth. With the recent changes in the way visas are processed, I am going for a state nomination/sponsorship for Western Australia and Perth will be our destination city if things work out.

I so feel for you, Prem. Having waited more than 10 months already (since lodging) for my permanent residence visa, and the months before that, getting everything ready, I can honestly imagine what that must have felt like.

From the little bit I've read up on Perth, it looks terrific! I was totally captivated by Melbourne, but it's apparently faster (and more friendly) to get a state nomination from Western Australia than it is from Victoria.

My state nomination application should go in within a week, then it's about 3 to 4 weeks to get an answer. I want this so very badly. I have only ever spent three weeks in Australia but I love the country as though I was born there. I made a friend for life in those three weeks, but then it's not hard to strike up lifelong friendships with Aussies, is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We like to think we're a friendly bunch Mark

Make sure to let us know how things go and to come along to the monthly eurogamesfest once you arrive (You can unpack first if you want I guess)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You certainly are, Stew!

I look forward to attending such an event. It would be one of what I would consider milestones in the process. Land in Australia, get settled in home, get settled in job, get kid settled in school, visit Tactics, attend eurogamesfest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Godfrey'John sheridan
Australia
Mt Richon
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
antiussentiment wrote:
Tactics is and old and respected business in perth. Mike (and i do love you mate) has been "trading" for quite some years. but it's more of a games whear house than a shop. very good range.. you can find old out of print things in the spar (ask anne). the shop however employs a sort of negative marketing sceme by being imposible to find, having no real sign out the front and it usualy has a group of smelly under sexed nerds in a sort of front room/pre dungeon area that you need to fight you way through to get to the shop.. many of my mates have been defeeted by this on their first visit. :-)

HA HA yes i know what you mean its to true gas masks at the door

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Ryan
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Incidentally, I just rang Valhalla and they no longer have a store...their web site still says they do but they don't!

Cheers,

Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Thomas
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick update from a New Zealander who recently visited Perth.

GOOD - Tactics in the CBD, has a "bazaar" feel but great selection.

DECENT - Games World in various malls, I visited the Claremont one, decent selection but fairly expensive.

POOR - Perth Hobby Center in the CBD, not really a board games store but a few games.

CLOSED - The Games & Hobby Shop on Collier Rd Morley, should have checked this before traveling to Morley

Overall prices in Perth are fairly high but selection is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Boyle
New Zealand
Queenstown
flag msg tools
badge
Proud Balmain Board Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactics is one of the more interesting brick and mortar stores in Australia. I even found an OOP copy of Goa there a couple of years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls