Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
115 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Star Realms» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Star Realms XTL: King of the Kill -- main discussion & annoucement thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to King of the Kill, a Star Realms Express Tiered League!

This is a new endeavor, which may be awesome, may suck, may not be for everyone, and maybe shouldn't exist at all. But let's give it a go.

Overview
The aim of this endeavor is to combine the structure and progress of a tiered league like the BGG Star Realms League and the Facebook Tier League, into the frequent wave framework popularized by King of the Cosmos and used during the brief run of Star Realm Gladiators.

Players will start at an Entry Tier, and have the opportunity to climb to higher tiers. Divisions will be small and fast, utilizing the simultaneous all-play-all round-robin structure that Star Realms Cup has used, but with single game matches like the other tiered leagues. Individual divisions will be asynchronous from one another, removing season-based overhead.

Note: this is not intended to be a replacement for the BGG Star Realms League, and there is no guarantee that it will continue to operate on a regular basis. It is intended to be a fun supplement for star realms addicts.

Details
The League will begin empty and grow over time. Players who wish to participate will signup via BGG GeekMail with the some basic information, and will be placed into an entry-level division. The league will utilize Challonge, with some informational updates and banter taking place here within the BGG forums.

In general, each division will be 6 players, with a wave starting once the division has been filled with competitors from the queue associated with the tier (and all have accepted the challonge invitation). Each player will play the other players within the division using a set format, and will be expected to finish all of the games within about a week. In general, the top player will be promoted to the next higher tier, and in non-entry-level tiers, up to two players will be relegated to the next lower tier. The remaining players will be eligible to compete again in the same tier.

Once enough players have earned promotion at a given tier, the first division of a new higher tier will launch, creating an expanding ladder of tiers for one to climb though. When tiers are created, they will go through several phases depending on their position in the ladder. Each tier will have a charter establishing the specifics of divisions within that tier (how it differs from the generic description above), and may change over time as additional tiers are established above it.

Rules and Expectations
Players will generally be expected to own all of the expansion content, though use of Gambits and Events will be restricted to Tier-02 and above, and will only be used if a majority of competitors in a division (4 of 6) have requested to play with that expansion. Players with any limitations to this expectation should inform me during initial sign-up -- accommodations will attempt to be made, but will very likely increase a player’s wait time between waves.

A player may choose to take a break at any time by informing the organizer before the end of their current wave. The tier that the player would next be scheduled to compete in will be noted, and the player will be eligible to participate in that tier when they choose to return.

Entry level divisions will for the most part play type-BF, with 1B, B, or V divisions occasionally mixed in to accommodate players who do not own both expansions. Once a player has earned promotion out of Tier-00, they will be contacted to provide a ranked list of their preferences. Potential formats will mostly consist of (BF, 1BF, BFH, & 1BHF), though accommodating formats will also be mixed in (V, B, & 1B). In general, a division’s format will be dictated by a compromise of player preferences.

As players earn promotion out of Tier-01, they will be contacted again regarding their interest in playing with Gambits and/or Events, and may give an updated list of preferences with these included. Likely candidates will be (A, 1BEHF, 1BEF, BEF, G1BHF, G1BF, GBF), and potentially others.

Tiebreakers: This league will use the same tiebreaker system used in the BGG Star Realms League, first comparing head to head results of tied players, and in cases of unresolved multi-way ties, compare records against the next highest player(s) not involved in the tie for promotion, or next lowest player(s) for relegation. If a multi-way tie is reduced to two players, the head to head result will be the deciding factor. Because divisions are small, it is possible that these procedures will not be sufficient to break all ties, in which case a tiebreaker game may be played.

Founding of a new Tier
Most tiers will begin in the Establishing Phase. During this phase, there will not be promotion, and relegation will be curtailed to a single player. Rather than earning promotion, the division winner will receive a token. For as long as the player is competing in this tier, the token is redeemable as a relegation-save. If the division winner already has a token, this will trigger the start of the Transition phase, and they will be the first player promoted out of the tier.

During the Transition phase, division winners will now earn promotion regardless of if they’d earned a token previously or not. Relegation will still be curtailed to a single player. Depending on how high this tier is on the ladder, the Transition phase could last for quite a long time.

At some point, a tier may enter the Stabilized Phase, at which point relegation will be extended to be two players per wave. These phases are subject to change, and may be tailored for the specific tier in the tier charter. Much of the structure will depend on participation level.

Tier Charters & thread links

Tier-00: Entry Level Tier
Tier-00: Entry Level Tier wrote:
As the starting point of all League members, this tier is the foundation upon which the league is formed and supports all of the tiers above it; it is the gateway through which XTL careers are launched. This tier will have no founders listed, as it is the league facilitator himself who has established this tier.

Divisions within the Tier will have a limited format range, primarily featuring V-BF, while other formats will be rotated through to support the inclusion of players unable to play that format. Alternative formats may include V, V-B, and V-1B as necessary.

There is no relegation from this tier, as it is the lowest tier. All non-promoted players simply return to the queue and await their next chance to compete.

Divisions within this tier will promote two players rather than the normal one in order to provide a steady stream of competitors to the tiers above. Because of the extra promotion, the division size will be larger than normal, comprising of 7 players rather than 6.

Tier-01: Orbital Platform
Tier-01: Orbital Platform wrote:
This tier is the first place where prior success is a requirement to compete. This tier is fed by a steady stream of Entry Level Tier division winners and runners up, providing a tense do-or-die competitive environment. This will be the only tier where the list of founders will be larger than the size of a division. All players who are promoted from Tier-00 during the first cycle through the initial player queue will be considered a founder of this tier.

Divisions within the Tier will have a limited format range, primarily featuring V-1BHF, and derivatives (no Gambits or Events). Alternative formats may be used as necessary to accommodate players lacking certain expansions.

This tier will begin in the Transition Phase. During this phase, only 1 player will be relegated from each division rather than the normal 2 players. This is intended to help stabilize the tier itself, as well as support creating the next tier up.

At some point after Tier-02 is founded, this tier will enter the Stabilized Phase, at which point 2 players will be relegated from each division. Rather than being primarily supported by entry level division promotions, the extra relegation each wave will also be back-filled by relegation from above.

Tier-02: Border Fort
Tier-02: Border Fort wrote:
This tier is the first tier composed entirely of division winners, and should provide some intense competition. The first six such winners from Tier-01 are this tier's founders.

Divisions within the Tier will have an unlimited format range, and will be decided based on the preferences of players in the division. Gambits and Events may be used if at least 4 players within the division desire to play with them.

The tier is now in the Transition Phase. During this phase, only 1 player will be relegated from each division rather than the normal 2 players. This is intended to help stabilize the tier itself, as well as support creating the next tier up.

At some point after Tier-03 is founded, this tier may enter the Stabilized Phase, at which point 2 players will be relegated from each division. Rather than being primarily supported by entry level division promotions, the extra relegation each wave will also be back-filled by relegation from above.

Tier-03: War World
Tier-03: War World wrote:
Divisions within the Tier will have an unlimited format range, and will be decided based on the preferences of players in the division. Gambits and Events may be used if at least 4 players within the division desire to play with them.

This tier will begin in the Establishing Phase. During this phase, only 1 player will be relegated from each division rather than the normal 2 players, and the division winner will not earn a promotion. Rather, the division winner will receive a token, which may be used as a relegation save. If the division winner already has a token, this will trigger the start of the Transition phase, and they will be the first player promoted out of the tier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How To Sign Up

1. Subscribe to this thread.
2. Send a GeekMail to me, including the following information:
--- Star Realms In Game Name
--- Challonge User Name
--- Preferred Format (e.g. 1BF)
--- Limitations (List of expansions you do NOT own)

Things to keep in mind:

1. Unless you tell me otherwise, auto-renew is assumed.
2. If you have vacations or other time limitations, please let me know ahead of time.
3. You will never lose progress by sitting out for a while, so don’t over-commit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pan da
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haha nobody's signed up you suck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pan da
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But I'd like to sign up now tho
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Low
Australia
Canberra BC
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too late
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will likely create a thread for each Tier, to separate banter and such from this main thread... But we just hit 7 players, so its time to roll the thing.

I've sent the very first set of challonge invites. We will launch when all have accepted.

Division-000: Cargo Launch
Format: V-BF

CrankyDay
AngryPanda
dlow
karmakanik
Messire
FrUnitSeven
Mongul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Johansson
Australia
Cudal
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
horowits wrote:
Missed the first run. Damn you, work!! Still very excited! Thanks again Cranky!

Seconded. To all of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've started a thread for Tier-00: Tier-00 Thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Invites for Division-001 and Division-002 have also gone out.

I'll check back in an hour or so to see if any of the three have full acceptance. I may launch them anyway, as I'm pretty stoked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Low
Australia
Canberra BC
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyDay wrote:

I've sent the very first set of challonge invites. We will launch when all have accepted.

Division-000: Cargo Launch
Format: V-BF

CrankyDay
AngryPanda
dlow
karmakanik
Messire
FrUnitSeven
Mongul

Not too late!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, why not. PM sent for the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lovett
United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Can I join please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scrooge82 wrote:
Can I join please?

Join what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there are time zone issues at play, but as this will likely be a constant thing, I want to give everyone a heads up.

If a Challonge invite is peding acceptance for awhile, I may invite a substitute, and then revoke the original invitation when the sub accepts and the division launches. This has a few implications:

1. If you go to accept an invite, but find the event has started already, it means you were substituted, but be assured, when this happens you will have received a replacement invite to participate in another division.

2. You may receive an invite for an earlier division even though you've already accepted one for a later division and are awaiting its start. If you move forward as a sub, you will be removed from the later division when the earlier one starts.

Clear as mud? good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Division-000 has officially launched!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciago
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing what happened was you invited multiple subs from 001, and then once 000 was full you canceled the rest? It's only been 40 minutes since I got an invite to 000 but it says the invite isn't available anymore and the division has started, so I'm guessing I was too slow and am still in 001 then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is what happened, sorry for any confusion. Once the initial surge subsides, things will settle down. Horowits took the sub spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Divisions-001 and Division-002 have both launched!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Schaumberg
United States
Seymour
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we play rounds out of 'order'? I have a Round 7 match already going on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biggs Larkdighter
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Facsantos, I sent you two challenges (from Darklighter). One is the correct format (BF), and the other is an incorrect format. Feel free to reject or accept the incorrect one, we could always play it as a friendly match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes!

The idea of Express, is that the division is not run at a slowish round-by-round pace, but rather an all-play-all simultaneous slug fest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rdemille wrote:
Facsantos, I sent you two challenges (from Darklighter). One is the correct format (BF), and the other is an incorrect format. Feel free to reject or accept the incorrect one, we could always play it as a friendly match.

I acept the correct one and reject the other

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sarkissian
United States
Richmond
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is there a way to get on a waiting list for another Tier? Should I bother with a geekmail?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SilentAl wrote:
Is there a way to get on a waiting list for another Tier? Should I bother with a geekmail?

Yes, finishing in the top two of an entry level tier division will get you onto the wait list for the next tier up. you should totally send a geek mail though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Low
Australia
Canberra BC
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyDay wrote:
Yes!

The idea of Express, is that the division is not run at a slowish round-by-round pace, but rather an all-play-all simultaneous slug fest.

If you start the next Masters Series while this is still in "hectic" phase, I will probably turn into a gelatinous pile of goo ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.