Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Cleveland
United States
Lewiston
ME
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm planning on getting Ogre in some form or other, but I'm not sure what I should be hunting down. I completely missed the kickstarter. Should I just get the 6th ed. and pick up expansions as they come out, or should I try to hunt down a copy of the ODE? Are they planning on releasing the contents of the ODE gradually via expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogre Sixth Edition will be expanded by Ogre Reinforcements, coming out in March, which adds more units and overlays. Ogre Battlefields is coming out later this year, and adds even more content. We're planning on continuing support for Ogre Sixth Edition going forward, so even if you missed ODE, you'll have a lot of content to draw from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
92 8 13 10/19/89
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are sure that you want a bunch of Ogre stuff, ODE at anything approaching MSRP ($100) is going to be cheaper than assembling by piece-parts.

Among other avenues, look into auctions / trades / flea markets at nearby conventions, which might give you an avenue to pick one up without dealing with the shipping costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

To say nothing of Shockwave.

6E is great, and you can add the rest of the content as time goes on. This is probably a great route if you want to support your FLGS and contain your game in normal size boxes. But it will be a while before you have all the stuff in DE.

If you don't mind a single Norse-epic sized box and can find DE at a good price, that will get you a lot more stuff. It's Ogre, G.E.V., [/thing, some of [thing=12482], and some other stuff.

All things considered, there's no bad way to go here. It's one of those cases that seems like a dilemma because the answers are both equally good. You'll be very happy either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me it depends on my monthly budget. I love my ODE6. It has tons of stuff, building, maps, different troops, etc. Plus for a reasonable you can still add many of the counters, even from BGG.

The 6E is also great, but it is more like the original Ogre. A single map, that, if you wish you can begin adding units and expansions to over time. But the entry is somewhat lower.

Dollar for dollar the ODE, IMHO, is a better value for the tons of stuff they put in the box.

Still... I may end up with 6E simply because it is more portable. But at home. I have ODE6, with all of the extra counters, several GEV maps and I'm ready for either a battle or a war gurrr angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cleveland
United States
Lewiston
ME
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the input. I have a buddy who is willing to part with his ODE, but I moved away a few years ago, and shipping would be $40-$70 all by itself. That seems a bit much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H.
United States
Schertz
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got ODE and decided to pick up 6E exactly for the portability mentioned above. I'll take my ODE out at the house, but if there's an event at a store or meeting some players, that 6E set is going to be far easier to deal with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always grab 6E now, since it is in print and readily available, while keeping your eyes open for a bargain on ODE in the future. Play the heck out of 6E, and while doing so decide if getting ODE is worthwhile. Then of course get the additional Ogre releases as they come out.

As others have noted, some of the KS add-on sheets can be had at SJG own Warehouse 23 sales site (Uncommon Ogres, Nightfall [counters only]).

Additionally, you can get the counters and green maps from SJG for ODE as well, $90 for the pair plus shipping.

http://www.warehouse23.com/products/ogre-designers-edition-e...

http://www.warehouse23.com/products/ogre-giant-battlefield-s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
You could always grab 6E now, since it is in print and readily available, while keeping your eyes open for a bargain on ODE in the future. Play the heck out of 6E, and while doing so decide if getting ODE is worthwhile. Then of course get the additional Ogre releases as they come out.

As others have noted, some of the KS add-on sheets can be had at SJG own Warehouse 23 sales site (Uncommon Ogres, Nightfall [counters only]).

Additionally, you can get the counters and green maps from SJG for ODE as well, $90 for the pair plus shipping.

http://www.warehouse23.com/products/ogre-designers-edition-e...

http://www.warehouse23.com/products/ogre-giant-battlefield-s...

True but for $90USD getting O6DE is a much better buy for the storage, rules, etc. Of course if you have the space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I gave away my KS O6DE when I moved to a much smaller place. I picked up 6E because I can manage the space it takes up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paranoydandroyd wrote:
Should I just get the 6th ed. and pick up expansions as they come out, or should I try to hunt down a copy of the ODE?

How fast do you want it, and how much are you willing to pay?

If you want it ALL now, and you're willing to pay a BIG premium, then you should get ODE now.

If you don't want all of it, or want to spread the payments out, get 6E and pick things up as the come along.

Personally, I'd just get the ODE maps and minis sets. I think that's like $120 + S&H, assuming they're not sold out...
____

ETA - I wonder if I can just get the 6E box, empty, for transportation purposes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jakecarol wrote:
Yeah, I gave away my KS O6DE when I moved to a much smaller place. I picked up 6E because I can manage the space it takes up.

I just sold my extra copy to cover cost and freight. Now I'm seeing them on Amazon for 400 an 500 USD.

But there's one on ebay for $160, that doesn't sound too bad.

There is a few on ebay, I wouldn't pay what they're asking on Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Followup!

I dug out my copy of ODE to play this weekend, inspired by the 6E launch. As a game, ODE is pretty awful. The counter mix is really terrible (unless you *really* like terrain overlays). While there are a LOT of PotSM-like Ogres, they are cartoonish and fiddy and fragile. And the PE are extremely limited by an unbelievably poor selection conventional forces (i.e. 16 Howitzers vs 4 Superheavies). It's far to bulky and heavy (28 lbs!) to take anywhere.

That said, you should probably get ODE if any of the following apply:
1. you really like the 2.5D Ogres and CPs and towers,
2. you really like terrain overlays,
3. you really need the KS exclusive counter sheets.

Otherwise, if you're an Ogre fan, 6E is nice enough. It's portable, and I assume someone has taken a good look at the counter mix so it's actually playable.

However, if you want to play modern (i.e. post-Zombicide) style, with the various toys from GEV, Shockwave and the Ogre Reinforcement Pack, the best solution really is to buy the maps and the new Ogre Miniatures Sets as the come out. The plastic 3-D models will look dramatically better, and the miniatures mix will be (somewhat) more sensible.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had never played OGRE, saw one of these at my FLGS, and knew there was no way it wouldn't be a worthwhile and/or profitable purchase. Much like the War of the Ring Collector's Edition, the ODE is just ludicrous.

Haven't gotten hardly any of it built yet though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Trunz
Switzerland
Degersheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really, really wish I had less of this in a smaller box. I have the kickstarter version. It's just too big and too much for such a simple game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Neither. Ogre is a microgame (actually the quintessential microgame) so that's the format I favour. Find a copy of the pocket edition:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrauGeist wrote:
It's far too bulky and heavy (28 lbs!) to take anywhere.

Here's my story:

I always wanted to play Ogre as a kid.

As an adult, 20+ years later, I backed the this-sounds-awesome Ogre DE Kickstarter.

The box eventually arrived, I assembled everything, and put it the only place it could fit - a downstairs shelf.

Unfortunately, my gaming space is *upstairs*. So until I construct an elevator or an elephant-sized dumbwaiter ODE will never get played. Cuz I'm not moving that box upstairs by myself (vertebrae damage!), and even if I did there's not enough floorspace to put the darn thing.

In retrospect, I should have either purchased the baggie version for $2.95 or waited for the "sanity sized" version. In fact, the latest edition is only $27.99 right now at CSI. Grab it while it's hot...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually played a ton of Ogre way back when, still have my pocket boxes. Started playing Ogre Minis when the Deluxe sets came out.

I totally get where you're coming from with the lifting and carrying. I'm kinda surprised we haven't heard of someone getting a hernia or throwing their back while lifting that that thing.

OTOH, maybe just take what you "need" and bring that small fraction upstairs to play with?

I'm still geeked for the new Ogre Minis in plastic. Soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I put the subset of ODE necessary to play base Ogre in a separate box to bring to gaming nights outside my house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Geoff. Except I also include the GEV board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desert Scribe
msg tools
I bring the large paper maps from Deluxe Ogre and Deluxe GEV in a large envelope with the rules along with the Ogre Designer's Edition Classic counters in a Plano storage box:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.