Subject: Playable with 2nd Edition Rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeffrey james
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play with Scum & Villainy!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Destiny fan
I just picked this up at a thrift shop, and am very excited about it. I haven't played it yet, but I noticed in some reviews that the 2nd edition has some streamlined rules and is perhaps better for new players. Can I use the 2nd edition rules to play this version?

Thanks for any thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Millen
United Kingdom
Greyabbey
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
jeff3316 wrote:
I just picked this up at a thrift shop, and am very excited about it.
That's a good start.

Quote:
I haven't played it yet, but I noticed in some reviews that the 2nd edition has some streamlined rules and is perhaps better for new players. Can I use the 2nd edition rules to play this version?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Not easily. Much of 2nd Edition mechanisms come from the included components, such as map setup cards, deployment cards, special unit powers etc) It would be a non-trivial task to re-create all of this for first edition.

The most obvious difference is that 1st Edition is about killing enemy units, 2nd Edition about racking up VP, mainly from identified locations. Both objectives have their pros and cons and if you want to use VP locations in 1st Edition there are plenty of examples around to facilitate this.

Meanwhile you have acquired an excellent game. Try it as written first, you may be happy with the original outlook and investigate variants at leisure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2019 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Level 13 BGG posterMicrobadge: Silver Image UploaderMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
jeff3316 wrote:
Can I use the 2nd edition rules to play this version?

I'm going with a flat out no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I agree with the flat out no of Mark but I also add, along with what Peter wrote, why should you? If you have read somewhere that 2nd edition is better than 1st edition, believe me, that's not true. They are simply different games. With several things in common, sure, but definitely different. Personally, I liked them both but I find myself playing 1st edition more often. Especially historical scenarios, in which this simple game system, in my opinion, shines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeffrey james
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play with Scum & Villainy!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Destiny fan
thank you everyone - very helpful responses. I see your point that they are different games. The question I have now, is how do I convince my wife to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
Eastbourne, England (Yankee go home!)
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Holland '44Microbadge: For the People fanMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Space Empires: Close Encounters fanMicrobadge: Julius Caesar fan
Agree with Guilio, 1st is a much better game and I'd go further and say that BL2 is a disappointment and wish they had carried on with BL1 expansions -- however -- that was probably fiscally impossible based on remarks I have read elsewhere. In the meantime, enjoy BL1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2019 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Level 13 BGG posterMicrobadge: Silver Image UploaderMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
jeff3316 wrote:
thank you everyone - very helpful responses. I see your point that they are different games. The question I have now, is how do I convince my wife to play!
Well, BL1 uses a programmed instruction approach, so it gradually introduces the complicated rules. The first scenario, Agincourt, is quite simple using just the Command cards.

It also plays pretty quick, so if you do the setup, she is probably looking at under an hour to play a game.

The first 4 scenarios really just introduce the units, terrain and the Command cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Whistling Death fanMicrobadge: COIN fanMicrobadge: Panzer fanMicrobadge: Duel of Ages fanMicrobadge: Fleet Series fan
jeff3316 wrote:
Wash her car. Take out the trash. Cook dinner. Wash the dishes. Take her to the ballet. Buy her diamonds.

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeffrey james
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
You had me until your last idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Whistling Death fanMicrobadge: COIN fanMicrobadge: Panzer fanMicrobadge: Duel of Ages fanMicrobadge: Fleet Series fan
jeff3316 wrote:
You had me until your last idea.
"I'm on a horse." laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls