Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Nall
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Sometime in the next 365 days (maybe this week, who knows since we suck at actually planning anything) we are going to do a feature and discuss our grail games... If you want to POTENTIALLY be mentioned, chime in here and tell us what your GRAIL GAMES are. We'd also love details on why a given game is a Grail Game, funny stories you have related to your hunt for the grail, and anything else that may entertain us.

Josh has agreed to take a shot for every time he laughs while reading these, so lets get him snockered!

Thanks for contributing!
b
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I had some grail games. So far I've purchased or been gifted every grail game I had due to my overly generous wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Well Brandon, I must give you my fondest thanks. kiss

This post/thread caused me to go back and look at my list of grail games... to which there is only one left unobtained: Age of Craft. The reason it is a grail game is because it doesn't exist in English (also Japanese games can be nigh-impossible to obtain in America). I fell in love with this after listening to the Garret's Games breakdown of this game. At least it didn't used to exist, and come to find out IT DOES NOW!!! It's called Colony and was recently released by Bezier Games. I wouldn't have found out if you hadn't spurred me to take another look at it. Next paycheck I'm pickin' up this mama-jama.
thumbsup thumbsup

My previous grail games I now own are:
1)Odin's Ravens (second edition). After the kickstarter scam I thought I'd never get my hands on any version of this... but thanks to Osprey games I have a rockin' beautiful edition.
2) Blue Moon City. A BGG trade got me this gem of a modern classic. I've now replaced all the dragon figures that came with it with pre-painted d&d dragon minis. Knizia? Yes! Area control? Yes! Unique theme? Yes! Hand management? Yes! Amazing artwork? Yes! This game hits on all cylinders.
3)Atlantis Rising. My absolute favorite game of all time - until the first edition of Robinson Crusoe there existed no other cooperative worker placement games - and it works brilliantly. I've rarely played a game of this that didn't end with everyone standing around the table in nail-biting suspense, then cheering at their victory or moaning in defeat. My friend who introduced me to this had his own copy, and at the time we played games together a ton. But, we've drifted apart and by the time I realized my chances of playing again were nill, this gem was out-of-print and super-expensive on the secondary market for someone who made as little as I did at the time. My roommate bought this for me as a gift a couple birthdays ago, and it is my most treasured game.

Hmmm... posting something in this to make Josh laugh? Probably won't happen with what I typed above, so how about one of my favorite jokes?

Two hotdogs are roasting in a frying pan. The first looks over at the second and says, "is it hot in here or is it just me?"

The second looks over at the first and says, "OH MY GOD, A TALKING HOTDOG!"

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grail games, huh? Kingdom Death: Monster WAS part of my list, but I have remedied that. To be honest, when I discovered the game, I didn't think I'd ever have the chance to own it...then the 1.5 KS hit about six months later.

I would like Colosseum, and that was another one that found new life on Kickstarter, but I missed it. I assume I will be able to get a retail copy of that at some point.

Memoir '44: Air Pack and Memoir '44: Campaign Book Volume 1. I got my Dad Memoir 44 for Christmas so he and I can spend more time together. Because I can't enjoy anything like a normal person, I started learning more and more about Memoir 44, became a little obsessed, and discovered the OOP stuff which shot to the top of my must have list. I did JUST win the Campaign Book on a BGG auction hosted by a Cabal House member (Robo Jr.), but I still want the Air Pack.

What is Harry Potter's favorite way to get down a hill? Walking.

JK Rolling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would really like to have a nice copy of HeroQuest plus all the expansions. I'm just not willing to pay the market value for it.

A game that doesn't exist, that I would really like to exist? I want a story telling game (like Tales of the Arabian Nights) with a really solid game engine (no, Above & Below isn't a really solid game) with a serious Fallout style setting. Defenders of the Last Stand comes sort of close, but the story telling is a bit weak, and the logistics of the apocalypse are all out of whack (how could last stand still exist when it is next to a giant nuke crater?). I want a game that evokes the feeling I got playing the original Fallout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:
A game that doesn't exist, that I would really like to exist? I want a story telling game (like Tales of the Arabian Nights) with a really solid game engine (no, Above & Below isn't a really solid game) with a serious Fallout style setting. Defenders of the Last Stand comes sort of close, but the story telling is a bit weak, and the logistics of the apocalypse are all out of whack (how could last stand still exist when it is next to a giant nuke crater?). I want a game that evokes the feeling I got playing the original Fallout.

Have you checked out the upcoming Wasteland Express Delivery Service? Probably a bit too light on the story since you're looking for something more like TotAN, but maybe it can scratch that itch just a little bit?

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well prior to the recent Kickstarter it was Kingdom Death: Monster but now that has been remedied! In just 6 - 12 short months KDM will be at my doorstep!

So now...let's see...I suppose an expansive collection of Heroscape is now my grail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Holm
United States
Rio Rancho
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two grail games.

I'd like to obtain a nice copy of Antiquity, millions of bits and all. I almost had one at the BGG.con Flea Market a few years ago, but the asking price was too high. Now I'm thinking maybe it wasn't? Torturous.

The other game I'd like to have for my very own is a nice Crokinole board from the Hilinski brothers up in Canada. Their work is amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is still available, but goes for a decent premium.

Successors (third edition) - The 2008 GMT version. Something I keep an eye out for at reasonable price levels. Those levels haven't arrived yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Hong

Tulsa
Oklahoma
msg tools
islander wrote:
I have two grail games.

I'd like to obtain a nice copy of Antiquity, millions of bits and all. I almost had one at the BGG.con Flea Market a few years ago, but the asking price was too high. Now I'm thinking maybe it wasn't? Torturous.

The other game I'd like to have for my very own is a nice Crokinole board from the Hilinski brothers up in Canada. Their work is amazing.

Hi Chris, good news for you! Antiquity will be reprinted later this year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Hong

Tulsa
Oklahoma
msg tools
One of these days I will get all of the Master Print series from Quined Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:
scottatlaw wrote:

Have you checked out the upcoming Wasteland Express Delivery Service? Probably a bit too light on the story since you're looking for something more like TotAN, but maybe it can scratch that itch just a little bit?

~V

At the bare minimum, I'm wanting it to have as much story as KDM. I want some choose your own ameritrashy goodness. I want the original Fallout as a board game. I want to just start walking out into the wasteland and get into all sorts of weird ass adventures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:
Veero wrote:
scottatlaw wrote:

~V

At the bare minimum, I'm wanting it to have as much story as KDM. I want some choose your own ameritrashy goodness. I want the original Fallout as a board game. I want to just start walking out into the wasteland and get into all sorts of weird ass adventures.

I hope one day that game gets made.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schaab
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
A legacy, open world,or 7th continent game set in the Fallout world would be amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Bengtsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:

Memoir '44: Air Pack and Memoir '44: Campaign Book Volume 1. I got my Dad Memoir 44 for Christmas so he and I can spend more time together. Because I can't enjoy anything like a normal person, I started learning more and more about Memoir 44, became a little obsessed, and discovered the OOP stuff which shot to the top of my must have list. I did JUST win the Campaign Book on a BGG auction hosted by a Cabal House member (Robo Jr.), but I still want the Air Pack.

Happy to see a fellow M'44 fan! :-) I own everything (and the kitchen sink) for this game and two copies of some. Don't play it half as often as I would like but every time it hits the table (usually under 8-player Over Lord scenarios) it is an absolute favourite.

/wolf

Brawling Brothers' Google Plus Community can be found here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Bengtsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My current GrailGame is Abyss... can anyone tell me how a game like this can go out of print so fast and not come back for... what feels like forever... wtf?

Other than that I still want to find a copy of Talisman Dragons because it is the only one of those old expansions I don't own...

/wolf

Brawling Brothers' Google Plus Community can be found here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GhostWolf69 wrote:
My current GrailGame is Abyss... can anyone tell me how a game like this can go out of print so fast and not come back for... what feels like forever... wtf?

Seriously? Abyss is OOP?! I just got one for Black Friday at my FLGS. I guess I'm glad i picked it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Hong

Tulsa
Oklahoma
msg tools
voodoochyl wrote:
GhostWolf69 wrote:

Seriously? Abyss is OOP?! I just got one for Black Friday at my FLGS. I guess I'm glad i picked it up.

Looks like CSI still selling them. http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_search.php?pa=searchOnName&...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Channy
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have been trying to get a copy of Alea versions of Hoity Toity and Mammoth Hunters to finish off my Alea bigbox collection.

Ladies of Troyes is being reprinted so that's one almost off the list (even though the cards back colors don't match the base game).

Playing Wikldcatters this Friday. It may get on the list as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anthony
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking for a reasonably priced copy of Ave Caesar every since I started listening to the Dice Tower and heard Tom raving about it. Not willing to pay $150+ for the crazy prices on eBay/Amazon for a simple racing game. Can't wait until your show so I can play along with shots of whiskey ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My grail game feels silly, but it's Strike. Paying 60 bucks for a 20 dollar game isn't the worst place to be in, but it still feels like throwing money away so I can't bring myself to do it. I got to play this at BGG.CON this year and to my surprise it was some of the most fun I've had throwing dice. It's the ultimate filler, quick to play, easy to teach, consistently entertaining. Good while you're waiting for people to show up, good to cap a night, good to being to a bar, good to play with family, friends, kids, depraved beings, whatever you want! It's got dice chucking, push your luck, dexterity, bling and screwage. I really feel like my collection isn't complete until I get this dumb dice-in-an-arena game on my shelf. Why is it not available?!

Honorable mention to Egizia, why a more dynamic and interesting, version of Tokaido isn't a massive hit with widespread availability, I do not understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forget what I said up above about Heroscape! How could I forgot the pain and anguish I've felt over the years having missed out on Atlantis Rising?? Thanks to
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
for reminding me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freshman
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want Dark Tower now That I have held a copy in my hands.

BUT... I really want the rare Twilight Struggle... The Deluxe that came with the very limited wood box. Its like $499-$1399 on ebay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have suggested that Project Elite may become a Grail game: the developer has said that he has just taken so much flak that he can't put himself through anymore stress producing the line further. It's a great real time strategy game & Tom Vasel said it was his number 1 game of 2016, so I think this has the potential to become a much sort after game, commanding high prices. Get a copy while you can...

I agree with Josh though, one of my favourite Grail games I own is Star Wars Queen's Gambit, but unlike Josh, I have plays it many times. I was lucky enough to bag an unplayed copy for about £200 but in my opinion, it was worth every penny, love it.

Another Grail game I own is Warhammer Quest. I've bought more of the stone archways to link tiles together, I have all the treasure card packs, and have even made my own tiles for the expansions. But like Josh with Queen's Gambit, I've played it once in the last 3/4 years!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Metcalf
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
badge
You must be, or you wouldn’t have come here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now, my grail games would be Civilization + Advanced Civilization. My wife grew up playing this with her father. He has since passed on, but we do not know where his copies are. She would very much like to play this again. So I have been searching for a reasonably priced copy of both.

I know that I could reproduce the games via files graciously created by fans of the game, but there is something about owning a copy of the original that is very satisfying.

I would also love to get a hold of a copy of Caper. I obtained a copy as a child from a garage sale. It was a lot of fun for a roll-and-move. I loved the 3D aspect of the game. Plus the little tools had moving parts (and the wire cutters could actually cut paper). My copy of Caper has disappeared. Now I would love a copy again.

There are also various RPG books and supplements I would like to get that are now out-of-print (ex. L5R 4E books). Those might be grail games for me. But I know that I can get the PDFs for far cheaper than the print copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.