flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Back of the box

Pandemic Legacy Season 2 box back wrote:
The world almost ended 71 years ago...

The plague came out of nowhere and ravaged the world. Most died within a week. Nothing could stop it.
The world did its best.
It wasn't good enough.

For three generations, we, the last fragments of humanity, have lived on the seas, on floating stations called "havens." Far from the plague, we are able to provide supplies to the mainland to keep them (and us) from succumbing completely.

We've managed to keep a network of the largest known cities in the world alive. Things have been tough the past few years. Cities far away from the havens have fallen off our grid...

Tomorrow, a small group of us head out into what's left of the world. We don't know what we'll find.

Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 is an epic cooperative game for 2 to 4 players. Unlike most other games, this one is working against you. What's more, some of the actions you take in Pandemic Legacy will carry over to future games. No two worlds will ever be alike!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hansen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I will probably have to take vacation when this comes out. My group is rabid about P:L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other info on the box:

- Headlines of: Create your own characters, Discover the world, Help Populations Survive!

- Starting Contents list (as best as I can read it):

Starting Contents wrote:
1 Board
10 Character cards
4 Pawns
9 Supply centers
5 Tokens
36 Supply cubes
8 Plague cubes
53 Player cards
27 Infection cards
82 Legacy cards
4 Haven worker cards
6 Dossiers
Reference cards
Manual and much more!

- Disclaimer that you don't need anything else to play; in particular Pandemic Legacy Season 1;

- Confirmation that the two boxes have identical contents;

- and a very strange and interesting looking map...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hable
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The map looks like it's borrowing the exploration idea from Seafall. Player will discover new things about this island they've been living on as the games continues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seraph El
msg tools
mb
I'm attaching a link to a somewhat better photo of the back cover

http://imgur.com/a/S5j6c
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seraphel2910 wrote:
I'm attaching a link to a somewhat better photo of the back cover

http://imgur.com/a/S5j6c

That's much better! All sorts of more info to glean.

Some character abilities that are visible in the Create Your Own Character section:

Character Abilities wrote:
Instructor: Once on your turn, as an action, you may give any 1 Player card to a player in your location.

Laborer: You may do the Build Supply Center action with 1 fewer card if you spend 2 Supply cubes from your Character Card.

Farmer: Once on your turn, when doing the Make Supplies action, you may immediately do the Deliver Supplies action for free.

Epidemics look like they follow the traditional 3 steps (Increase, Infect, Intensify).

It looks like the triggers for opening boxes are tied to spending cards on locations, as written on the map!

and a few more nuggets to pull out with some careful study...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seraph El
msg tools
mb
Written on the map with regard to exploration:

Recon with X unique [color] cards from a supply center here to open Package Y.

The ones with the asterisk symbols are "Recon with any [color]".

I wonder if this portion is more like Risk Legacy, where you open certain packages as soon as you meet their requirements and not as a part of the linear story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dhable wrote:
The map looks like it's borrowing the exploration idea from Seafall. Player will discover new things about this island they've been living on as the games continues.

An observation about the back of the box...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
For those who didn't notice, the map on the back of the board is the middle of the Atlantic Ocean with Africa on the right and South America on the left. It seems you flesh out the map of the world as you play, discovering new population centers and what has changed about the world at large over 70+ years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seraph El
msg tools
mb
The "Help population survive" section indicates that instead of making cities fall, you're doing the opposite throughout the campaign, rebuilding the population.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The character cards have a lot of room for stickers in a similar format as Risk Legacy. I somewhat wonder if you'll take ownership of a single character in this game, since they're all so customizable, as opposed to Season 1 where you could pick whichever character was best suited to combat the disease cubes at that time. It looks like none of them has any innate ability and that you stick on abilities as you play, so it would make sense to me that you don't ever change characters, which is more akin to SeaFall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also noteworthy: this box has 20 more Legacy cards than Season 1 did, as well as 1 more dossier. Some of that will be accounted for by the extra 'Prologue' game at the beginning of the Season, but not all of it. Seems like more stickers and goodies in store this time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
It depends how you count. Season One's "dossier" had the front sheet of stickers as well as five behind doors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
It depends how you count. Season One's "dossier" had the front sheet of stickers as well as five behind doors.

The back of Season 1's box lists 5 Dossiers in their starting contents, as opposed to the 6 on this one. That's how I came up with the number, just based on the box, same with the listed number of Legacy cards on both
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew J. Wilson
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like there will be portions of the map/game board discovered by placing stickers of land masses onto the board. Interesting. It might make for a messy map if misplaced...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seraph El
msg tools
mb
I hope it's not stickers... I think it'll be fidgety and disjointed.

A scratch map sounds the most logical...

http://cdn.notonthehighstreet.com/system/product_images/imag...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many people guessed a scratch off board when the first image of it was leaked a little while back. I think that makes a ton of sense, but would be fine with stickers, as well. Totally could see stickers in each one of those Packages that you unlock in exchange for different colored cards. Stickers would also make it so the amount of space revealed is a lot more controlled than a scratch off area (how would they even explain where to start and stop scratching???). However, I do agree that an entire game board piecemealed together with stickers would likely not LOOK nice. I'm fine with either, but I also don't think either one is more or less likely than the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seraph El
msg tools
mb
much0gust0 wrote:
Many people guessed a scratch off board when the first image of it was leaked a little while back. I think that makes a ton of sense, but would be fine with stickers, as well. Totally could see stickers in each one of those Packages that you unlock in exchange for different colored cards. Stickers would also make it so the amount of space revealed is a lot more controlled than a scratch off area (how would they even explain where to start and stop scratching???). However, I do agree that an entire game board piecemealed together with stickers would likely not LOOK nice. I'm fine with either, but I also don't think either one is more or less likely than the other.

I think stickers are less likely because the unrevealed areas have a very different blue than the revealed portion's sea - making stickers stick out in a bad way (in Seafall, the entire map/sea was in the same color, making stickers more seamless).

In addition, if you look at the map, the revealed section has boarders that feel scratched at their edges (and not a fine lines).

With regard to where to scratch - the map is divided to cubes with horizontal and vertical coordinates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jaso
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I sure hope if it's a scratch off board that it's a better quality than the scratch off cards from Season 1. Those scratcher cards were probably the worst quality of any scratch-off item I've ever used.

Also, it seems like it would be pretty hard to scratch off areas of the board when there are game pieces all over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Presumably, there would be no reason for game pieces to be on the parts that would be scratched off. Before they're scratched, they're just fog of war empty looking space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Here's another possibility: the board comes covered in stickers that you peel off as you explore.

One significant constraint on what they could do is that it has to be something that lets you fold the board up. If people discover they can't put the game away because they just used Russia to stick the board to itself, they'll be sad. (-8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
Here's another possibility: the board comes covered in stickers that you peel off as you explore.

One significant constraint on what they could do is that it has to be something that lets you fold the board up. If people discover they can't put the game away because they just used Russia to stick the board to itself, they'll be sad. (-8

Extremely mild spoiler about Seafall...

We found an island directly on the seam of the board. It was a fold-outward seam, and the sticker couldn't extend to get the extra length...so we cut the sticker in two and put one on either side. Worked fine but it felt odd to be taking scissors to a part of the game we weren't supposed to be destroying!

I'd be most inclined to believe that it's things that get peeled away - removing the fog of war. It could be the entire main board (except the initially revealed area) is made up of dossier like windows that get removed one at a time (possibly matching the grid on the board) although I'd expect to see some hint of that in the image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Presumably, there would be no reason for game pieces to be on the parts that would be scratched off. Before they're scratched, they're just fog of war empty looking space.

I think Eric is referring to the fact that scratching the board will likely shift it back and forth with each scratch, potentially causing pieces to move around elsewhere on the board.

I GUESS the scratched off sections could correlate to the grid lines, but that wouldn't really match the already 'scratched off' sections of the board, and also doesn't match the inset box on the right side of the board showing exploration.

Another strange thing is that I guess we'll have to draw our own connection lines between existing and new cities? There are no lines from existing cities going into the fog of war. So that's something, haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jaso
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Drawing your own paths would be pretty awesome, although I imagine if you mess up it would be a nightmare to ignore that line from then on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler B
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ebolamonkey wrote:
Drawing your own paths would be pretty awesome, although I imagine if you mess up it would be a nightmare to ignore that line from then on.

Some of us are used to drawing our own paths. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/923255/printing-error-some-...

My copy was missing the Lagos-Sao Paulo connection so we just drew it on with a bright yellow wet erase pen. Works just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Strong-Morse
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Spoilers for other Legacy games:
Risk Legacy has you draw an additional path, and SeaFall has instructions to draw guidelines out from islands to the edge of the board, so adding new paths is not unprecedented at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.