Popular Tags: [View All]
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, to me it seems like building is way better than shipping, has anyone else found this?

Let me explain: I played PR with my Gamer Games group a few months ago, went and bought it and played it with my Non-gamer game group. They loved it and we played it loads. I won the first few games with the building strategy and all of them now build like nuts and we finish with about 45-55 points each game, so I thought I'd switch to shipping to diversify the strategy. It's never won me a game. The builders seem to be able to get cash so much quicker that I can't afford the buildings I need to make shipping effective, my girlfriend reckons maybe if there were other people shipping it might pay off. The game we played Friday ended with 37 points for the victor (my GF who finished the game with 12 buildings, 2 of the large buildings and a few shipping points) 35 for 2nd, me on 30 and last place on about 26).

So what do you guys reckon? If everyone is building how can shipping be made more efficient? Am I totally missing something? Is this something the expansion can balance out a bit more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think going into a game thinking "this time I am going to do shipping" isn't a good idea.

Going "shipping" when the builders have created slow coffee and tobacco ships isn't going to get you anywhere.

Even "shippers" need a source of money. Early tobacco or sugar is nice.

With playing against "builders", never* pick Craftsman or Builder.

*Unless you need to ensure you get your four corn or that last large building or...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Sullivan
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never pick builder as builder? That's the whole point, no? I know when I'm builder I want to end the game as fast as possible and often that means that builder needs to be picked every round (not necessarily by me).

To the OP, most of my friends actually find shipping to be far superior but I like building better. It depends how my set up comes. If I'm going to get 3-4 corn tiles, I'll definately not be building very much this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are actually 2 shipping strats, one involving the wharf and one involving the harbor. I think the harbor strat is more powerful. Early on the goal is to get a Coffee, Tabacco or Sugar started so you can get cash. Then you get a small warehouse and a harbor. You also want to start producing as many different commodities as possible. After that you are saving for your big building. If you can get a factory or wharf, that is very nice. The idea is to put 1 commodity on as many ships as possible, since you get an extra VP for each good shipped. You like the Coffee or Tabac ships that are being slowly filled and start them whenever possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Berry
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel in love with this game the first turn I played it. It seemed to me that building was always a key to winning the game. I was surprised when about a week ago I played a four played game and the winner, my broter-in-law who is not a gamer one by his continual shipping of corn. I wish I paid more attention to what he had done during the game to relate the experience, but I plan on trying to see if I can recreate his corn wining strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Barney wrote:
Never pick builder as builder? That's the whole point, no? I know when I'm builder I want to end the game as fast as possible and often that means that builder needs to be picked every round (not necessarily by me).

To the OP, most of my friends actually find shipping to be far superior but I like building better. It depends how my set up comes. If I'm going to get 3-4 corn tiles, I'll definately not be building very much this game.

I think he said when playing against builders don't pick builder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think PR is a game where your choice of strategy can be largely affected by the strategies of others.

Try the building strategy if you are in a group of 3 shippers.....

If you are the lone shipper, you are the one who usually has to pick craftsman (i.e. the builders usually don't want to do it plus they are busy building, settling, trading and prospecting.)

I have also found that the building strategy tends to work better with lesser number of players (as many of the players I play against tend to ship).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ted makes an excellent point, which frankly is one of the reasons I am not a huge fan of 3-player PR (which unfortunately was the version played most often on BSW as players generally eager to whip out a game in 15-20 min were reluctant to slow things down and wait for a fourth player). When playing with 3, you are almost guaranteed to have either two builders versus one shipper or vice versa, and often whoever is the odd player out loses. However, with four, it often works out to be much more balanced (two builders versus two shippers), which tends to make the games more closer and much more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.