Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General Information
The Toronto No-Ship Math Trade (Spring 2017) is hosted by the Toronto BoardGamers Meetup Group and will be held at 401 Games.

Subscribe to this discussion thread to receive notifications of any changes or announcements during the trade.

If you're planning to stay and play games after the trade, consider RSVPing for the gaming event on Meetup.

When you have read through this post and are ready to submit items to the trade, head over to the Trade Geeklist here.

What is a Math Trade?
Math trades are an opportunity to trade away boardgames (and other geeky items) you don't want anymore and receive new items in exchange. Everything is arranged online in advance so that only items that have successfully traded need to be brought to the physical trade.

If you haven't participated in a math trade before, the following links contain lots of helpful information about the whole process:
......... Math Trade FAQ for Newbies
......... Math Trades for Dummies Thread
......... Math Trade Video Tutorials

Requirements to Participate
Participants are obligated to read and follow all rules in the geeklist, and are required to deliver (or arrange for delivery of) any successfully traded items to the physical trade. There is no cost to participate in the trade or attend the gaming event.

Key Dates and Times:
Item Submissions Open: Monday, March 6
Item Submissions Deadline: Friday March 24 at 9pm
Want Lists Deadline: Tuesday March 28 at 9pm
Results Posting: Tuesday March 28 at 9:30pm
Results Finalized: Wednesday March 29 at noon
Physical Trade: Saturday April 1 at 11:30am at 401 Games

Item Submissions
Items can be added to, edited, and removed from the geeklist during the submission window. There is no risk to adding an item since it can not trade unless a want list is submitted during the next step.

BoardGames are the main purpose of this trade, but VideoGames and RPG items can also be added by linking to their BGG page. Other geeky things can be added using "Outside the Scope of BGG" with altname tags in the item description. Example: +altname+ 2 Player Games Bundle -altname-

Gift Certificates are permitted, but any participant accepting a gift certificate is required to pay a 3% commission fee required by the BGG Terms of Service. For details, see Cash Value Trades in Math Trades.

When posting your item, you are required to fully describe the:
- Version, which can be found on the game's BGG page
- Box condition, including any wear or damage
- Content condition, including any wear or damage or replacement pieces
- Content completion, including insert and any missing pieces

Use the BGG standards linked here for definitions of New, Like New, Very Good, Good, Acceptable, Unacceptable. Participants who misrepresent their items will be responsible for providing a copy of the item as originally described, or providing mutually agreed upon compensation.

Combining multiple games or things into one item might allow you to trade for something more desirable. All items will trade one for one, regardless of how many things are included in those items. When using bundles, sweeteners, or choice of multiple things, clarity is the key, and each thing can be added using the "Insert Geek Link" drop-down in the item description to ensure they show up properly in the OLWLG.

The copies command can be used to indicate that you have multiple copies of the same item, including gift certificates of the same value. To use this, copy and paste this into the item description:
%Options%
Copies: 3
%End%

Things to Remember during the Item Submission Window
The OLWLG is updated manually so it will rarely match the items in the Geeklist during the submission period. Allow up to 24 hours for submitted items to be visible on the OLWLG. You can modify your OLWLG settings if you want to receive notifications when the trade is sync'd.

Keep an eye on your items and respond to any questions accordingly. The OLWLG will let you know if any of your items have unanswered comments.

If you any notice incomplete postings, feel free to ask for more information about the version or condition of the item. It is advisable to avoid adding items to your want list if the description is incomplete.

Edits can be made to your items only during the item submission period. Any changes should be clearly identified by adding an "Edit:" note at the bottom of the description listing the date and nature of the change.

If you have decided not to trade something, delete that item.

Want Lists
Want lists must be created and submitted through the OLWLG. To use this site, you must log in by linking it to your BGG account.

Working on your want list during the submission window is highly encouraged since it can take a long time to go through the items and decide what trades you're willing to make. Want lists may be edited and submitted any number of times during the want list submission period. Double check your want list and all of the item descriptions. Nothing is final until you submit your want lists and the the want list deadline has passed.

Valuing the items in a trade is one of the hardest parts of the whole process, and something that long time traders still struggle with. Spielboy.com provides historical information of BGG marketplace transactions which can help gauge the value of used games. The trade software prioritizes making the most number of trades possible, so the most desirable items will go to the pickiest participants. But being picky on your want list means that you are less likely to trade your items. Generally, for each of your offered items, you are most likely to receive the least valuable item included on your want list, so make sure each check box represents a trade that you would be happy to make. Overall, about 30% of the items submitted will successfully trade.

Duplicate protection allows you to specify that you don't want to receive more than one copy of a particular item. This is one of the more confusing aspects of the trading process, but understanding it might save you a lot of trade disappointment. When you activate it, the OLWLG adds fake items to your want list as a way of grouping the duplicate items together. This image is fantastic at explaining the different parts of duplicate protection.

The OLWLG will notify you if any changes are made to items that are on your want list. You can view and accept those changes if you are still interested in that item.

There are a number of different buttons that need to be clicked before your want list is actually submitted. A geekmail message itemizing your wants will be sent when your submission is confirmed.

Trade Results
The trade results will be posted to the OLWLG within half an hour of the want list deadline. At this point, new links will appear on the OLWLG home page allowing you to view the results summary, all the original want lists, which items were offered for your items, and other fun statistics.

Participants should review the results and advise the organizer of any concerns as soon as possible. In the unlikely event of rules breaches or technical errors, the want lists of the affected items or users will be removed and the trade will be rerun and new results posted. If there are no concerns with the trade results, they will be finalized by noon of the following day.

Preparing for the Physical Trade
Double check the description of your successfully traded items. The results summary will only show the main item or altname tag, so you must remember which of your items included sweeteners or expansions.

Label each of your successfully traded games with a no-residue post-it note or painter's tape identifying the BGG username of the person receiving your item and your BGG username.

Double check the description of the games you will be receiving. Bringing a print-out or write-up of the item description(s) will help identify any potential issues quickly.

Trade proposals can be created through BGG in order to track your trades and receive trade feedback. This step is required in shipping trades since it is how you communicate your shipping address and status, but is optional in no-ship trades. Accept any trade proposals received that match the finalized results summary and provide trade feedback for those users after the trade.

The Physical Trade
When: Saturday April 1, 2017 at 11:30am
Where: 401 Games, 518 Yonge St, Toronto, ON M4Y 1X9

It usually takes about half an hour for all items to be checked in and sorted by the organizer and volunteers. Once all items are received, participants have a chance to quickly check that all their new items are present and advise the organizers of any immediate concerns. Once any immediate issues are resolved, participants may pack up and leave with their new games.

If you do not arrive before noon, and the participant(s) receiving your item(s) has to leave, they will be given your games and you will be responsible for coordinating with them directly.

Concerns about your New Games
Most participants are very careful about checking the components and condition of their games, and accurately posting their items, but it is possible that you receive an item that is not in the condition described. In these rare cases, identifying the concern early is important since it is hard to establish when damage occurred or when components went missing once games leave the trade.

If the concern is noticed on-site, advise the trade organizer immediately to allow a discussion with the provider before they leave the trade.

If the concern isn't noticed until after the trade, contact the original owner directly to resolve the concern. If you are not satisfied after trying to resolve the issue directly, contact the trade organizer.

Communications and Questions
Feel free to post here or send me a geekmail message if you have any questions, suggestions, comments, or concerns about the trade or items. The community is full of helpful people and posting here will often result in a quicker, though unofficial, response than sending me a message.

Thank you for participating and happy trading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Re: BoardGame Bash & Math Trade (Spring 2017)
Thanks for organizing again, Sara! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaraCV wrote:

When: Saturday April 1, 2017

No joke right?!?!?!?

Looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Veillet
Canada
Boucherville
Qu├ębec, Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah... I might be able to be there this time :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ana
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
googoo _ I am looking for Dominare. _ googoo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first post in this discussion thread has been updated to include all the helpful information and links that used to be in the geeklist header. This has been done in an attempt to reduce the size of the geeklist header, which now only contains the rules which would result in an item and/or participant being removed from the trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed it says it's only for the attendees of the Meet up group. So, I'm assuming that means if we're not able to join this group and attend we will not be able to participate in the math trade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
I just noticed it says it's only for the attendees of the Meet up group. So, I'm assuming that means if we're not able to join this group and attend we will not be able to participate in the math trade?

Not at all! Anyone may participate - though I do support joining the meetup group and playing games with us, it's certainly not mandatory. I'll look at the wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Thanks for clearing that up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The geeklist is now open for submissions.

I will do the normal circuit of trade announcements within the next couple days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nooooooo! My daughter is having her birthday party on the 1st! Poo. Maybe next time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Brodeur
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FreezenFire wrote:
Nooooooo! My daughter is having her birthday party on the 1st! Poo. Maybe next time...

You can ask if someone else would like to carry your trades. A lot of people help each others in this community. I would gladly help you but I'm from Montreal and someone else is taking care of my trades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Herr in der Junction!
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, quite exciting... even though I'll be checking this list now 25 days in a row...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Tank
Canada
Milton
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't be able to make it on April 1st. Is there anyone in Milton (or surrounding area) that can help me out and drop off/pick up if I get a trade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PahToots wrote:
Not sure but I have a feeling there should be some sort of template to follow when describing games? The lack of description on some of the entries is pretty bad...

The first rule of the trade is "Item Descriptions must include the version, box condition, and content condition/completion." but there is no possible template that applies to every item. For example, there is no need to describe content completion or box condition if the game is new. There is no need to specify the version if there is only one version.

I try to go through the items and request additional information where it's needed, but I also expect participants to be asking those questions about the games they are interested in if they don't think sufficient information is provided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Korea
Canada
Richmond Hill
Ontario
flag msg tools
TorontoGamer wrote:
Thanks, quite exciting... even though I'll be checking this list now 25 days in a row...

these mathtrades kill my work productivity!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
kidkorea wrote:
TorontoGamer wrote:

these mathtrades kill my work productivity!

I should unsubscribe from the list (except for my items)... but I just can't laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Herr in der Junction!
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG is blocked on the work computer. It's killing my data plan...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TorontoGamer wrote:
BGG is blocked on the work computer. It's killing my data plan...

Have you tried going by direct IP address?
https://72.233.16.130/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would more than likely be content filtering, not just blocking based on DNS hits. Circumnavigating the firewall (by IP, or proxies) will tend to raise alarms. Guest wireless at work, neighbouring companies, cafes, etc... ? Don't lose your job over it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Boyko
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for the following games:

Thunder Alley
Junk Art
Iki
Zendo
Java
Las Vegas
Quirks
Roborally (first or second edition only with unpainted figures)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutfi Nahin
msg tools
Hello Sara i added my trade items but when i log in to OLWG my items are not showing up. Would you be able to tell why?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
They have to be added manually, so they do not appear immediately They will be there once Sara has a chance to update the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto, Ontario
flag msg tools
Sorry where on the BGG game page does it list the version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blaze10 wrote:
Hello Sara i added my trade items but when i log in to OLWG my items are not showing up. Would you be able to tell why?

Thanks

The first post in this thread answers your question, and many others. Please read it, especially if you are new to my trades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.