• [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, there's not much here at this point in time. Certainly not anything with any selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are willing to drive to Kalamazoo or Battle Creek there are a couple stores. Links found here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/196

Fanfare's website is mostly comic related but they have a ton of games, I'd guesstimate maybe a 1/3 of the store or so - that includes RPGs. They typically have most common Euros in stock.

I haven't been to Titan Games in BC but it looks cool!
Cheers,
Van
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll vouch for Titan Games. They are friendly, helpful, and have a good selection of out of print stuff.

-Aaron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Miller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Titan Games are great, I unloaded a bunch of RPG stuff and used the trade credit to some really nice games.

If a person was looking for Settlers, Munchkin, or Carcassonne they can be found at White Cap Comics. A comic and RPG game shop. They don't have much of a board game selection. I only purchase RPGs from them.

Bruce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only game store I generally spend money at locally (that means the West Michigan area in general) is Fanfare.

They have a decent selection (including most major new releases), can get most anything else within a week, and offer a flat 20% off retail, which makes the price comparable to buying online.

I've shopped at the store for years, and never had a single complaint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a few in Lansing/East Lansing (21st Century Comics/Games hosts a local boardgaming group even), which you could make in maybe just under an hour doing 80 on M-6 and/or 96 depending on exactly where in GR you're at.

Not ideal, but at least doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Bouman
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
Good stuff. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a newer gamer. I stopped at White Cap Comics today on West Shore drive. I thought they had a good selection, many of the games I see discussed here on BGG were in stock. The only other FLGS I've been in was Ryders and I was not impressed when I went there last November. Ryder's prices were full MSRP and their selection was not very big. Prices weren't bad at White cap comics. Both games I went looking for they had in stock. I paid $20 for Catan the card game and $25 for Carcassone which when you figure in shipping thats as good or better than what I would pay online. The guy running the store was really nice and full of information. They also have a gamer club you can join for $5 (for a lifetime) that gets you a $15 store credit everytime you spend $100 within a 6 month period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Vawter
United States
Walled Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heres a hint about Gamesworkshop. One of the former managers at our local branch loosened his tongue over a few drinks one night and spilled some beans.

GW is cracking down harsh on independent dealers. They want to increase profits (Dont we all) and are pressuring the indies to drop any discounts. Basically you sell for what GW wants to sell it for or you don't sell their goods at all. Its a minimum 20% markup up to 50% on some select products on what the indies get for wholesale. No more undercutting the official stores, or mailorder. Most of the indies around our area have given up on GW and are liquidating their products like crazy. Any reader of WD notice how they are pushing for new retailers like never before? Coincidence? I think not!! Market share is a premium and LOTR did not pan out the way they hoped. Expect more updates, and more useless older models. Out with the old, and in with the new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Miller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A store on East Paris sells primarily toys, but it does carry some Rio Grande, Mayfair, and Out of the Box Games. It is called Creative Learning Toys, the website is found here:

http://www.creativelearningtoys.com/welcome.htm.

The games are at retail price, but if you sign up for email email updates they send coupons regularly for 10% off. I was able to find a copy of Qwirkle here for my wife' Christmas gift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cypar7 wrote:
A store on East Paris sells primarily toys, but it does carry some Rio Grande, Mayfair, and Out of the Box Games. It is called Creative Learning Toys, the website is found here:

http://www.creativelearningtoys.com/welcome.htm.

The games are at retail price, but if you sign up for email email updates they send coupons regularly for 10% off. I was able to find a copy of Qwirkle here for my wife' Christmas gift.
Creative Learning is closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Loviska

Zeeland
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to venture the drive Out of the Box in Zeeland http://www.ootbgames.com/ has a ton of games in stock. I'd say any euro that has some buzz on this site, and a lot of other games I haven't even heard of. They also have a ton of games that you can play in store to try it out before you buy it. The owner usually sets up boardgame nights on Thursdays and Saturdays, again if you want to drive out this way, and he's really knowledgeable and nice. The only downside is that it's pretty much all MSRP, but they do have a free loyalty card which will get you some money back after spending a certain amount. It's my favorite store in the area, and worth a look if you can take the drive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert pion
United States
grand rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
Have completed the 3D Chess Game with 88 pieces and 3 Plexiglass playing boards. Please come check it out and give me some feedback on this string or drop a word on my website, or just email me. I have posted the rules. If anyone is interested, I would be glad to figure out a way to give a copy of my board game to you, for an in depth trouble shooting/review of the playability/problems.
Please check out my website!
http://robpion.webs.com
email: rcp246@yahoo.com

I live in the Grand Rapids Area
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is not Depeche but rather
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joemamma44 wrote:
If you want to venture the drive Out of the Box in Zeeland http://www.ootbgames.com/ has a ton of games in stock. I'd say any euro that has some buzz on this site, and a lot of other games I haven't even heard of. They also have a ton of games that you can play in store to try it out before you buy it. The owner usually sets up boardgame nights on Thursdays and Saturdays, again if you want to drive out this way, and he's really knowledgeable and nice. The only downside is that it's pretty much all MSRP, but they do have a free loyalty card which will get you some money back after spending a certain amount. It's my favorite store in the area, and worth a look if you can take the drive.
White Cap Comics is much closer and also has a very good selection. The facility isn't anything to brag about, but they also offer a punch card program.

http://whitecapcomics.com/info.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G.
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this thread is still active, but I thought I should add Out of the Box Games and Puzzles in Zeeland, MI. Great selection, lots of gaming space, game library, and knowledgeable owner.

www.ootbgames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MidLifeDelta wrote:
Not sure if this thread is still active, but I thought I should add Out of the Box Games and Puzzles in Zeeland, MI. Great selection, lots of gaming space, game library, and knowledgeable owner.

www.ootbgames.com

Still the creme de la creme, so bump-ih-de-bump.

Saw a fun, small offering at GrandLan on Division and Fountain in downtown. And I think the new place, Big Kid Games, near Plainfield and Four Mile Road (3661 Plainfield) has said it has some for sale - rent for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a Grand Rapids board game group that meets and Barnes & Noble in the Woodland Mall. There is another toy and game store in that mall across from the sports memorbilia store, but no play space.

OOTB games is a great game store in Zeeland, MI. Get on their mailing list for game nights, which are once a week plus special events. They are very family friendly, and have a consignment program which means there are good OOP games there as well as new releases.

There is also Exceslior Comics and Games in Greenville, MI. Thursday night is open board games, but there is usually someone always there to play games with. (This is my local store). They have collectible games (heroclix and MTG) as well as board games, and a goodly amount of RPGs.

In Lowell, there is Rookies. No open gaming space in the store (they run events at a local pizza place) but they carry a good selection of board games. They only seem to do MTG and heroclix events, though.

Those are the ones of which I know.

LOOK into GRAB (Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers) Also, GrandCON is coming next year (A gaming con, run by the crew that runs the B&N gaming group).

UPDATE Oh wow, sorry I didn't realize this was a Necro'd thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
GrandLAN is actually the store that got me into board games other than the traditional Life and Monopoly games. My friends and I stopped in there one day to kill some time and play some PC games. We were chatting with one of the employees who asked us if we wanted to play a game of Settlers of Catan with her. None of us had even heard of it, but she was cute so we decided to give it a try. Two of us bought a copy of it that day and it's been one of my favorite games ever since.

They don't have a big selection of board games, but it's a great place to go and play. Back when I lived in Grand Rapids, they had a board game night once a week. I'm not sure if they still do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Grochocinski
United States
Des Plaines
Illinois
flag msg tools
"Standing by..."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also here to vouch for Out Of The Box in Zeeland, MI. They have tons of stock and regular game nights that are open to anyone. Super friendly staff and very knowledgeable. Best place in the area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Van Koevering
United States
Hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
MattyGroch wrote:
I'm also here to vouch for Out Of The Box in Zeeland, MI. They have tons of stock and regular game nights that are open to anyone. Super friendly staff and very knowledgeable. Best place in the area.

I'll also vouch for Out of the Box.

The staff is super friendly, their game nights usually have plenty of people playing a good variety of stuff, and their selection is very good. The store is in a very conservative and religious area, so certain games are kept in the back and not displayed. Game art that features pentagrams and the like seem to usually kept captive back there. So if you don't see something, definitely ask the employees there if they have it in stock yet.

They have a membership program as well. It's normally 50 bucks a year, which grants you 20% off all purchases, and 2 free game rentals a month. Supposedly your discount increases each full year you are a member, but I am not aware of how much it increases by or what the cap is on that.

I just got an email this week about a membership drive going on until April 30th. During this time, if you spend $150, you will get 20% off the initial purchase as well, and the membership fee will be waved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G.
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vankoevk wrote:
They have a membership program as well. It's normally 50 bucks a year, which grants you 20% off all purchases, and 2 free game rentals a month. Supposedly your discount increases each full year you are a member, but I am not aware of how much it increases by or what the cap is on that.

I believe one's discount is pegged to the cumulative amount one has spent (lifetime) in the store, as long as you renew your membership annually. I've heard rumor of people who have spent enough there to qualify for 29% off. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
The Gaming Annex in Muskegon
badge
The Muskegon Area Gamers
mbmbmbmbmb
MidLifeDelta wrote:
vankoevk wrote:

I believe one's discount is pegged to the cumulative amount one has spent (lifetime) in the store, as long as you renew your membership annually. I've heard rumor of people who have spent enough there to qualify for 29% off. whistle

Myself and Brian Lenz are at 30%. It's a race to get to 31%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G.
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
halbower wrote:
MidLifeDelta wrote:
vankoevk wrote:

I believe one's discount is pegged to the cumulative amount one has spent (lifetime) in the store, as long as you renew your membership annually. I've heard rumor of people who have spent enough there to qualify for 29% off. :whistle:

Yeah, I can't keep up with you fellas! Keep supporting the store! It's a great local gaming resource!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
The Gaming Annex in Muskegon
badge
The Muskegon Area Gamers
mbmbmbmbmb
MidLifeDelta wrote:
halbower wrote:
MidLifeDelta wrote:
vankoevk wrote:

Yeah, I can't keep up with you fellas! Keep supporting the store! It's a great local gaming resource!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls