Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the continuation of our game via VASSAL. I am playing the Central Powers, Lionel is playing the Allies. See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/168798 for the Turn 1 report...

(My comments in italics.)

Turn 2

Mandated Offense Phase:
Central Powers roll a 1, for AH (again).
Allies roll a 1, for FR (again).

Action Phase:
CP Action 1: GE Reinforcements - GE 10th army and 2 corps. (GE 10th created in Breslau.)

AP Action 1: BR Reinforcements - BR 1st army and 1 corps. (BR 1st created in London. AP War Status moves to 1, combined War Status now 5.

CP Action 2: Race to the Sea card played as 3 ops.
Breslau, Tarnapol, and Munkacs activated to move.
The GE 5th moves from Breslau to Lodz.
The GE 10th moves from Breslau to Plock.
The AH 2nd moves from Munkacs to Lutsk, and besieges.
Then the AH corps in Tarnapol does something dastardly: By moving to Kamenets-Podolski, the RU 8th army and its support corps in Czernowitz are put out of supply!

(Thus initiating a belated - and very slow tempo - dance of death. At the time, I thought it was a good move - but as we will soon see, the dance would turn against me...)

AP Action 2: Russian Reinforcements - 2 corps Card played as 2 ops.
Belgrade and Lublin activated for attack.
Serbian 1st army in Belgrade attacking AH corps in Timisvar.
On the 2 col of the Army table, die roll is a 4 for two loss factors. Destroys the corps, which has no effective counter attack. SB 1st does not advance.

The Russian 5th army attacks the AH 2nd that is besieging Lutsk. Rolling on the 3 Army column, gets a 2, for two loss factors, flipping the AH 2nd.
The AH 2nd attacking back (also on the 3 column) rolls a 4 for three LF, flipping the RU 5th. (The AP "lost" the battle, since it inflicted smaller LF - so no retreat/advance and the siege continues.)

CP Action 3: Severe Weather card played as 2 ops.
Strausberg (on the western front) and Sarajevo activated for movement.
The AH 6th army moves from Sarajevo to Timisvar (a bit belatedly...)
And a GE corps in Strausberg moves into the mountains of Mulhouse. (I might have plans for the GE 7th army in Mulhouse - and will need a new garrison...)
Also, the GE 6th army in Strausberg attempts to build a much needed trench.
Needing a 3 or less, I roll a 5...

AP Action 3: Russian Reinforcements - RU 9th and 10th armies created in the "To Caucasus" box. (Here comes the cavalry!)

CP Action 4: Wireless Intercepts card played as 2 ops.
Timisvar and Novi Sad activated for attack.
The AH 5th and 6th armies attack Belgrade. (No flank attack possible due to trench.)
Attack strength of 6, reduced to the 5 column (again, the damn trench!)
Die roll of 4 causes LF of 4 - which will eliminate the SB 1st army and replace it with a corps.
SB attack back, Strength of 3 (2 for the army + 1 for the fort), shifted to the 4 column due to trench. Die roll is a 6! for 4 LF - flipping both AH armies.
No retreat necessary (LFs were equal). (This would have been much different without the trench. And it’s still there!)
CP Mandated Offense fulfilled.

AP Action 4: British Reinforcement 2nd Army card played as 4 ops.
"To Caucasus" box, London and Kovno activated for movement.
Nancy activated for attack.
RU 9th and 10th armies move from "to Caucasus" box to Vinnitsa. (Threatening the AH corps in Kamenets-Podolski - and thus threatening to resupply Czernowitz. Well, I knew I wouldn’t be able to hold it. I just wanted to make the AP use up ops to save their army...)
BR 1st army moves from London to Brussels.
RU 1st army moves from Kovno to Insterberg.
In Nancy, the French 1st and 2nd armies assault (the trenchless) Strausberg.
Attacking on the 6-8 column, rolls a 5 for five LF.
Flips the GE 6th army, and eliminates the GE corp.
Attack back on the 9-11 column, roll is a 6 for LF of 7!
The only way to fulfill all of the loss is to eliminate one of the FR armies, and then flip its replacing corps. The 2nd army is kaput.
AP Mandated Offensive made.

Not much happening on the Western Front...

CP Action 5: SUD Army card played as 3 ops.
Budapest and Kamenets-Podolski activated for Movement.
Tannenberg activated for Attack.
AH corps in Kamenets-Podolski moves to Tarnopol. (No sense in losing a corps - and he’ll still have to spend an action to take the space.)
AH 3rd army moves from Budapest to Munkacs. (Might as well replug the holes now... I should have moved to Stanislaw, though! But I didn’t think he’d do what he was about to do...)
The GE 8th and a GE corp in Tannenberg attack the RU 1st in Insterberg.
Attacking on the 6-8 column, rolls a 1 for LF of 3. Flips the RU 1st.
Attack back on the 3 column, rolls a 3 for LF of 2. Eliminates the GE corps. (I should have attacked without it!)
RU 1st retreats back to Kovno. Germans do not advance.

AP 5th action: Rape of Belgium card played as 4 ops.
Szawli, Lublin, and Vinnitsa activated for Movement.
Nancy activated for Attack.
RU corps in Szawli moves to Memel.
RU 5th army in Lublin attempts to entrench. Needs a 1-2, rolls a 3.
RU 10th army in Vinnitsa moves to Dubno, and RU 9th in Vinnitsa moves to Kamenets-Podolski. (Putting Czernawitz back into supply.)
FR 1st and FR corps in Nancy attacks Strausberg (again.)
Strength of 4, rolls a 2 for LF of 2 - no effect.
Attack back on the 6-8 column, rolls a 1 for a LF of 3. Flips the FR 1st.
(The historical and disastrous assault on Strausberg early in the war is officially recreated now! French elan, meet German machine guns...)

CP 6th action: AH Reinforcements 7th Army/2 corps played as RP.
(Sacrificed the badly needed AH reinforcements for the good of the Central Powers...)
AH: 2 rp, GE: 3 rp.

AP 6th action: Withdrawal card played as 2 ops. (!!!)
Kamenets-Podolski and Dubno activated for Movement.
RU 9th army moves from Kamenets-Podolski to Lemberg. VP total moves to 9.
RU 10th moves from Dubno to Stanislaw.
(Putting the AH 2nd in Lutsk and the AH corps in Tarnopol out of supply!)

The AP forgoes replacement points for the turn in order to put the AH 2nd army and the AH corps out of supply... I really should have moved the AH 3rd to Stanislaw. The Russians could have taken Cluj and Drebrecen for two VP, but they would have been overextended... Instead, we go to:

Attrition Phase:
AH 2nd Army in Lutsk is permanently eliminated (and siege is lifted).
AH corps in Tarnapol is eliminated.

Siege Phase:
Not anymore

War Status Phase:
CP increases to Limited War. Turkey enters the war.

Replacement Phase:
AP: None! (My only consolation for losing a whole army... Hopefully this will come back to haunt the allies!)
CP: AH 3rd in Munkacs and AH 5th in Novi Sad both flipped to full strength side.
GE 7th in Mulhouse and GE 6th in Strasbourg both flipped to full strength side, a GE corps in Bremen is flipped to full strength, and a flipped GE corps moves from eliminated to Reserve Box.

The respective Eliminated boxes at the end of Turn 2...

Summary:

On the Western Front, the German’s try to dig in and hold their line of forts. So far, they hold up well against a minor French offensive at Strasbourg. Pretty much no change in the status quo.

The Eastern Front sees a large German build up opposite Poland. In the South, Austria-Hungary launches an offensive against Czernowitz and Lutsk. The Russians respond by calling up two armies in reinforcements, and the counter-offensive costs A-H an entire army. The Russians now have advanced along a solid front into A-H territory.

The Serbs have repulsed the first A-H assault on Belgrade, but have just a corps holding onto the city. Two A-H armies remain to the North, countered by only one Serb army in Nis.

The Central Powers have entered Limited War, and after two turns of basically building forces (primarily on the East Front) seem poised for a major offensive campaign. (Which the A-H fervently hope will draw some heat off of them...)

Stay tuned for Turn 3, now in progress!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Our First Game - via VASSAL - A Detailed Report of Turn
Excellent report...really liked the illustrations. Really gave me a feel for the game. Good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. A lot of playing WS cards for things other than the events. This can come back to haunt a person!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's what we hear... It *is* our first full game (we've only played 2 intro games ftf prior...)

Lionel mentioned that he's trying to get his reinforcements out before he adds LW cards into the mix...

I'm at LW at the end of turn 2.. isn't that pretty good?

I've heard that I should shoot for TW by the time I've gone through the (LW) deck twice... And since he's a little behind me, I decided I could burn a few good ones for ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Mele
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Excellent report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
redjack11 wrote:
I'm at LW at the end of turn 2.. isn't that pretty good?

Oh, yes; it's the best you could possibly do. But even for you it might have been possible to play Oberost as an event to get a 2 card out of your deck and push you one step further toward Total War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see... Yes, getting 2 and even 3 ops cards out of my deck - something I need to work on... Especially the ones that give WS.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.