Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lang Jones
United States
Kew Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't call this a review, just my thoughts on the game. Its my first time trying to present my thoughts like this, so please be gentle.

Subject Matter

I'm a sucker for anything obscure, so a foggy battle in the Crimean War scratches my itch.

Components

Counters
- thick and well made, although a few of them were just a bit fuzzy, still very solid overall.

Map
- clear and functional. If I have a gripe its with the size of the hexes. The mechanics of this game involves moving stacks of counters, and removing counters from said stacks. I would have liked to see larger hexes so it would be easier to move one stack without affecting the counters in adjacent hexes. I even found myself reconsidering moves that might knock down other counter stacks. I'm considering buying the PNP version just to get the map files and print it out at 125%.

Player Aids - There's a turn track to help keep a handle on things and all the charts you need are printed on the last page of the rulebook. I would have liked to see the charts on a separate sheet, but that's what copiers are for. I'd also love to have seen the scoring methodology added to the reference sheet.

Mechanics - This game uses chit pull, which I love, and stacks of counters which I didn't know I loved until I played this game. Each unit has step counters under it to denote its strength. When units take a hit, you remove a step counter, once the steps are gone you flip the unit ID marker over to its reduced side. I REALLY, REALLY like this mechanic. It creates a sense of doom as you see your best units reduced, and an even greater sense of doom when you see a tall stack of counters descending on your units.

The Russians begin the game with advantages in men, but the Allies have the advantage in weapons and morale. As the Russian player you can force the action, take territory, and still lose as your army breaks under the strain of its tremendous losses.

Oh and did I mention fog? The fog is a powerful component of the game. It alters the visibility and the number of phases in the turn. This is a bit of chrome that I love. Its much more than the typical "its raining -1 MP". Fog adds to the realism of the game and makes the battlefield feel like an actual place in time and history

I'm currently in the midst of a session where the fog hasn't lifted and the Russian charges are making minced meat of the Allies. I can't help but think this game would be very different if the fog had lifted a few turns earlier

VERDICT

I highly recommend this game. Its set in an undergamed time period, has some neat mechanics and is just a ton of fun. A couple of revised player aids, and a larger hexes would make this one darn near perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur on all your points, Lang. I like the idea of expanding the map by 125%. Great game!

Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.