Ogre» Forums » General

Subject: What is in my Ogre 6th edition box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Carter
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I am a proud owner of ODE and while I don't mind hauling around that huge box (I still haul around an 8.5 lb. laptop), I can understand the appeal for a more portable version. Prior to the publication of the Ogre 6th edition there were some very creative efforts to get a lot of Ogre (and GEV) into a more portable format. I remember the one done by leroy43 and then there was the extreme efforts of kuhrusty who literally cut down the box.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1102539/alternative-sto...

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1081054/ogre-de-normal-...

With the publication of Ogre 6th edition we now have a new opportunity to develop a packed portable system. Here is what is in my Ogre 6th edition box.

A full set of the Classic Counters. Some additional detail on the case and sub-storage containers can be found here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/25325989#25325989

The Ogre 6th edition counters and Ogres along with a Mark V and two Mark IIIs for each faction that I created using stretch goal #1 from the ODE Kickstarter. These units are done at 62% so the Mark III fills one hex and the Mark V occupies part of a second hex but leaves enough room for a classic counter. As these units have no interior detail they act as Classic Counter style 3D silhouettes. I have added a black die so each faction has a matching die.

To fit all of this into the Ogre 6th edition box plus the Ogre map and the rules the first step is to remove the garage! Yes sacrilege, but it really opens up the possibilities.

Here are all the piece in the box. Note that the Classic Counters case fits exactly. The two Ogre 6th edition Mark IIIs are stacked with one upside down on top of the other.

Add in the Ogre map. The unit containers fit the space between the board and the edge of the box very closely and keep the board from shifting into the Mark V tower or into the Mark IIIs.

Add in the rules, put on the lid and it is ready to be ported. This setup weighs 3.8 lbs. and you can play all the Ogre scenarios using either the 6th edition standard counters or the Classic Counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice marriage of old and new. The Black and White mini-ogres are great. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone else see the trend.

The older we get the larger the numbers are on US paper money. Now SJ Games is making larger counters for us too. I'm quite happy about that but in a way it makes me a little sad. But still, it is better than one game company I know that uses small cards putting a dark brown small font on a lighter brown background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
Did anyone else see the trend.

The older we get the larger the numbers are on US paper money. Now SJ Games is making larger counters for us too. I'm quite happy about that but in a way it makes me a little sad. But still, it is better than one game company I know that uses small cards putting a dark brown small font on a lighter brown background.

I suspect we'll see substantially more "embiggening" as the current cohort of designers and developers slouch into decrepitude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Carter
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Refining the idea by adding in GEV

It occurs to me that with a full set of Classic Counters what is missing is being able to play GEV/Shockwave scenarios as well as Ogre scenarios. So I found a way to pack more into the 6th edition box.

This time I will include the Ogre map and the north and south sections of G2 and S1.

The classic counters get repackaged into Large Long DotBoxes and tabs are added.

Additional pieces for play.

Step one of loading everything into the box.

Step two - the remainder of the piece containers.

Step three - the Ogre map and the dice. Notice how the dice fit the space between the Ogre map and the edge of the box and prevent it from sliding around while the containers with the Classic Counters prevent sliding in that direction.

Step four - the ODE rules, scenario book, and documentation. This does make the box lid ride up about 1/8".

But what about all the terrain pieces for modifying the maps? I have rarely used them but they can be included if I know I am headed out to play a scenario that uses them.

A Dopplesoldner and terrain hexes. The terrain hexes act as a spacer to keep the board in place. The gap between the maps and the edge of the box is wide enough to fit Mark II, III, IIIb, IV, and V as well as the Ninja,Fencer, and Fencer B. Sorry Mark VI there is just not enough room (I have never played a game with one). Put in one or two Ogres and fill the rest in with terrain hexes. Add the Ogre map and ODE documentation on top.

/edit/ This version weighs 8.3 lbs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.