Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So for Christmas I was gifted a Core Set of Arena, my wife and I played each of the core mages starter spellbooks and immediately purchased a second core set of arena, one of every expansion, including Lost Vol 1 and academy stuff.

I love the Paladin vs Siren cards the most, but we were wondering what ya think the next expansion could be?

I find it odd that from the core they have Defrost traits, yet we have yet to see an ice or cold based Mage. Anyone think we are going to get a frost Mage out of the next expansion?

I'd like to see a Frost Mage vs _____? Giving the frost Mage obvious ice spells and some new animal snow creatures along with maybe some legendary cold based mythological creature like the Wendigo or Yetis. Maybe even instead of having it as a VERSUS box they could just transition to a mini box like the Academy Mage expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brosman
United States
Roanoke
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm almost 100% positive the next expansion will have Frost damage spells in it. It's something we originally meant to have back in Druid vs. Necromancer, but it ended up not fitting with the Mage we were making. However, unless something pretty drastic happens I'd expect Freeze/Frost Damage to be in the next set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Rodriguez
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Seriously, I have a problem...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My money is on the next Mage Wars Arena expansion to be the fairly long awaited alternate male Forcemaster & female Wizard.

Edit: since the lead designer just chimed in that's pretty much the confirmation of Frost that you were hoping for lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alt wizard still allows for a bunch of frost spells. I had been assuming that the next set was going to be another pair of alts. Or another battlegrounds set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really like to see something other then an Alt get freeze/ice/frost damage. It should be an actual cryomancer type Mage, there's a huge opportunity to bring in snow creatures with it as well.

I love that one of the developers actually replies to this forum! Very cool to hear, and exciting to look forward to some cold spells.

I'd like to see a Hemomancer type blood Mage as well, provide a little more leadership to vampire creature and bats and such!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crow
United States
Somecity
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More than anything I would like more Battlegrounds tiles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two Crows wrote:
More than anything I would like more Battlegrounds tiles!

I would have to say that Battlegrounds or Academy were not really something My wife or I have enjoyed. We are also relatively new players to Mage Wars, almost 20 plays, but we really like the Arena board best. We have tried Academy, and the lack of tactical movement has left us going back to Arena, and when we played Battlegrounds it felt like a race to capture VTor Tiles and took away from the core Mage vs Mage mechanics, which left us going back o Arena.

I'd really like them to just focus on be main game, but I respect that different play types are more appealing to each gamer! So I'll know that if they do come out with Battleground Tiles you'll be happy, and hopefully they include some are a cards so I will too!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crow
United States
Somecity
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play 3 or 4 player, and that makes Battlegrounds a VERY important element for us. A traditional game takes us 3 hours or more, whereas we can finish a Battlegrounds game in around 90 minutes.

Without it, we wouldn't play at all.

Strange how big of an impact playtime has as I and my group get older. Around the college years, a 6-hour game was no problem. It's probably having children that really makes the longer stuff unfeasible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two Crows wrote:

Strange how big of an impact playtime has as I and my group get older. Around the college years, a 6-hour game was no problem. It's probably having children that really makes the longer stuff unfeasible.

That is certainly the truth. My wife and I used to have 7-8 hour video/PC game sessions, and then take a break, go downstairs and crack open a board game and have some snacks. That was before my daughter, who is almost 2 years old now, and we game when she goes to bed which provides us roughly 3 hours to game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They mentioned Barbarian vs. Sorcerer as the next major box set a long time ago. Things might have changed. A side expansion that was mentioned was Archmage mode; 1 vs many or campaign style gameplay.

EDIT: google search also has mentions of Illusionist vs. Shaman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crow
United States
Somecity
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordliss wrote:
Two Crows wrote:

That is certainly the truth. My wife and I used to have 7-8 hour video/PC game sessions, and then take a break, go downstairs and crack open a board game and have some snacks. That was before my daughter, who is almost 2 years old now, and we game when she goes to bed which provides us roughly 3 hours to game.

That was me before I was married!

(except that I may or may not have had a few PC games go in excess of 24 hours. In all seriousness, at one point in my 20's, I had a coffee pot on my computer desk )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo Mode...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could imagine seeing a few Frost spells in the Alt-Wizard vs Alt-Forcemaster small-box expansion (similar size to Kumanjaro/Forged in Fire) that might be Air & Water school, since Wizard is likely to be trained in Arcane & Air... but then having LOTS of new Frost damage spells in the Barbarian vs Sorcerer big-box expansion (similar size to all the "new mage vs new mage" expansions). But I have no inside info, so this is purely speculation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
I could imagine seeing a few Frost spells in the Alt-Wizard vs Alt-Forcemaster small-box expansion (similar size to Kumanjaro/Forged in Fire) that might be Air & Water school, since Wizard is likely to be trained in Arcane & Air... but then having LOTS of new Frost damage spells in the Barbarian vs Sorcerer big-box expansion (similar size to all the "new mage vs new mage" expansions). But I have no inside info, so this is purely speculation.

Do we think the Sorcerer or the Barbarian is the mage with Frost damage? I am thinking the Barbarian hails from the Desert region of Etheria which makes me inclined to think the Sorcerer might be the mage with Frost damage as an attack spell from the Dark school or Dark and Arcane. The more traditional approach is to use the water school and add a second damage type similar to the Air school with Wind and Lightening. But this would give access to Frost damage to the Siren which I am not so sure about from a thematic perspective.

In any event it will be fun to finally use the Defrost trait. ☺

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone C.
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still waiting for the promised Archmage cooperative mode...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.