Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Schreiber
United States
Waynesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Tolerance for ambiguity is the first step in maturity.
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly what is the direct English translation of "Zicke Zacke Hühnerkacke"? I think Chicken Cha Cha Cha is a fine name for the English version, but I'm curious about the direct translation. As well as the translation of the 'duck and poo' expansion for this game, "Zicke Zacke Entenkacke"?

By the way, just how many languages has this game been tranlsated into? ...and how well does the name adapt to each language?

I'm always curious how well names translate and what that means for the success of a game. I first fell for gaming with the 1990 Spiel Des Jahres Winner, Adel Verpflichtet. Which wasn't as accessible for non-gamers but was better than the Avalon Hill invention of calling it "By Hook or Crook." Of course, for years my friends have been asking to play 'the bean game' and that hasn't hurt Bohnanza.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Ruepprich
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Name translation?
Chris Schreiber (#26772),
"Zicke Zacke" is a non-sense utterance used in a cheer. It is similar to the English "Hip Hip" as in "Hip Hip Hooray."
"Hünerkacke" is a not-so-proper term for chicken droppings.
I guess you could translate it into "Hip Hip Chicken sh**." That rhymes just as well and maintains the meaning.
laugh
Flieger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schreiber
United States
Waynesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Tolerance for ambiguity is the first step in maturity.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Name translation?
flieger (#28062),

Brilliant!

Zicke Zacke thank you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.