Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I only have 3 more games to play and I will be at 365. But of course I will play way more than 3 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Steffens
United States
Horseheads
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone heard from Cody lately? Haven't seen him around for quite a while, and I wrote to him a couple of days ago with no answer. I know he and Patience have a new little one, but ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NiceGuyMike wrote:
Has anyone heard from Cody lately? Haven't seen him around for quite a while, and I wrote to him a couple of days ago with no answer. I know he and Patience have a new little one, but ...

I wrote to him a few days ago as well and haven't heard back yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TA MN
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
October. Last weekend challenge 27-29 Oct - Cult of the New Challenge

Play newly published games (2016-2017) or games new to you. You can play a game (eg new to you) more then one time, and count all plays.

Level 1: play 2 games
Level 2: play 5 games
Level 3: play 10 games
Level 4: play 15 games
Level 5: play 20 games

Level 1: Play 2 games Braiiiins!- new to me, played twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TA MN
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
October Monthly Challenge - A Decade of Gaming Challenge! (Oct. 1-31)
pawnpusher wrote:
The challenge is to play at least one game from each of the years in one or more decades.

Levels:
1/2 decade (5 consecutive years): Good start
1 decade: Well done!
2 decades: What a score!
3 decades: Trifecta!

2018 - Unpublished Prototype
2017 - Campy Creatures,
2016 - GoRoGo, New Angeles, Tokaido: Matsuri,
2015 - Braiiiins!, Zombicide: Black Plague
2014 -
2013 - Eldritch Horror, Elder Sign: Unseen Forces
2012 - Android: Netrunner
2011 - Elder Sign
2010 -
2009 -
2008 - Ghost Stories

Wow! No 2014! Not even a half decade - I really messed that one up!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate D
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
(Nov 3-5) November 2017 Weekend Challenge #1: The Guy Fawkes Challenge!!!

In the UK this Sunday it's Guy Fawkes Night (AKA Bonfire Night), which we'll be celebrating around the world with our games! We'll be playing games this weekend which feature aspects of this humble celebration. This weekend, play games featuring:

- Fire: campfires, bonfires, lit torches, lanterns, fire-fighting etc.
- Basements or dungeons (Guy Fawkes attempted to blow up the Houses of Parliament by filling the basement with gunpowder)
- Fireworks
- Human effigies or dolls: a 'Guy' is traditionally made to put on the bonfire to represent Guy Fawkes
- Food, particularly the following: (toffee) apples, cake, or (jacket) potatoes
- Anything else you can tangentially relate to Bonfire Night!

Levels

Flickering Flame: 2 plays of games representing Bonfire Night
Started the Fire: 4 plays of games representing Bonfire Night
Roaring Blaze: 6 plays of games representing Bonfire Night
Burnt Effigy: 8 plays of games representing Bonfire Night
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TA MN
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lotsa_Muffins wrote:

- Fire: campfires, bonfires, lit torches, lanterns, fire-fighting etc.
- Basements or dungeons (Guy Fawkes attempted to blow up the Houses of Parliament by filling the basement with gunpowder)
- Fireworks
- Human effigies or dolls: a 'Guy' is traditionally made to put on the bonfire to represent Guy Fawkes
- Food, particularly the following: (toffee) apples, cake, or (jacket) potatoes
- Anything else you can tangentially relate to Bonfire Night!

Kingdom Death: Monster 3 plays of this gorgeous big weird game just loaded with lanterns!
Black Market Warehouse 1 play - I even built an underground warehouse loaded with crates of fireworks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate D
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb

I played 2 rounds of Hanabi, some Guilds of Cadwallon (it has a fire and rioting on the cover), and Agricola (cooked some delicious bread!) for 4 plays in this weekend's challenge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendra Rea
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a HUGE question for anyone who can answer. What is Ameritrash. How are games classified as ameritrash and why??? I've tried making sense of it, but really im clueless. Rahdo says how he and Jen dislike ameritrash games, and i can't seem to figure out what that means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've been able to gather, it seems to be the opposite of what euros claim to be: thematic, a lot of randomness, often direct conflict.

I know that euros are thematic, but they say the theme is not integral to the gameplay in the same way it is with "ameritrash."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Steffens
United States
Horseheads
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schoolmarm5 wrote:
From what I've been able to gather, it seems to be the opposite of what euros claim to be: thematic, a lot of randomness, often direct conflict.

I know that euros are thematic, but they say the theme is not integral to the gameplay in the same way it is with "ameritrash."

I'd agree with that definition. That's perhaps why I tend away from euros (and miniatures games, but that's another story). Theme is way too important to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I like euros. At least, I think some of the games we have are classified as euros. And they all have theme, or I would consider them abstracts. The theme may be "pasted on," but if so, I haven't noticed. Maybe I just don't evaluate games as deeply as other people do. I just immerse myself in the provided setting. If I'm doing cubes or something, I remind myself of what they represent, until I automatically visualize it without thinking.

The only game I can think of that I don't feel the theme is Viceroy. I imagine, if I took the time to imagine what I am supposed to be doing, and how my actions relate to that, I might figure it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Steffens
United States
Horseheads
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do play a few euros, but generally don't prefer them. The most pasted-on theme I can recall recently is Ulm. I had really wanted to play it, but when it was explained to me, I realized that pretty much any theme could have been used and be just as valid for gameplay. It wasn't the game for me, so I apologized and left.

My currently happy-making games are Elder Sign, AFFLICTION: Salem 1692 (which some have called a light euro), and Arkham Horror: The Card Game. I don't particularly agree on AFFLICTION, though, because I think there is some decent amount of luck involved in the draw of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate D
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does someone wanna come up with a weekday challenge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lotsa_Muffins wrote:

Played:
1. The Lost Expedition (fire)

2. Gaia Project (star gazing)

3. This War of Mine: The Board Game (Raw meat, and maybe there was a fire somewhere)

4. Loony Quest (Fire)

5. Roll Player (Apple)

6. Unlock! The Island of Doctor Goorse (Dungeons/tombs)

So, level 3 Roaring Blaze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Steffens
United States
Horseheads
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
Lotsa_Muffins wrote:

Played:
1. The Lost Expedition (fire)

2. Gaia Project (star gazing)

3. This War of Mine: The Board Game (Raw meat, and maybe there was a fire somewhere)

4. Loony Quest (Fire)

5. Roll Player (Apple)

6. Unlock! The Island of Doctor Goorse (Dungeons/tombs)

So, level 3 Roaring Blaze.

How is Roll Player apple?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NiceGuyMike wrote:

How is Roll Player apple?

With Compassionate you give away apple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Steffens
United States
Horseheads
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lotsa_Muffins wrote:

I came up with the monthly challenge. That is as hard as my brain plans to work today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Booker
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NiceGuyMike wrote:
Lotsa_Muffins wrote:

I came up with the monthly challenge. That is as hard as my brain plans to work today.

I think we're too far in to the week to post a weekly challenge... =/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all. I was gone for a few days, but here I am again.

Re: Kendra's question about Ameritrash. I generally think of games with heavy theme (especially relating to an IP) and minis as being more "Ameritrash", but I also think there are a lot of games that fall in the middle of the euro/ameritrash scale and can't really be classified either way.

I personally prefer all types of games, if they are good games! I do tend to like a decent amount of theme, but I've enjoyed many games with "pasted on" themes as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendra Rea
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone played Ex Libris yet? What are you thoughts on it? I pre-ordered this game because well, I love my books almost as much as I love my games. I played it once tonight with my husband. Now this man is KING of breaking games, to the point where I spend hours sometimes trying to find an answer. Well he broke Ex Libris tonight. He broke it so badly that I am really disappointed in the game. Does anyone have any thoughts about this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Steffens
United States
Horseheads
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leftyrea wrote:
Has anyone played Ex Libris yet? What are you thoughts on it? I pre-ordered this game because well, I love my books almost as much as I love my games. I played it once tonight with my husband. Now this man is KING of breaking games, to the point where I spend hours sometimes trying to find an answer. Well he broke Ex Libris tonight. He broke it so badly that I am really disappointed in the game. Does anyone have any thoughts about this game?

Just got it; haven't played it yet. How did he break it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendra Rea
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NiceGuyMike wrote:
Leftyrea wrote:

Just got it; haven't played it yet. How did he break it?

There's practically no need to use any of the locations unless they allow you ability to shelve more than 1 card. I attempted to play the way it was intended. I went to locations, did multiple actions to acquire the cards i wanted while my husband just drew a bunch of cards and then shelved cards. Well his method of drawing a bunch of cards then shelving them worked far better than playing appropriately. He scored more than double the points I did. His thought process was -get 16 cards in hand then play them all in order. There is no hand limit so that made that possible. He ended up with the much bigger library.
It was just upsetting to know that that's how you can win. It takes no skill , no planning, no nothing. Just collect and then play.
I am going to be making a few house rules, like a hand limit for one. I think being forced to make choices is a good thing, and this game really kind of lacks that I feel. There were some other house rules that were listed on the variants page that I am absolutely going to be using as well.

Also my biggest issue with this game aside from the no hand limit, the locations abilities are INCREDIBLY vague. They give a very basic action of what you can do, and then when reading the manual you see that what the card says isn't always how its actually done. We noticed this with a couple cards- the ones that were a bit confusing. We didn't look them all up, because we felt they were self explanatory but i feel that we should have after seeing how different some of them could be..

I have no played solo yet, but i hope it's better than what 2 player was. otherwise ill have to make adjustments to that as well.

And PLEASE. Correct me if I'm wrong on any this after you play! I would LOVE to know your thoughts on how this game works, what methods you used to try to win etc. -This goes for anyone who played this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Taylor
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't help with that, but I've seen people play ticket to ride that way. They just draw cards till they're forced to play or they have the right cards to claim routes every turn. I agree, it takes the fun out of the game, but maybe it's a good strategy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendra Rea
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is very true. i never really thought of ticket to ride like that... i do it to an extent with that game. (Claiming the biggest part of my trails first then doing the smaller parts as i get them... but to me it feels more acceptable in ticket to ride. At least people can see where you train is going and try to sabotage you haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  125 , 126 , 127 , 128 , 129  Next »  [129] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.