The Hotness has gone cold...
Paolo Mori
Italy
Parma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is for my entry for the Wargame Print and Play Contest.

BLITZKRIEG! 20 MINUTES WWII is a game for 2 players (Axis vs Allies). It's an 'army placement' game, that borrows some mechanics from his elder brother Dogs of War (and obviously other games).

I'm currently through the playtesting phase, but still not ready (maybe will be in a week or so) to share files for blind playtesting.

I think it could enter the contest categories for Best strategic game (blush) and Best Short/Quick Small game.

• [+] Dice rolls
Beau Chambers
msg tools
Re: [WIP] Blitzkrieg! 20 minutes WWII [2016-17 Wargame Print and Play Contest]
Very Interested!

Subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mollineaux
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Mori
Italy
Parma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is not going to be polished as I wished, but I'll do my best to deliver. Here are some updated images of board, tokens and player screens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Mori
Italy
Parma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game should be now in "Components ready" phase, and open for playtest. I'm just waiting the very last day to move it forward to the "Competition ready" step.

If you are interested to give it a try, here you can download the files:

Gameboard (to be printed on a single A3 paper sheet)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3xkvzZRT6uQd19WVFd5YjZnVF...

Army tokens and Player screens (to be printed on a single A4 player sheet)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3xkvzZRT6uQOHR2TFpWelZPYm...

Game rules
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3xkvzZRT6uQVnlxZWJSaTNFbH...

Let me know if you have any feedback or questions about rules or gameplay. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A minor thing, but having two A4 map-parts instead of a single A3 would be more handy - not everyone has an A3 printer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Mori
Italy
Parma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
A minor thing, but having two A4 map-parts instead of a single A3 would be more handy - not everyone has an A3 printer

Your wish is my command, Sir!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3xkvzZRT6uQQldCZEFHUElBcl...

Unfortunately I had to decrease the size of the board to 95%, so at the moment the army tokens are slightly larger (about 20 mm) than the battle spaces that they should occupy on the board (about 18mm).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just printed it all out - looks nice - will try to get it to the table in the next couple of days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pa°L° wrote:
Unfortunately I had to decrease the size of the board to 95%, so at the moment the army tokens are slightly larger (about 20 mm) than the battle spaces that they should occupy on the board (about 18mm).

Won't a program like Adobe allow printing at reduced sizes?

Out of interest, what software are you using to create the counters? A tool like nanDeck makes resizing fairly easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pa°L° wrote:
Let me know if you have any feedback or questions about rules or gameplay. Thanks!

Quote:
At the beginning of his turn a player has no army tokens in his reserve. Its opponent is declared the winner of the war.

Should be "his oppponent".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Mori
Italy
Parma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used Inkscape.. Yes, reducing the size of the tokens shouldn't be a big issue, I just didn't have the time yet. In the last draft I'll update the file. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Mori
Italy
Parma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I expected, I didn't have more time to test the game or edit the rules, so here it is, the game is now "contest ready". Again, if you get to play the game and you have questions or feedback, I'll be more than happy to hear it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Mori
Italy
Parma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated - congratulations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franzosa
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this one tonight. Fun game! My spouse enjoyed it even though I'm hardcore game player in the household.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Mori
Italy
Parma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zosa wrote:
We played this one tonight. Fun game! My spouse enjoyed it even though I'm hardcore game player in the household.

I'm really glad you enjoyed the game :-). If you have any feedback or doubts about rules, let me know.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franzosa
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played through another and noticed that there are no "Carpet Bombing" spaces on the board as described in the rules. Did I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Mori
Italy
Parma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zosa wrote:
I played through another and noticed that there are no "Carpet Bombing" spaces on the board as described in the rules. Did I miss something?

Sorry, I noticed your question only now. In the end I didn't use the "Carpet Bombing" on the board, so just ignore it. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mollineaux
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this game on two separate occasions--once with my nine year-old daughter and another with my 14 year-old son. (I lost both times whistle). The kids don't have a lot of patience for long drawn-out games, so the guarantee of '20 minutes' was definitely a plus!

It's a very simple but enjoyable game with a some surprising opportunities for strategy. The 'war' is a bit abstracted, but I think this makes it a good introductory game for budding enthusiasts (my kids) or those otherwise marginally interested in wargames (my wife). Victory opportunities are very well balanced. Good replay value.

One question: After a campaign is complete and the marker is on the red (center) space of the battle track, who is awarded the victory points? The assumption is that no one earns them. Is this correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, you won 3rd prize in the Best Short/Quick/Small category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franzosa
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kerpob2 wrote:
Congratulations, you won 3rd prize in the Best Short/Quick/Small category.
I'll second the congratulations. I hope you have plans for this (publish?... or even just clean up the rules based on some of the feedback here). This is good, solid little game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiyohide Nakaminami
Japan
Nara City
Nara Prefecture
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed the first game.
After the completion of 10 campaigns, the opponent's Axis countries won at 28 vs 18.
I lost the game but it was a fun experience.

And I have two question.

1. General and Admiral also move battle marker by one space? Or, "1" on their tokens is simply a VP rate display?

2. VP icon on battle track is cumulative? So, battle marker reached to 2 VP icon, also reached 1 VP and gain 3(1+2) VP?

In the above game, played with General and Admiral generated VP only and the VP icon was cumulative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Mori
Italy
Parma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ami, thanks for trying the game and enjoying it!

AMI_SOLGER wrote:
I enjoyed the first game.
1. General and Admiral also move battle marker by one space? Or, "1" on their tokens is simply a VP rate display?

The Admiral and the General only make you advance on the battle track (1 space + 1 for each of allied navy / tank in the TO), they don't give you VP!

Quote:
2. VP icon on battle track is cumulative? So, battle marker reached to 2 VP icon, also reached 1 VP and gain 3(1+2) VP?

No, if you reach the 2VP, you only get +2VP, not 3!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiyohide Nakaminami
Japan
Nara City
Nara Prefecture
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Paolo,
Thank you for answering.

I confused battle track and war victory track.
I will make the next challenge with the correct rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Mori
Italy
Parma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've changed a rule in the meanwhile, playing the game some more times. Instead of ending the game at the end of the 10th campaign, the end game conditions change as follows:

The game ends if a player gets to 25+ victory points at the end of his turn. If it's the Axis player to get to 25+ points, Allies player gets one last turn. The player with most vp is the winner.

The game also ends if a player is not able to place any army token on the board at the beginning of his turn. His opponent is thus the winner.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.