Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Gaia Project fanMicrobadge: I am a Terra Mystica fan!Microbadge: Level 08 BGG posterMicrobadge: Geek Regular
My in-laws know that I go to a board game night at a local game shop once a week. They love picking up stuff at thrift stores as my mother-in-law volunteers at one. So they got me a copy of this BattleLore 1st ed for Christmas. It looks interesting, but I've never heard of it before.

After everyone left my house, I started taking a look at it. It looks like the chips, cards, and hexes are all in good condition. I pull the tray out and there is a whole bunch of printed out "scenario stuff" (in color too) for this game. I start looking at the instructions and hmmm.... there are supposed to be figurines to place on the board and hexes. I didn't see any figurines whatsoever. At this point I didn't even bother to check anything else!

WTF do I do with this game now? Maybe the previous owner just kept all the little figurines because his kids loved playing with them like the classic little green army men.

Do I even bring it up to my in-laws or just chuck the game on the shelf? I don't think they can get their money back and I'm not sure how much they spent on it either. Maybe I could just donate it myself in tax year when I'm sure to itemize deductions and send someone else back here to find this topic in a few months/years!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akash Swain
India
New Delhi
New Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: I am always the target when I play boardgames with my friendsMicrobadge: Darth Vader fanMicrobadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: Lisboa fan
I don't think you should bring it up with your in laws on account of it being a gift and all.

You could donate it or you could pawn off/help people out in need of spare parts. It's first edition, so I think the components would be rare and valuable to someone looking for replacements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
Microbadge: It's not over 'til it's overMicrobadge: Variant DesignerMicrobadge: Razor Sharp - BGG Women's Forum participantMicrobadge: DIY Expansion DesignerMicrobadge: Appreciate the little things in life
It's likely that since the rest of the game is in such good condition, plus there are printed out scenarios and stuff, that the owner kept the figures (which she/he probably had expansion sets of, too) sorted in in a separate tray or case (like I do). Chances are, whoever donated this to the thrift shop didn't realize that.

You could still play the game by making proxies from the lists that are available on BGG if you wanted to. Depending on the type of unit, there are 2 or three in a hex at start up, with colored "banners" to mark the type of unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: What does this mean for Up Front?Microbadge: Grateful Dead fanMicrobadge: Lord Protector of the RealmMicrobadge: Goldsieber Spiele fanMicrobadge: Wargamer of 40+ years
You should send the rule book to me!

I thrifted my 1st edition Battlelore, and was missing the rules.

Too bad, it's a pretty fun game. You could just use wooden cubes or something to proxy for the figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Led Zeppelin fanMicrobadge: Paths of Glory fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game FanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: West Ham fan
You declare donations to charity shops as tax deductable? Wow, America is a weird and wonderful place indeed.

I think your best 3 options are...

1. Sell the components you have on ebay or BGG market as several different lots, board, cards etc. Being first editition you would make enough to buy a new 2nd edition game probably.

2. Try and buy the miniatures on the secondary market (it's worth it).

3. As first edition is the better game (IMHO), you could easily make counters to represent the units, using graphics from the rules and other printed resources. That is probably what I would do. It's an excellent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Platinum RPG CollectorMicrobadge: ExpatriateMicrobadge: Cult of the OldMicrobadge: Roleplaying Since 1985Microbadge: Platinum Board Game Collector
There are some custom paper stand-ups in the file section of the game that might work for you here:
https://rpggeek.com/filepage/68305/custom-paper-units
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrewzgamez AzGzEz

Sarasota
Florida
msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: I Rearrange My GamesMicrobadge: Casual wargamer
I agree ( though a little amazed that you are able to write such a thing off ) with the ' making a tax deduction ' approach . You might get something for the manual , if it is in reasonable condition - and English . I possess only a French edition ( made in Canada ) . You can probably still pick up the game , complete but second-hand , for $20 US , then just a few more dollars for internal postage . Luxury . It is a great game . I prefer the middle-age theme scenarios , but that is because I am more of a historical gamer . The problem with the first edition of this game is that all the figures are the same color - grey . You have to continually check the flags , otherwise , in the heat of battle , you may end-up attacking your own troups . I would like an extra set of figures , so that I know I would have more than enough to paint a complete army . With the second edition , the two sides appear easier to differentiate because of their color . The place and time to buy the second edition was last month , on the Geek . New - $30 ! I was sorely tempted , but shipping to Nippon is always a bug-bear . Any RBorg C&C game is worth the purchase . Thank your in-laws for the thought , then get to acquiring the game in its entirerity . Not possessing the second edition , nor having considered the contents and senarios , I cannot recommend . I do not know if the game possesses as much of an historical flavour as the first edition . Whatever the case , the box art alone of the first edition warrants a place in a clooection . That and Battle Masters by MB are probably my two favorite lids .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Led Zeppelin fanMicrobadge: Paths of Glory fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game FanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: West Ham fan
Manduwolf wrote:
I agree ( though a little amazed that you are able to write such a thing off ) with the ' making a tax deduction ' approach . You might get something for the manual , if it is in reasonable condition - and English . I possess only a French edition ( made in Canada ) . You can probably still pick up the game , complete but second-hand , for $20 US , then just a few more dollars for internal postage . Luxury . It is a great game . I prefer the middle-age theme scenarios , but that is because I am more of a historical gamer . The problem with the first edition of this game is that all the figures are the same color - grey . You have to continually check the flags , otherwise , in the heat of battle , you may end-up attacking your own troups . I would like an extra set of figures , so that I know I would have more than enough to paint a complete army . With the second edition , the two sides appear easier to differentiate because of their color . The place and time to buy the second edition was last month , on the Geek . New - $30 ! I was sorely tempted , but shipping to Nippon is always a bug-bear . Any RBorg C&C game is worth the purchase . Thank your in-laws for the thought , then get to acquiring the game in its entirerity . Not possessing the second edition , nor having considered the contents and senarios , I cannot recommend . I do not know if the game possesses as much of an historical flavour as the first edition . Whatever the case , the box art alone of the first edition warrants a place in a clooection . That and Battle Masters by MB are probably my two favorite lids .
I painted all the minis about 5 years ago, painting their shields red blue or green as appropriate as part of the project. Then I put transfer decals on the shields. Even though I'm not the greatest painter they look great. I couldn't play the game with grey minis. I've painted several hundred Memoir '44 minis too. Traded Ancients because 2 games from this system is enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrewzgamez AzGzEz

Sarasota
Florida
msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: I Rearrange My GamesMicrobadge: Casual wargamer
I would not suggest playing the game with proxy pieces - the experience could end up something akin to playing draughts , or a Queen game . I suspect you enjoy playing the board games you do because of a certain affliction to the joy of playing with plastic miniatures . I am guessing that you might be over the age of 40 . Those yet to attain that bench-mark are more inclined to want to play games of an electronic nature . Part of the attraction is being able to get your rocks off with plastic army pieces in a vast number of games that didn't exist 30 years or more ago .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
Manduwolf wrote:
I would not suggest playing the game with proxy pieces - the experience could end up something akin to playing draughts , or a Queen game . I suspect you enjoy playing the board games you do because of a certain affliction to the joy of playing with plastic miniatures . I am guessing that you might be over the age of 40 . Those yet to attain that bench-mark are more inclined to want to play games of an electronic nature . Part of the attraction is being able to get your rocks off with plastic army pieces in a vast number of games that didn't exist 30 years or more ago .
I disagree, whilst I do prefer it with minis, Ancients is played with wooden blocks and plays perfectly well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrewzgamez AzGzEz

Sarasota
Florida
msg tools
Hi Phil , thanks for the response . I haven't made the calculations , so I don't know if painting is the answer . I guessed that there may be certain scenarios where some of the same pieces are required to be used on one side or the other . A double-up effect . " I need X number of infantry for the French in this senario ? , oh no - I will have to make up the number with figures that I have up on which splashed the clors of King George .
A great deal of calculation would be required to ensure game play is not to be comprimised .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: Herculean Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Level 13 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Go to the "Plastic Soldier Review" site. On the left side is an index with a "Periods" category. Go to "Hundred Years' War."

There you'll find manufacturers (and photos of the miniatures in nearly all the sets) offering every human type figure you'd need for B'lore.

The PSR site also has a section for Fantasy figures. Several manufacturers now make Orcs and Goblins in common scale with the other plastic-soldier manufacturers. Even Elves and Undead for your own homemade scenarios and unit types.

Sorry for the disappointing outcome, but don't give up. This game will not be published again in the version you have; hold onto it, it's fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
Manduwolf wrote:
Hi Phil , thanks for the response . I haven't made the calculations , so I don't know if painting is the answer . I guessed that there may be certain scenarios where some of the same pieces are required to be used on one side or the other . A double-up effect . " I need X number of infantry for the French in this senario ? , oh no - I will have to make up the number with figures that I have up on which splashed the clors of King George .
A great deal of calculation would be required to ensure game play is not to be comprimised .
Not a problem. The standards can be plugged into any base. I haven't had a problem with shortage of minis. I assume the scenarios were designed accordingly. Not worth me posting photos as there are already hundreds in the battlelore gallery of paint jobs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Gaia Project fanMicrobadge: I am a Terra Mystica fan!Microbadge: Level 08 BGG posterMicrobadge: Geek Regular
Thanks all for the responses. I usually attend a couple of different board game nights in my area and I'll ask around to see who in my area has played this when I go. I posted this question to one of my board game FB groups and a member suggested I post a question here, then she realized I already did it!

Jude wrote:
It's likely that since the rest of the game is in such good condition, plus there are printed out scenarios and stuff, that the owner kept the figures (which she/he probably had expansion sets of, too) sorted in in a separate tray or case (like I do). Chances are, whoever donated this to the thrift shop didn't realize that.
Yeah, I think either "Mom" or "Wife" did some cleaning, or the thrift shop didn't realize that the 2-3 boxes had to go together and then sold them separately. shake

philmcd wrote:
You declare donations to charity shops as tax deductable? Wow, America is a weird and wonderful place indeed.
Uh, the tax code in the US has about 74,000+ pages of explanation of the rules and regulations. So it's not really so wonderful. For the Federal (National) Income Tax people have a choice to choose the Standard Deduction from Total Income or to Itemize Deductions (a whole bunch of different stuff like the interest (only the interest) paid on a home mortgage, donations to non-profits, medical expenses over 7.5% of adjusted income, state and local taxes paid, etc) and other stuff is deducted in another section so that the Total Income gets reduced to an Adjusted Gross Income and then to a Net Income of which Income Tax is calculated from.

philmcd wrote:
I think your best 3 options are...

1. Sell the components you have on ebay or BGG market as several different lots, board, cards etc. Being first editition you would make enough to buy a new 2nd edition game probably.

2. Try and buy the miniatures on the secondary market (it's worth it).

3. As first edition is the better game (IMHO), you could easily make counters to represent the units, using graphics from the rules and other printed resources. That is probably what I would do. It's an excellent game.
If I'm going to go in on this game, 1st or 2nd ed, I'd need to see how much interest there is in my area first. All of those are good suggestions. If I sell it and it nets over a certain amount, I'll have to actually pay taxes on it!

eisenphx wrote:
There are some custom paper stand-ups in the file section of the game that might work for you here:
https://rpggeek.com/filepage/68305/custom-paper-units
This might be a good idea too. I have a laminator to make them much more durable.

Manduwolf wrote:
LOL! I'm not that old yet! I do enjoy both mediums, but I haven't really played any miniature games. The games I have picked up on board, I have actually played primarily online first! The strategy board/card games I started in on was the original Star Wars CCG from Decipher (after it ended there was a long period of tail chasing devil) and then I found Catan (all of it's expansions too), Terra Mystica, and several others as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrewzgamez AzGzEz

Sarasota
Florida
msg tools
I did go to the website , and clicked on Periods , but there didn't appear to be one actually titled ' Hundred Years' War '.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrewzgamez AzGzEz

Sarasota
Florida
msg tools
You disagree , but then say you do prefer playing with minis - aren't you then agreeing with me ? I have Napoleonics , it's okay , but players tend to become too defensive while awaiting the right cards . It may be because of the blocks that I am not as keen on that as I am all other RBorg games . A good deal being offered on the Geek now for Abaddon . It is different , but still good fun . If I to play with blocks , I like those with more purpose , in such Fog of War games such as Hammer of the Scots or Ceaser's Gallic War .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
Manduwolf wrote:
You disagree , but then say you do prefer playing with minis - aren't you then agreeing with me ? I have Napoleonics , it's okay , but players tend to become too defensive while awaiting the right cards . It may be because of the blocks that I am not as keen on that as I am all other RBorg games . A good deal being offered on the Geek now for Abaddon . It is different , but still good fun . If I to play with blocks , I like those with more purpose , in such Fog of War games such as Hammer of the Scots or Ceaser's Gallic War .
No, I do PREFER minis, but I am disagreeing with you that it doesn't play well without minis. Big difference. Others prefer blocks or counters to minis. but neither preference affects how well the game system works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Williamson
United States
Bloomfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: BattleLore fanMicrobadge: Miniatures GamerMicrobadge: Conan fanMicrobadge: Battlestations fan
You could ask your in-laws which shop they got it at and check if the minis are at the shop. Items in thrift stores get moved around and mixed up all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls