Washington
flag msg tools
badge
North Seattle:
Gary's Games, 8539 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle, WA 98103, (206) 789-8891
http://garysgamesandhobbies.com/main.htm
Berserk Games, 7217 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle, WA 98103, (206) 523-9605
http://www.berserkgames.com/
Fire & Sword Game Center, 540 NE Northgate Way, Seattle, WA 98125, (206) 361-5574
American Eagles Hobby Shop, 12537 Lake City Way NE, Seattle WA 98125, (206) 440-8448

North:
Fantastic Games, 19715 Scriber Lake Rd, Lynnwood, WA 98036, (425) 775-4871
Card Haus, 6713 212th St SW, Lynnwood, WA 98036, (425) 712-1206
http://www.cardhaus.com/ (see events center menu for retail store info)
Avatar Games, 4330 Rucker Ave, Everett WA 98203, (425) 303-9080

Eastside:
Uncles Games, 15600 NE 8th Ave., Suite K10, Bellevue, WA 98008, (425) 746-1539
Uncles Games, 16507 NE 74th St., Redmond, WA 98052, (425) 497-9180
http://www.unclesgames.com/stores.php
Oroboros Games, 16505 Redmond Way, Ste. F, Redmond, WA 98052, (425) 558-9181
Genesis Games & Gizmos, 8912 161st Ave NE, Redmond, WA 98052, (425) 497-9579
Games Plus, 12637 NE Woodinville Dr, Woodinville, WA 98072, (425) 485-7295
http://www.gamespluswa.net/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Also in North Seattle:
Berserk Games, (206) 523-9605, 7217 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle, WA 98103
http://www.berserkgames.com/

Web site for Gary's:
http://garysgamesandhobbies.com/main.htm

Web site for Uncle's:
http://www.unclesgames.com/stores.php

Now how about some reviews, raves, and rants on the stores?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ballinger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
juliedb wrote:
North Seattle:

Game Wizard, (206) 781-4933, 704 NW 65th St, Seattle WA 98117

I thought Game Wizard closed shop. I haven't driven 65th in a while, though, so I could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Buergel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
I thought Game Wizard closed shop. I haven't driven 65th in a while, though, so I could be wrong.

You are sadly correct, they closed their doors a while ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Card Haus is in Lynnwood:

(425) 712-1206
6713 212th St SW
Lynnwood, WA 98036-7325

Fire & Sword Game Center is in Northgate:

(206) 361-5574
540 NE Northgate Way
Seattle, WA 98125-6154

(I'm not sure how much merchandise Fire & Sword is carrying now that they've switched from being a "store" to being a "game center".)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Buergel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:
Now how about some reviews, raves, and rants on the stores?

Gary's Games probably has the best selection in Seattle, with a good selection of recent Euros, wargames, train games, RPGs and a bunch of Bridge supplies. Prices are pretty much MSRP, but there is a games club that gets you a $10 gift certificate for every $100 you spent. If I want to heft a game, or want to browse through an RPG book before I buy it, this is where I go.

Games Plus is the other store that I wind up at with any frequency. They also have a good selection of recent Euros and RPGs, but they don't have the wargames that Gary's does. Friendly staff, and they host some on-site gaming that I haven't made it to yet. Again, prices are pretty much MSRP, and I haven't noticed any discount programs.

Uncle's Games are bright, nice looking stores in malls that are good to kill time at if you find yourself in their area. They have mostly Euros and family games, with a good selection of kids games and a fair number of CCGs. Once again, nice place, but prices are MSRP again.

American Eagles is an odd store - they have a ton of way out of print stuff that they just let sit on the shelves, rotting. They have a bunch of old wargames and out-of-print RPG supplements for dead games, just sitting around, waiting for somebody to buy them. They never seem to lower the price on anything, but you can occasionally find gems there. They do stock some recent wargames from the major publishers like GMT, Clash of Arms, Decision and a few others, but they're for full price. The older wargames are pretty picked over at this point, but it can sometimes be worth a peek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zʇıʍodɹɐʞ uɐp
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
THIS ISN'T HAPPENING
badge
GO HAWKS!!!
mbmbmb
I've bought nearly all my games recently from Cardhaus. Their selection isn't very good, but the prices are right. Before you go check out the in stock items online. They usually don't have much sitting on only a few shelves (it's more a warehouse than a store), but if they have it they can pull it from the back. I've only ever seen the same guy working there, but he's really friendly and seems to know his games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Smith
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More north end shops

Phoenix Games 12926 Mukilteo Speedway #F8, Lynnwood, WA 98087, (425) 353-5584

Family Game Store and Billiards 1402 SE Everett Mall Way #157, Everett, WA 98208, (425) 710-9002
http://www.familygamestoreandbilliards.com/
Selection is limited to Days of Wonder, Avalon Hill & Mayfair games as well as the typical *opoly games, billiard tables, dartboards, etc.

and right next door is
Comic Stop 1402 SE Everett Mall Way #160, Everett, WA 98208, (425) 438-9718
http://www.comicstoponline.com/
Carry some board games - mostly combat based
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also the hopefully upcoming Blue Highway Games, on Queen Anne. They have a website: http://bluehighwaygames.com/default.aspx. 2203 Queen Anne Ave. N.

Unfortunately, no one has responded to my emails, so maybe it won't happen. I talked to the owner one time, his name is Brian, at Third Place Gamers session. He said he is interested in hosting gaming at the store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
juliedb wrote:
Fire & Sword Game Center, 540 NE Northgate Way, Seattle, WA 98125, (206) 361-5574

As of April 2007, Fire & Sword closed shop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
photocurio wrote:
There is also the hopefully upcoming Blue Highway Games, on Queen Anne. They have a website: http://bluehighwaygames.com/default.aspx. 2203 Queen Anne Ave. N.

Unfortunately, no one has responded to my emails, so maybe it won't happen. I talked to the owner one time, his name is Brian, at Third Place Gamers session. He said he is interested in hosting gaming at the store.

Evidently they are now open:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1589656

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilhelm Fitzpatrick
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I was in there yesterday (July 3rd) and it was apparently the first day they had their doors open. Their official "Grand Opening" will be later this month.

As I mentioned on the other thread, their space is very bright and open, and they have a very broad selection on the boardgaming front (from TTR to Powergrid to Europe Engulfed), and lots of space in the back (on two levels) for open gaming. I'm hoping they do well in their avowed mission to promote board gaming to families and the general public.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iken Owens
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
c0yote wrote:
More north end shops

This store has a great selection, and they do an open game night every Wed.

Iken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
krazygit wrote:
c0yote wrote:
More north end shops

This store has a great selection, and they do an open game night every Wed.

Iken

As the organizer of the Wednesday Nights at Phoenix Crowd, I should pipe up, here:

We're not 100% Open. We're technically a private party that rents the facility. We haven't excluded anyone, mind you, and we'd love to have more players. It's just set up this way to cover Brian (who runs the store) in case of a problem.

The invite is open to BGG members - just please send me a GeekMail so I know to expect you.

We tend to play mid-weight and lighter games with a play time of no more than 90 minutes. That way, we can fit in enough games to make the trip worthwhile for our more outlying attendees (I think Mount Vernon is the furthest anyone travels for a game). For an idea of what I've played, check my games played data (which is up-to-date for this year).

Gaming starts when there are people there to game and continues until 11:00 PM.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Stever
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbuergel wrote:
American Eagles is an odd store - they have a ton of way out of print stuff that they just let sit on the shelves, rotting. They have a bunch of old wargames and out-of-print RPG supplements for dead games, just sitting around, waiting for somebody to buy them. They never seem to lower the price on anything, but you can occasionally find gems there. They do stock some recent wargames from the major publishers like GMT, Clash of Arms, Decision and a few others, but they're for full price. The older wargames are pretty picked over at this point, but it can sometimes be worth a peek.

I checked them out today for the first time. For any hardcore wargamer, they have a huge selection of war games that are 10+ years old, along with a lot of Avalanche Games and a few from GMT. For roleplayers, there was just a huge number of modules and books for old systems. JB is correct, they just seem to hold their initial retail price and it seemed like a few items were marked up to reflect "collectibility."

For miniaturists they had the best selection of 1/72 plastic I've ever seen offline, along with lots of micro armor.

It's worth stopping in if you're ever driving down Lakeview.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Stever
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New thread about Blue Highway. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/180934

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy Smoke! Fire and Sword closed!? Kexi le! Shenma huairen fan cuowu le!!?

Checked out the new Queen Anne digs . . . nice! Could not find any terribly violent games (Doom, Ca$h'n'Gun$, but they had a bold diversity regardless. I wish them the best! Hope they get put up on the list soon!

KJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Starcher

Washington
msg tools
Useful updates on local stores.
Fantastic Games (formally Fantastic Games & Toys) moved after a new owner, Sheri Rees, took over. Their new address is:
22617 76th Ave W, (entire first floor)
Edmonds, WA 98026
425-775-4871
www.fantasticgamesandtoys.com

Although in Edmonds officially, they're really more North Seattle because they're just off of 205th.

The cool thing about the 'new' Fantastic Games is that it has six game rooms! The stock level is similar to Gary's Games (although I believe Gary's might have more board games)but unlike Gary's Games, Fantastic Games supports all of the major miniatures games such as Warhammer, 40k, Flames of War, Warmachine/Hordes, etc. as well as an extensive stocking of D&D books.

A store that got missed is Games Plus Too. They're on the Arlington - Marysville border, aka Smokey Point.

17306 Smokey Point Drive, Suite 19
Arlington, WA 98223-4707
(360) 658-1644
www.gamesplustoo.com

This used to be owned by a fellow named Don, but he sold out about 2-3 years ago to Karen Mostella. It's a wide variety store, lots of board games and D&D books, some miniatures and other things.

Two other stores worth mentioning are Eagles Games in Bellingham and Docking Bay 93 in Mount Vernon. I understand that the latter changed hands in May, but I don't know much more than that.

Sadly, the number of stores that carry our kind of specialty games is shrinking locally. I know of a total of six stores that have either gone out of business or changed hands in the last 18 months alone. The general opinion is that a combination of poor management and us trying to save a couple of bucks via the internet has driven them out of business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
c0yote wrote:
More north end shops

Phoenix Games is NOW located at:

11811 Mukilteo Speedway, 110
Mukilteo, WA 98275
(425) 353-5584

It's further down the speedway, with better access to a better variety of food.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett R.
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comic Stop's main location is at:

3333 184th St. SW, Suite G
Lynnwood, WA 98037
http://www.comicstoponline.com/

A comic book store (a very good one), but they have a little corner set aside for board games, which is usually comprised of popular new ones. They will also order you any game that they are able to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Razincka
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Fire & Sword as a "shop" is closed. You can still order there and they run tournaments all the time. Open gaming often as well. Same place, new owner, different focus.

Did some bus planning and the only ones "in reach" for me are Gary's, Berzerk, Fire and Sword, and Blue Highway. Can't stand being on the bus more than an hour and I live on Capitol Hill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Razincka
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Just called Blue Highway and they say they will be closed from August 15th-17th. Its uh...almost September now. Are they still open?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Razincka
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Got through to someone at Blue Highway and the message just needs to be fixed. Still open. Went and visited their store too. Not bad! Its very open, but they have a decent amount of stock. I think Berserk has a bit more stock overall, but Berserk doesn't have as much open space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

They've gone out of business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett R.
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
Quote:

They've gone out of business.

Well, that's certainly a bummer, I was planning on heading over there this weekend...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |