Recommend
57 
 Thumb up
 Hide
103 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: The Collector - A Fan-made Core Set Scenario (Print And Play) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
I just got the core set, and after playing the first three scenarios, I obviously wanted more content. The core set has a fun selection of encounter cards, so it should be possible to squeeze a bunch of fan-made scenarios out of it.

Here's my first effort, called "The Collector".

The Collector requires only the custom cards provided in this PDF, and a single core set.



TheCollector_PrintAndPlay.pdf (PDF, English, 4.3MB)

Other resources:
The Collector, BGG File Page
TheCollector_PrintAndPlay_FR.pdf (PDF, French, 4.3MB)
TheCollector_PrintAndPlay_PL.pdf (PDF, Polish, 4.3MB)
TheCollector_PrintAndPlay_DE.pdf (PDF, German, 4.4MB)
The Collector Scenario Card Envelop and Dividers (PNG, 7.1MB)

Print these 3 pages at 100%. Cut, fold and sleeve them in standard card protectors. Gather your Arkham Horror core set cards and you're ready to play. Instructions for setup are on the back of the "Scenario" card.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
This scenario is based around the card draw/discard mechanical flavour of the two Yithian cards in the core set.


All suggestions and corrections gratefully received.

Credits:
• Cards based off of the amazing templates by: Vardaen
• French translation by Lapaing
• Polish translation by Sledziu_w
• German translation by MrPanic
• Scenario envelope and dividers by boblafouine, to fit with his other great dividers
77 
 Thumb up
131
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ddavbro Ddavbro
France
flag msg tools
mb
Well done! Nice work!
I'd like to print it out and laminate the cards. But it would be better if I could print the cards out with the fronts and backs on a single sheet of paper.
Could it be possible for you to get another PDF file with the fronts on a page and the corresponding backs on another?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Hoping to give this a little cheeky shot tomorrow (if I can recall how to dump card sheets into Tabletop Simulator) and glancing through that pdf. everything looks super solid. That poor lead investigator though.

Have you a feel for best number of players for this yet, or do you think it should scale well, or is it a little up in the air?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Ddavbro wrote:
Well done! Nice work!
I'd like to print it out and laminate the cards. But it would be better if I could print the cards out with the fronts and backs on a single sheet of paper.
Could it be possible for you to get another PDF file with the fronts on a page and the corresponding backs on another?
Really sorry, I'd rather not change the format or try and maintain two versions of the file as I make updates. The format is designed to be printed and folded in half for easy sleeving. Very quick to print and play.

Speaking of updates, I just noticed that I missed something off Agenda 2a:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Agenda 2a should read:

With your head throbbing, and the taste of betrayal in your mouth, you stumble to your feet. The room is dark and unfamiliar. You stumble into heavy objects before discovering the door is locked.

Forced: Search the encounter deck and discard pile for a Locked Door and play it on the lead investigator’s current location. Then shuffle the encounter deck and discard pile together.


File updated on the link above.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Noaloha wrote:
Hoping to give this a little cheeky shot tomorrow (if I can recall how to dump card sheets into Tabletop Simulator) and glancing through that pdf. everything looks super solid. That poor lead investigator though.

Have you a feel for best number of players for this yet, or do you think it should scale well, or is it a little up in the air?
I'm just playing the game solo, so it's only been balanced/play-tested with one investigator.

Without any experience myself, anything you'd recommend tweaking to ensure it's still fun for 2+ players?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
crikeymiles wrote:
I'm just playing the game solo, so it's only been balanced/play-tested with one investigator.

Without any experience myself, anything you'd recommend tweaking to ensure it's still fun for 2+ players?
Immediate thoughts are simply "are there enough clues in the box to support a 4 player game?"

Unsure.

I think the easiest thing to not take into consideration for higher player counts is the mixture of the encounter deck. Am I right in thinking that you have Ancient Omens encounter set in there? Some might argue that this might get rough at 4-cards-per-round mythos phases.

I'll give it a play (again, hopefully) at 2-p and that will definitely give me a better perspective. If I do manage to create some TTS assets to play with, are you cool if I link it, or would you prefer it stay off TTS?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Noaloha wrote:
crikeymiles wrote:
I'm just playing the game solo, so it's only been balanced/play-tested with one investigator.

Without any experience myself, anything you'd recommend tweaking to ensure it's still fun for 2+ players?
Immediate thoughts are simply "are there enough clues in the box to support a 4 player game?" :p

Unsure.
For 4-players, you'd have 2x core sets anyway right? Clue tokens for all!

Noaloha wrote:
I'll give it a play (again, hopefully) at 2-p and that will definitely give me a better perspective. If I do manage to create some TTS assets to play with, are you cool if I link it, or would you prefer it stay off TTS?
No issue you putting it up there, as long as you credit (if that's possible). I don't use TTS so wouldn't know how to! :)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Again assuming tomorrow I a) have time and b) can remember how to take card sheets and add to a custom card deck, I will 100% absolutely link to this thread and make mentions in a description.

Do you feel it's playtested enough, or are you still looking for playthrough feedback? I can record my playthrogh with live commentary and private message you the upload so only you can see it if you like? If you're open to it, I can make the video unlisted and drop a clickable link here. I don't want to overstep any boundaries but maybe that 'live' recording is valuable to the designer, or a potential user whose circumstances don't allow them to take part, y'know? Your call.

edit: you say you've been testing solo, which investigators have you tested it with?

Any comments on their chances?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mbmb
Re: The Collector - A Fan-made Core Set Scenario (Print And Play)
Noaloha wrote:
I think the easiest thing to not take into consideration for higher player counts is the mixture of the encounter deck. Am I right in thinking that you have Ancient Omens encounter set in there? Some might argue that this might get rough at 4-cards-per-round mythos phases.
It looks like it's got:

Agents of Yog-Sothoth
Ancient Evils
Chilling Cold
Locked Doors
Striking Fear
Ghouls

That's 27 cards, which is about as much as The Gathering (which also includes Ancient Evils and is pretty easy), so I don't see what the problem is unless you're opposed to Ancient Evils on principle. I believe the point of doom accelerators (ie, Ancient Evils and Dark Cults) is to balance out the expected specialization advantages of multiplayer.

I've got three questions:
1) When does the Forced effect on the Store Room trigger?
2) What exactly happens at Agenda 2b?
3) What happens after Agenda 3b? Normally, the last Agenda of the deck should either include a Resolution (which obviously isn't the intent here) or direct the player to flip it (creating a recurring effect). It kind of feels like there's a fourth Agenda missing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
To Scott's comments:

The ratio was mainly what I was nodding at, as I am of the opinion that Ancient Evils is a really nasty effect when it's included in a low overall quantity encounter deck. As you point out though, the ratios roughly match up to The Gathering quantities, so there's reason enough to assume it's balanced. Coulda actually pushed those numbers myself but didn't; apologies for not and thanks for you doing so.

I agree with your 1). It requires an "After you enter the..." or similar, or further ability if it's a repetitive effect.

The Agendas 2a and 2b both seem pretty concise. Is there an issue that you're calling out?

The Agenda 3B thing sounds to me like flavour hitting the Agenda card where it doesn't belong. I agree that the card needs iunstructions that relate to concrete Rules Ref interactions and, should that result in an investigator being "lost in time and space", this can be dealt with in an ability on Agenda 3b or the R(x) passage of a scenario guide.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Young
United States
Topanga
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for posting!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Much appreciated! Printing tonight!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ddavbro Ddavbro
France
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, I understand.
Thanks anyway!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks really cool. I'll try to play it this weekend if I get the chance.

On a side note, I'm very impressed with the versatility of AH:TCG as a system. The potential seems unlimited.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
Noaloha wrote:
Again assuming tomorrow I a) have time and b) can remember how to take card sheets and add to a custom card deck...

I can knock this out rather quickly and get it posted up to TTS.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
rpickman wrote:
This looks really cool. I'll try to play it this weekend if I get the chance.

On a side note, I'm very impressed with the versatility of AH:TCG as a system. The potential seems unlimited.
I know right!

I write a fair number of unsuccessful solitaire games as a hobby, and this one is fantastic. The act/agenda system really naturally allows for story telling and I already have the next scenario brewing in my note book.

This is really the fame I hoped Mythos, then Arkham Horror, the CoC LGC, would be.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
rsdockery wrote:

I've got three questions:
1) When does the Forced effect on the Store Room trigger?
2) What exactly happens at Agenda 2b?
3) What happens after Agenda 3b? Normally, the last Agenda of the deck should either include a Resolution (which obviously isn't the intent here) or direct the player to flip it (creating a recurring effect). It kind of feels like there's a fourth Agenda missing.
Good questions!

1) Changed to "Forced – After you enter the Store Room ..."
2) I can't see what isn't clear about the text on 2b
3) Yeah.... That's me being lazy (and only playtesting solo!). I have updated Agenda 3b to read:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The lead investigator is lost in time.

An investigator that is lost in time cannot participate in the next 3 games. Mark off the games as they are played.

The Investigators lose.


And also Act 2b to read:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Investigators gain experience equal to the Victory X value of each card in the victory display.
The Investigators win!
Victory 2.


File updated with these changes on the link above.

The only part of the system I don't like is the little scenario booklet. It seems that EVERYTHING could fit on the cards, even the setup and resolutions. I don't see why (other than the leisure of word count) that you should need to look up setup and resolutions in a separate booklet. For now, I'm going to try and keep everything on the cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Darby
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
crikeymiles wrote:

This is really the game I hoped Mythos, then Arkham Horror, the CoC LGC, would be.
I so agree.

The flavour text on the Agenda card is top notch; I feel inspired to print this one! Also, I like it that the number of cards needed to print is small.

Thanks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
crikeymiles wrote:

This is really the game I hoped Mythos, then Arkham Horror, the CoC LGC, would be.
Fifteenth time's the charm.

I have played all of FFG's Arkham Files games, and this is the first time I feel that mechanics and story are integrated just right. I'm glad they were willing to keep tinkering with the formula.

I had not heard of Mythos before, actually... that predates all of this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mbmb
crikeymiles wrote:
2) I can't see what isn't clear about the text on 2b
Sorry; I'd meant "Agenda 3b"; I was asking about getting "lost in time."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
Eager to try this out!

I printed this out and sleeved the cards, but I'm trying to preserve the mystery until I actually get around to playing. One question I have though: I was trying to arrange the locations so the connections make sense (just looking at the unrevealed sides). We have one chain which is self-consistent: Museum Lobby <-> Hall of the Exotic <-> Store Room <-> Curator's Office (though I'm curious to find out why you need to go through a store room to get to an office!).

The other set of locations is slightly confusing to me though.

Museum Lobby leads to Hall of Prehistory or Hall of Antiquity. Hall of Prehistory leads to the other two. So far so good.

But Hall of Antiquity appears to have a one-way connection to Hall of the Exotic. Is this a misprint? I would have expected Hall of Antiquity to lead to Museum Lobby and Hall of Prehistory, assuming each of the passages is two-way.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this tonight.

Excellent writing on the agenda/act cards. Smooth presentation. Thematic selections for the Encounter deck. And it was fun getting seeing our two old friends returning! Overall, a very good use of the resources the core game offers.

I was playing Wendy, who seemed like a good fit for a sneaky sneaky heist. I drew two Offers of Power in a row, chose the Horror both times, and ended up with zero sanity before long.

I look forward to playing more of this scenario, and perhaps (?) eventually even winning it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawk Strike
msg tools
mb
Very cool!

I like that you used the existing encounter cards. I don't sleeve mine so this print and play approach works perfectly for me!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raoul Schaupp
Germany
Karlsbad
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this cool scenario.

Here two small suggestions:

It would be cool to have the cost of going on this sidequest on the scenario card. Because the quest is really hard, I would recommend the cost of 1XP.

And maybe it should be written on Agenda 3b, that you earn all XP in the victory display, even if you lose.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tremblay
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rpickman wrote:
I look forward to playing more of this scenario, and perhaps (?) eventually even winning it.
Played two time with Rolland. First time I lost miserably. Second one was a close call but still was short of only 1 round!

Thanks Mike for this awesome scenario!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |