Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Walton
United States
Springfield
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best thing to do is not use them. They are trophies just waiting to be collected. Keep them behind your troops that can actually fight and/or evade and protect them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blanchett
United States
St Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two important things to remember about Auxilia.

They hit on swords and cannot evade. This makes them useful against lights, but a liability if stuck near heavies or even mediums...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way to use Auxilia? Wisely. Harass heavier units, and close with lighter units. They're most useful when used in concert with other, heavier units; you know, used in an auxiliary role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I consider Mediums, Warrior and Auxilia roughly equal in strength:

- Medium: 4 dice, Move 1, cannot fire.
- Warrior: 3 dice (4 at full strength), Move 2 (if going into attack), cannot fire.
- Auxilia: 3 dice, move 2 (no attack), may fire

The extra mnovement and firing makes up for the lack of a single die.

Auxilia are useful for their extra movement to plug holes in a line and for the fire capability--try to keep them out of the heat of battle with heavies and mediums, but use them against lights and to knock out solo heavy or medium blacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
come read articles and talk games on therewillbe.games
mbmbmbmbmb
C.H.A.D. wrote:
The best thing to do is not use them. They are trophies just waiting to be collected. Keep them behind your troops that can actually fight and/or evade and protect them.

I don't agree with not use them. But for me, they need to stay back and fill gaps in the line and *not* advance. Then, near the end of the game I use them to come forward. But at the beginning, they need to hold back.

But Auxilia still puzzle me somewhat. I'm closer to C.H.A.D.'s opinion than "they are incredibly useful!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel [working on TENNISmind]
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
badge
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
mbmbmbmbmb
Auxilias on hills keep their full 3 dice strength and can only be attacked with 2 dice. I always use them to defend parts of the field with hills.

Also when a leader evades after his MI has been destroyed, Auxilia are a good replacement unit for him.

And I remember someone saying, in another similar thread, that the best use agains lights was moving 2 hexes till contact with ligths. Even if you cannot attack them (they would have evaded anyway), next turn they will not be able to fire and, if they attack you, you'll be able to battle back with your 3 dice and hitting on swords. So you gain terrain and may force them to fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Auxilia, like battlecruisers, have a wide range of useful tasks and some unique capabilities... but don't stand up well in a line of battle against the big boys.

As such, they are probably the most difficult unit to use well, but that makes them one of the more interesting units too.

And in some scenarios, you really don't have the option to "not use them," since they represent a major portion of your army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wehrenberg
United States
Unspecified
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
while I don't disagree with anything you've said, I don't see why this is any different from what you can use any other troops for. (except heavies, cause they don't move 2).

bestbandis wrote:
There have been a few threads on BGG in which people have wondered how to use auxilia. Here are a few basic ideas, from left of the image to right.

Screening
Use the auxilia's 2 hex movement ability to effectively screen heavier units from missiles. They give up their attack, but the enemy cannot get a shot in.

The double bump off
Even with its evade ability the Roman LB unit is forced to endure two attacks. This one is especially useful in the endgame when the LB is likely to have taken a hit or two. If the LB survives, it is still forced dangerously close to its own baseline, and that's always a good thing.

Pinning
Use the 2 hex movement ability to trap a would-be evader and give the attacking unit a chance to score big with a banner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
sidebar about Auxilia:

I am building out a republican roman army with miniatures and I am on the fence about what minis to use as auxilia.

Scenario 1)
Heavy Infantry: Triarii figures
Medium Infantry: Principes
Auxilia: Hastati
Light Infantry: Velites

The Hastati had a large shield, sword and pilum like the principes, but had only very limited armor (a piece of armor strapped to their chest). Thus, they were more lightly armored, but could still stand and fight as line infantry. This seems to me to represent the functionality of 'auxilia' in command and colors. However, true 'auxilia' in this era were other Italian peoples/ tribes. Therefore my second thought was as follows:

Scenario 2)
Heavy Infantry: Triarii and Principes
Medium Infantry: Hastati
Auxilia: Italian Allies
Light INfantry: Velites

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback. You're right on. I guess it will just depend on what figures I have access to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls