Dung Beetle Knight
Manhunter
Flower Knight
Lonely Tree
Lion God
Slenderman
Sunstalker
Green Knight Armor

Which Are Considered The Best Expansions?

Gorm
Dragon King
Dung Beetle Knight
Flower Knight

Which Expansions Are Considered The Worst?

Lonely Tree
Green Knight Armor

Which expansions are essential?

None of the original expansions are considered essential, KDM is a great game without any expansion and most would recommend you play just
the base game first.

Which Expansions Enrich The Main Game Experience that you wouldnt personally play without?

Flower Knight

Which Expansions Make The Game Easier?

Flower Knight

Which Expansions Replace Existing Monsters

Spidicules ( Screaming Antilope)
Slenderman (Kingsman)

Which Expansions Make The Game More Difficult?

Manhunter
Slenderman
Spidicules
Lion Knight
Lonely Tree

Which Expansions Make the Game Optionally More Difficult?

Lion God
Gorm
Dung Beetle Knight
dragon King
Sunstalker

Which Are Considered The Toughest Expansions?

Manhunter
Lion God

Which Expansions add a new Campaign?

Dragon King
Sunstalker
Flower Knight (adds a small variant campaign).
First Hero (unreleased expansion nothing finalized)
Black Knight ( 5 year mini campaign)
Gryphon (unreleased)
Red Witches (3 year mini campaign)
Inverted Mountain (New Campaign)
Abyssal Woods

Which Expansions are considered the best value for money in terms of physical content?

Dung Beetle Knight

Which of the Expansions are considered the best value for money in terms of gameplay and physical content?

Dragon King
Gorm

Which Expansions are considered the best in terms of cost?

flower knight
Gorm
Sunstalker

Which Expansions Have The Best Showdowns (fights)?

Flower Knight
Dragon King
Lion God

Which Expansions Have The Best Gear?

Gorm
Flower Knight
Dung Beetle Knight
Lion God
Manhunter
Sunstalker

What are the new expansions currently announced?

First Hero
Nightmare Ram
Screaming God
Frogdog
Oblivion Mosquito
Pariah
Black Knight
Gryphon
Red Witches
Death Knight Armor
Inverted Mountain
Silver City
Honeycomb Weaver
Ivory Dragon
Abyssal Woods

KDM features Body Horror and Nudity, if im opposed to that which expansions should i avoid?

Gorm
Sunstalker
Lion God
Spidicules
Lion Knight
Frogdog
Gryphon
Red Witches
Honeycomb Weaver
Abyssal Woods
Ivory Dragon

Which Expansions contain Non Sexualised Nudity? Nudity that isnt supposed to be sexual or perverse

Spidicules

What are the best selling KDM Expansions?

Dragon King
Lion Knight
Flower Knight
Gorm

Which is Adam Poots (designer) Favourite Expansion?

Dung Beetle Knight

If im sick of hunting White Lions Which Expansion Should I get?

Gorm
Frogdog (new expansion details still unclear)
Honeycomb Weaver (new expansion still unclear)

Which Expansions Contain Large Models?

Dragon King
Gorm
Sunstalker
Lion God
Spidicules
Gryphon
Lonely Tree
Abyssal Woods
Ivory Dragon

Which Expansion is The Hardest To Assemble?

Lonely Tree

Which Expansions add unique game mechanics?

Sunstalker
Spidicules
Lonely Tree
First Hero (unreleased)
Pariah (unreleased)
Nightmare Ram (unreleased)
Black Knight (unreleased)
Red Witches (unreleased)
Silver City (Unreleased)

Which Expansions Are Typically Considered To Have Issues?

Spidicules - was sold with the wrong sprues, this was later sorted for those who received the wrong sprues. Spidicules is a great expansion but the model is to large and impractical which is a shame because its a great looking model.

Lion God - A very late game quarry (huntable monster). Some consider it to be to tough to beat. It is also very late in a campaign which means it isnt likely to see the table often. It is however one of the better showdowns and the rewards are strange but good.

Sunstalker - A tough campaign that suffers from a lack of new foes right up until the boss. The Dragon King has you face off against the tyrant at certain points but the Sunstalker expansion only has you face the Sunstalker at the very end of the campaign. Ontop of this losing a nemesis encounter ends the game immediately and they appear close to the end of the campaign. Still considered to be a good expansion, its just a little more unusual with its new mechanics.

Green Knight Armor - A new set of craftable armor that requires many expansions to actually craft the armor. Considered to be extremely hard to craft and verging on the impossible to craft a full suit.

Which Expansions Add Huntable Monsters?

Dragon King
Sunstalker
Dung Beetle Knight
Flower Knight
Spidicules
Gorm
Frogdog
Screaming God
Lion God
Nightmare Ram
Oblivion Mosquito
Black Knight (unreleased and can only hunt him once)
Gryphon
Honeycomb Weaver
Abyssal Woods

Which Expansions Add A New Nemesis?

Dragon King
Slenderman
Manhunter
Lion Knight
Pariah (Unreleased)
Red Witches (unreleased)

Which Expansion Is Considered to Be The Best Nemesis Encounter?

Manhunter or Lion Knight

Which Expansion is Considered to Be The Best Huntable Monster?

Gorm

Which Expansion Comes Out On Top In A Fight Between Dragon King And Sunstalker?

The dragon king comes with 2 new monsters, the tyrant and dragon king. Both fights are considered to be two of the best showdowns in the game.
The Sunstalker campaign comes with 1 new Boss enemy the Sunstalker he is a fun fight but adds a new light shadow mechanic to the game that is mixed interms of opinion.
The Sunstalker campaign comes with the best craftable gear, the dragon kings is good but not as good. Also the Sunstalker comes with a new special Hunt Event which is Sky Fishing.
Both expansions come with a new weapon type and proficiency, The dragon king's is considered to be better interms of benefits.
The Dragon King adds some new elements to the campaign but overall it doesnt deviate to far from the original formula of the base campaign, this means that other expansion whilst not advised do not really hurt this campaign if added.
The Sunstalker includes many new and unusual elements to its campaign, for example survivors cannot wear heavy gear and losing a nemesis encounter will cost you the game.
Both have their positive and negatives but the dragon king comes out on top simply becuase it doesnt divide opinion with its mechanics and it includes 2 new monsters who are both considered to be two of the best fights in the game.It also works well with other expansions.

Which Expansions Should I Get If I Want To Plan Ahead With Extending A Campaign Beyond The 30 Lantern Years?

Screaming God - The only expansion that officially extends the campaign by 5 lantern years, this expansion is unreleased currently however.

Lion God - Currently the hardest monster in the game and a good pick for a later or longer game quarry.

Manhunter - A Tough Nemesis Encounter and currently the only monster that has rules for Level 4 difficulty.

Abyssal Woods - Confirmed as a node 5 Boss monster you can hunt after defeating the Gold Smoke Knight.

Ivory Dragon - a Node 5 Monster that extends your campaign by 5 years and lets you hunt it after defeating the Gold Smoke Knight.

Which Expansions Come With Craftable Armor Sets?

Dragon King armor kit to make 4 survivors
Sunstalker armor kit to make 4 survivors
Spidicules armor kit to make 4 survivors
Gorm armor kit to make 4 survivors
Dung Beetle Knight 2 narrative sculpts only
Nightmare Ram (unreleased expansion) narrative sculpts only
Frogdog (unreleased expansion) narrative sculpts only
Screaming God (unreleased expansion, speculation) narrative sculpts only
Gryphon (unreleased expansion) narrative sculpts only
Death Knight armor (narrative sculpts only)
Honeycomb Weaver (narrative sculpts only)
Abyssal Woods (narrative sculpts only)

Which 2 Expansions Should I Buy First?

KDM is a fun game with loads of content in the base game. If you still want expansions however then i recommend

Dragon King or Sunstalker and Gorm or Flower Knight with dragon king and gorm being the recommended of the 4.

Which is the most underrated expansion?

Spidicules - its a very solid expansion, decent gear, good showdown, interesting story, fabulous models and plenty of extra content including innovations, fighting arts and settlement events. It is only letdown by the models impracticality.

Which expansions work best in combination?

Difficult one to answer and no real correct answer but..

flower knight and spidicules
gorm and dragon king
flower knight and manhunter
dung beetle knight and flower knight
spidicules and sunstalker

Which Expansions Make KDM even More Dark and increase the Horror Element?

Slenderman
Manhunter
Oblivion Mosquito (unreleased)
Honeycomb Weaver (unreleased)

Which expansions have the best backstory and fluff surrounding them?

Lion God
Slenderman
Manhunter
Sunstalker

Which is the rarest expansion?

Right now hard to say but in the future...
Green Knight Armor

Is the Gamblers Chest An Expansion?

No but itcould quite possibly be considered an expansion in the future with all its additional gameplay content. There seems to be quite a lot of stuff in that chest.

Which Expansions Require Other Expansions?

Inverted Mountain
Silver City
Abyssal Woods

Which Expansions Are Needed To Play The Inverted Mountain Campaign?

Frogdog
Oblivion Mosquito
Pariah
Nightmare Ram
Gryphon
Black Knight
Red Witches

Is The Inverted Mountain Worth Buying If I Don't Own The Needed Expansions?

Probably not, still unclear if the mountain man can be used in other campaigns.

Which Expansions Are Needed To Play The Silver City Campaign?

Lion God

Is The Silver City Expansion Worth Buying if I Don't Own The Lion God
Expansion?

No

Which Expansions Are Needed To Play The Abyssal Woods Campaign?

Flower Knight
Spidicules

Is The Abyssal Woods Expansion Worth Buying If I Dont Own Both The Required Expansions?

Possibly not, although Poots did mention that The Goblin Dragon from this expansion can be used as a node 3 and node 5 monster.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Roza
Netherlands
flag msg tools
You sir, are amazing!

This is such a great list and should become part of every KD faq ever.
The only thing I am missing are the sources used for this information. Would love to see sources for some of the more opinion-based parts of the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Indalecio
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which expansions are most difficult to assemble?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willian Boit Silva
United States
California
flag msg tools
Yttrenolv wrote:

Haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:
Which Expansions Enrich The Main Game Experience that you wouldnt play without?

Flower Knight

Flower Knight
These two answers seem to contradict each other, but even if I accept that slightly easier is better, it's the first time I've heard this opinion. Why do you think Flower Knight is essential?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunstalker definitely needs to be added to the best gear column; the armour set alone is *insanely* good. The darts, denticle axe, skleaver, ink blood bow and harpoon are all absolutely amazing as well.

There's a mix of fact and opinion here I think could do with clear demarcation (admittedly I share most of these opinions, but still...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Schaaf
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much. Really helpfull!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raj M
United States
New York
flag msg tools
What do you mean by "optionally more difficult" for:

Lion God
Gorm
Dung Beetle Knight
dragon King
Sunstalker

?
is this just because they are quarries rather than forced nemesis encounters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Kester
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Lion Knight, I just didn't assemble the lion's harem and then there's nothing sexual about it.

This looks really good. Thanks! Doesn't the gorm replace the white lion though? I don't have it but that's what I heard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
gorkel wrote:

Flower Knight

Flower Knight
These two answers seem to contradict each other, but even if I accept that slightly easier is better, it's the first time I've heard this opinion. Why do you think Flower Knight is essential?

The included FA/SFA are pretty useful. Also he gives a badge which is the soonest that you can get tactics. Even if you don't use his bow, everything else he offers is quite nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:
Which Expansions are considered the best value for money in terms of physical content?

Dung Beetle Knight

Which of the Expansions are considered the best value for money in terms of gameplay and physical content?

Dragon King
Gorm

flower knight
Gorm

If you wouldn't mind elaborating a little on this I would appreciate it. The first one is fairly clear as you get more minis for similar cost. Why is the flower knight not in the middle category though if it is in the last one despite it only coming with one mini? Further why is dragon king not in the last category? Is it just because it's cost is so much higher? It seems like it offers a ton with the added quarry, nemesis, and full campaign.

I have a limited budget and have been looking into these expansions quite a bit as a result to determine the best place to invest. I have already decided on the dragon king as it's such an amazing looking expansion and at a steep discount... and flower knight was my #2 until it ended up being more expensive... so now I'm considering dung beetle knight over it. Any advice you can offer? I'm hoping I'll secure enough funds that it won't matter and I'll buy all 3... but not sure it's heading that way (especially if the gamblers chest ends up being as good a value as it looks and I need to get that too).

Thanks for this thread though! It is concise and very helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Rhinehart
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Semi-English Nonsense
mbmbmbmbmb
KDM BGG post of the decade! Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely a great post for some quick answers.

As someone who is buying for the first time, too, I've been reading as much as I can. I know everyone talks about the Dragon King, but I'm leaning towards Sunstalker (when/if the add-on reprint is announced) instead. Mainly due to the comments comparing the DK gear to what Sunstalker offers. Since those are the two big alternate campaign expansions, it might be worth a quick direct comparison between them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Tobal
Spain
Arroyomolinos
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eflin wrote:
gorkel wrote:

Dung Beetle Knight

Dragon King
Gorm

flower knight
Gorm

If you wouldn't mind elaborating a little on this I would appreciate it. The first one is fairly clear as you get more minis for similar cost. Why is the flower knight not in the middle category though if it is in the last one despite it only coming with one mini? Further why is dragon king not in the last category? Is it just because it's cost is so much higher? It seems like it offers a ton with the added quarry, nemesis, and full campaign.

I have a limited budget and have been looking into these expansions quite a bit as a result to determine the best place to invest. I have already decided on the dragon king as it's such an amazing looking expansion and at a steep discount... and flower knight was my #2 until it ended up being more expensive... so now I'm considering dung beetle knight over it. Any advice you can offer? I'm hoping I'll secure enough funds that it won't matter and I'll buy all 3... but not sure it's heading that way (especially if the gamblers chest ends up being as good a value as it looks and I need to get that too).

Thanks for this thread though! It is concise and very helpful.

I haven't played the game so take my opinion with a grain of salt:

Im guessing the Dragon King didn't make the last category (best for cost) because its twice as expensive as most expansions and because, for its price in the webstore, you could get both Grom and Flower knight and still have almost half the cost left for a 3rd expansion.

That being said, though, its discount is substantial so if you want it, there won't be a better time to get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Yttrenolv wrote:

Lonely Tree. None of the others are quite as tricky as the Phoenix or Watcher; the Tree is possibly more complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why isn't Sunstalker listed as one of the best value for your $ expansions? It should be. Big new quarry, 7 models, and a full alternative campaign. Not to mention great gear and a unique showdown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
gorkel wrote:

Flower Knight

Flower Knight

for one it makes the game slightly easier and its also the most fun showdown in the game. its also an optional hunt so you arent pressured to actually face him at any point. Personally i would always add the flower knight to my games regardless of the rest of the expansions or the cmapaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Oops.
badge
Dead again.
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
As someone who is buying for the first time, too, I've been reading as much as I can. I know everyone talks about the Dragon King, but I'm leaning towards Sunstalker (when/if the add-on reprint is announced) instead. Mainly due to the comments comparing the DK gear to what Sunstalker offers. Since those are the two big alternate campaign expansions, it might be worth a quick direct comparison between them.

I'm also leaning towards the Sunstalker. However in my case it's mostly because I much prefer the Sunstalker mini to the Dragon King mini. IMO, the Sunstalker screams KD:M while the Dragon King looks like generic fantasy.

My current selection would be:
- Gorm (like the model and it adds an early game quarry)
- Sunstalker (like the model, it adds a later game quarry and offers an alternate campaign)
- Slenderman (LOVE the model, and supposedly it really shakes up the campaign)

Epidemius wrote:
Why isn't Sunstalker listed as one of the best value for your $ expansions? It should be. Big new quarry, 7 models, and a full alternative campaign. Not to mention great gear and a unique showdown.

From what I've understood of the expansions, you make a very valid point! I think most people tend to prefer the Dragon King (likely because the model is so huge), and because of that the Sunstalker gets left in the shadow a little.

I've never played the game though, so take it all with a grain of salt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeeshburger wrote:
What do you mean by "optionally more difficult" for:

Lion God
Gorm
Dung Beetle Knight
dragon King
Sunstalker

?
is this just because they are quarries rather than forced nemesis encounters?

yes, by adding them it doesnt mean the game is going to be more difficult unless oyu later choose to hunt them

i updated the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ObsoleteThree wrote:
For the Lion Knight, I just didn't assemble the lion's harem and then there's nothing sexual about it.

This looks really good. Thanks! Doesn't the gorm replace the white lion though? I don't have it but that's what I heard.

Originally Poots said it would replace the White Lion but according to the rulebook it doesnt. It simply says to add its event to lantern year 1. It doesnt mention anything about removing the White Lion.

You can however Remove the white lion if you want a hard game of KDM and replace it with the Gorm however there are no official rules for doing so and no official Gorm Prologue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the work in this chart. I do have a question and would welcome help from anyone that is experienced with the game. Funds are not an issue, but I have limited playtime (2-4 games per month) and I have never played the game before, so I am being conservative. That said, if poots opens up the manager after I play the game, what I get may change. So questions:

1. I am trying to decide between getting Gorm, The Flower Knight, The DBK, or both The FK and DBK. Is Gorm only considered essential because he is the only other level 1 quarry and it breaks up the monotony of always fighting the Lion or is he essential even without that? ((I am an MMORPG player and grinding the same stuff over and over is enjoyed and in my blood. I have no fear of tiring of the Lion any time soon, considering my playtime available))

2. Considering the above question details and your experience, which of the 3 options would you pick looking back?

3. Also, I had considered the Dragon, but being that it will take me almost a year to get through the original campaign (without wiping)due to playtime, is this a pointless addition for me at this time? I know there is a price savings, but I do not want something sitting around for a year waiting for me to play it either.

Thanks for any help and insights!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fubarbox wrote:
Thank you for all the work in this chart. I do have a question and would welcome help from anyone that is experienced with the game. Funds are not an issue, but I have limited playtime (2-4 games per month) and I have never played the game before, so I am being conservative. That said, if poots opens up the manager after I play the game, what I get may change. So questions:

1. I am trying to decide between getting Gorm, The Flower Knight, The DBK, or both The FK and DBK. Is Gorm only considered essential because he is the only other level 1 quarry and it breaks up the monotony of always fighting the Lion or is he essential even without that? ((I am an MMORPG player and grinding the same stuff over and over is enjoyed and in my blood. I have no fear of tiring of the Lion any time soon, considering my playtime available))

2. Considering the above question details and your experience, which of the 3 options would you pick looking back?

3. Also, I had considered the Dragon, but being that it will take me almost a year to get through the original campaign (without wiping)due to playtime, is this a pointless addition for me at this time? I know there is a price savings, but I do not want something sitting around for a year waiting for me to play it either.

The Gorm isn't recommended soley on it being the earliest addition - the gear (which scales to higher levels and includes some top-tier, endgame stuff as well as early game stuff, a great armour set - which can be upgraded, uniquely - and it generally adding more optinons for the more unloved weapon types) is a big part of it.

More info on all of the expansions can be found here - https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1683147/new-kdm-everything-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fubarbox wrote:

The Gorm is considered the best expansion to get partly due to it being a lantern year 1 monster and partly due to its new gear and craftable armor being good. It is also good value for money due to the fact that it has alot of good content, a large model and an armor kit sprue. As far as it being different from the lion i guess it is but not greatly so, they are similar interms of difficulty and interms of some of their attacks and their stats overall.

The Flower Knight is good because he is one of the most fun fights, his gear isnt great overall but he does bring in the best bow in the game and some great fighting arts. Due to this he actually makes the game slightly easier. Hes a lantern year 5 so relatively early and hes also beatable at lantern year 5. Alot of monsters are to difficult for the lantern year they are added but he isnt. Hes also a cheap expansion and i would use him in every campaign i play.

The DBK comes with a lot of content, hes the designers favorite monster and has received alot of love from him and it shows. Hes a tough fight but brings a lot of good late game gear. Hes a later game quarry than the others (around lantern year 7 i beleive but to tough to fight that early) and becuase of this hes unlikely to see the table as often which is a shame.

Both Sunstalker and Dragon King are good first epxansions, not only do theyt add a new cmapaign but they also add a new huntable monster, both are harder than the phoenix and both come with a lot of content. Sunstalker has the better gear but dragon king is the better fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the reply. Such a tough decision. The reason I ruled the Dragon off is because of how long the main campaign will take me, so the new campaign he offers, although cool is less appealing. I knew he was a Quarry, but a link I read said his gear was good, but nothing special. I figured The Flower Knight and DBK would offer more if purchased instead. I have read a lot about the actual monsters, but never having played, it makes the decision harder on actual worth for my situation. Well its either going to be Gorm, The dragon, or both the DBK and Flower knight that I add, but only one. I guess I will need to think on this more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] |