Popular Tags: [View All]
Susan Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: This was an early review copy that we were playing. The Mayfair edition isn't out yet at the time of this writing.

Despite Phalanx’s shaky track record with me and the tired, old theme of acquiring, storing and shipping goods, I found my first playing of Before the Wind to be completely engrossing and tense. The game appears to have many subtle tactics with timing being crucial. The mechanism by which players choose actions is very clever, and the whole game is very interactive. You have to constantly watch your opponents and try to keep track of what they have hidden in their hand. Many of the decisions you make have to be balanced between what you want to do versus what you may allow your opponents to do. There are lots of chances for clever plays and the fact that some of them will hose your opponents makes it especially satisfying. I burned quite a few brain cells trying to be vigilant. The game does have some lucky elements but the luck certainly does not dominate. There was very little down time in our game and the 75 minutes (exactly what is stated on the box!) flew by quickly. Excellent, excellent stuff! I look forward to playing this one again and writing a comprehensive review very soon.

I started out slowly and was unable to ship anything in the first round. All the lovely apples in my hand and my warehouse spoiled. The second round was fabulous though, and I was able fill multiple ships with one action. This left my warehouse empty for the third round and I started building up for a hopefully good fourth round. I was really frustrated because I had numerous opportunities to place two spices from my hand into my warehouse and I had a special card that would keep them from spoiling. I was hoping to carry then into the next round. However, both Paul and Ed each had the special card that would allow them to exchange a good from their warehouse with one in another player’s warehouse. They both desperately needed spice so I didn’t dare put mine out. It didn’t matter. Ed was able to fill a ship anyway and get the 50 points needed to win and end the game. Paul and I were both taken off guard. The hidden victory points are yet another thing you have to watch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
how did this compare to Age of Discovery? Looks much more fine tuned? How did you get the advance copy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Franke
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Wade,

First, I do think that Age is well polished - I really like that game.

However, having played Before the Wind recently a few times, I´d say that it is a far deeper game. The mechanics are totally different but to my mind Before the Wind is a gamer´s game while Age is a family type game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
What would you say are the similarities and differences in game play and interaction with "Puerto Rico"? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Franke
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
It is very difficult to compare Before the Wind to Puerto Rico. BtW is faster and uses totally different mechanics.

In my opinion 3 mechanics make BtW outstanding:

The decision to keep a card or to sell it (having an action or taking the money (and, how much money?).
Determining which card types are to be used in the current game turn (by the starting player).
The timing aspect - after a while the remaining fleet leaves the port and your valuable goods cards may be worth nothing anymore (rotting away).

By the way, Puerto Rico is excellent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hagemann

myhometown
nottheus
msg tools
mb
Hi Wade,

if you like to know "how did this compare to Age of Discovery?", just look at
http://boredgamegeeks.blogspot.com/2007/07/mechanics-trumps-...

There is an interesting comparision of the two games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hackman wrote:
Hi Wade,

if you like to know "how did this compare to Age of Discovery?", just look at
http://boredgamegeeks.blogspot.com/2007/07/mechanics-trumps-...

There is an interesting comparision of the two games.

In your comparison, you say:

Quote:
This triggers an auction, and the other players get the option of making a one-time offer on the card. Travis may sell the card to whomever he chooses based on their offer. But if he wants to keep the card, Travis must pay the guy who triggered the auction the same amount of gold that he offered.

This is incorrect. If Travis wishes to keep the card, he may pay whomever he chooses based on their offer. It need not be the person who triggered the auction, and it need not be the lowest value offered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.