Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
89 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  | 

Abstract Games» Forums » General

Subject: Who on earth is rating more than 7200 games to a 1 during one month? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: smjj [+] ratings [+] [View All]
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boscos wrote:
What if it cost 5 GG to rate something but you got 7 GG 30 days later?

This way people would have a slight incentive to rate games but the number of games they could rate at one time would be a function of their overall reputation here.

That's an interesting idea
I would go with 1GG and 1.01 five days later, or 0.50 to 0.51
for lower entry barrier + more regular access + lower mining value
and you will be building your profile with your ratings, like with MB
(in any case, comments on games would still be free)
besides the user would have to get GG somehow
lets not forget our Swedish ghost account friend here has no thumbs given or received, or any other contribution to the site, but seeding this discord
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Interests > Animals > Birds > National > Canada >
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a horrible, user-hostile idea hatched to address a fringe issue people should just let go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Clark
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
This is a horrible, user-hostile idea hatched to address a fringe issue people should just let go.

Methinks maybe the SWEDE doth protest too much

Spoiler (click to reveal)
No, I don't actually think it was you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ddyer wrote:
There's precious little useful to do with GG. There needs to be
more of an economy of GG to make them useful.

Auction it for thumbs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulWRoberts wrote:
ddyer wrote:
There's precious little useful to do with GG. There needs to be
more of an economy of GG to make them useful.

Auction it for thumbs?

Actually, what could be done with gold? We have a gold system at work that we can redeem for various things, including Amazon gift cards (which means the gold is as good as cash).

But it might be nice to brainstorm ideas for BGG. And I'm sure it's been discussed already, and someone will link us to the thread(s) shortly.

<cue Russ>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Panferov
msg tools
designer
You can think about a system of WEIGHTED ratings, where the weight can be altered retroactively (e.g. associated with a rating giver's account). It does not seem impossible to come up with a function that devalues your rating depending on how you rate (accounting for the frequency and the distribution).

We can even CORRECT for user biases -- not all users interpret numerical ratings into the same subjective ratings -- for some 10 is just "good" for others 10 is practically inachievable "i reserve 10 for a game from outer space" -- this can be fixed with some mathematics and without torturing users.

We can normalize each user's rating to this user's median and/or expected value (let's debate which one is better)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silly_sad wrote:

We can normalize each user's rating to this user's median and/or expected value (let's debate which one is better)

Listen to this man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
orangeblood wrote:
But it might be nice to brainstorm ideas for BGG. And I'm sure it's been discussed already, and someone will link us to the thread(s) shortly.

<cue Russ>
There have indeed been many past threads about new ideas for things to buy with GG. But I don't easily have links to them.

However FWIW I'll now link to the BGG wiki page GeekGold which includes a list of all things you can CURRENTLY do with GG, some of which seem less well known to many people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Stanton
United States
Paoli
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
banshy1 wrote:
Well my take on it is, I have to thank this gaming expert for saving me a lot of money in the future and helping me with my boardgame addiction.

Since I have no reason to believe that he has not personally played all 7200+ games that he has rated, and consequently has provided a 1 rating on all these games with no written reason as to why he rated them as 1, I have to assume that all 7200+ games were so terrible they didn't deserve a comment, and thus are not for me to buy.

I wish I had seen his rating for the nearly 800 that I already own before I bought them. I could have added a new extension to my house several years ago. Heck, I might not have ever gotten into boardgaming to begin with based on his sage advice! Oh where were you then?!?!

LOL!!! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Estepona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Always ignore all BGG ratings. They mean nothing.

The Player of Games wrote:

Do not ignore the ratings of your carefully selected GeekBuddies.
I am a big fan of GeekBuddy analysis.

How do i get a bunch of geekBuddies that are totally objective? A 1000+ would suit my needs. Let's get a GeekList going where every1 can nominated themselves, and lets pray to god smjj doesn't turn up to ruin our sh*t.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carnalito wrote:
How do i get a bunch of geekBuddies that are totally objective?

This doesn't exist, since opinions are subjective. What I do is to pay attention to what people say and see if there is any overlap between my preferences and their own.

Also, since abstract strategy games are a quite a specific niche with few followers (based on the BGG community), I'd start by adding people that post or reply to posts in this forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Estepona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PSchulman wrote:

This doesn't exist, since opinions are subjective. What I do is to pay attention to what people say and see if there is any overlap between my preferences and their own.

Also, since abstract strategy games are a quite a specific niche with few followers (based on the BGG community), I'd start by adding people that post or reply to posts in this forum.

Thanks, but i was being sarcastic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Sonny Rollins - A Night at the Village Vanguard
badge
Gates of Eden - Ethan Coen
mbmbmbmbmb
carnalito wrote:
Phil Fleischmann wrote:

How do i get a bunch of geekBuddies that are totally objective? A 1000+ would suit my needs. Let's get a GeekList going where every1 can nominated themselves, and lets pray to god smjj doesn't turn up to ruin our sh*t.
I want the views of actual gamers with hearts and minds, not soulless robots. Human beings are not totally objective, and the ones who try to project themselves as such are doing nobody any favors.

I've got an incredibly good and useful GeekBuddy list, populated by gamers who are intelligent and passionate about their likes and dislikes. I know where their tastes coincide with my own, and where they diverge. I wouldn't trade them for "objective" users, even if I thought it were possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TPoG
Denmark
flag msg tools
ISBN: 1-85723-146-5
badge
Hmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
carnalito wrote:
Phil Fleischmann wrote:

I want the views of actual gamers with hearts and minds, not soulless robots. Human beings are not totally objective, and the ones who try to project themselves as such are doing nobody any favors.

I've got an incredibly good and useful GeekBuddy list, populated by gamers who are intelligent and passionate about their likes and dislikes. I know where their tastes coincide with my own, and where they diverge. I wouldn't trade them for "objective" users, even if I thought it were possible.
Could not agree more! This is exactly my thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  |