Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Canada Day/4th of July - Can/US Math Trade
Falcons wrote:
Another Math Trade Question....if I am interested in a game (say Puerto Rico for example) and multiple users are offering it....would I list it several times in my want list? So my want list might include 2 games, but listed four or five times because of different traders offering the same game? Does this increase your chance of getting the game?

thanks

If you offered two games your want lists might look like:

1Game1 4Puerto 5Puerto 6Puerto 7Puerto
2Game2 4Puerto 5Puerto 6Puerto 7Puerto

This gives you a good chance of getting Puerto Rico, but you might get two copies of Puerto Rico.

To keep this from happening you either list Puerto Rico on one want list, or pick one of the copies and list it on both. So you'd either have:

1Game1 4Puerto 5Puerto 6Puerto 7Puerto
2Game2

Or

1Game1 4Puerto
2Game2 4Puerto

There are advantages and disadvantages to all three methods. In the end it is up to you to determine how badly you want a particular game knowing that if you list multiple copies on multiple lists you may just get multiples....

The good news is that if you do wind up with dups you can usually get one of the person to hold it for you and put it into the next math trade so that you don't have to pay for shipping twice. Or often you can work out a trade for one of the dups with other participants after the math trade is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Falcons wrote:
Another Math Trade Question....if I am interested in a game (say Puerto Rico for example) and multiple users are offering it....would I list it several times in my want list? So my want list might include 2 games, but listed four or five times because of different traders offering the same game? Does this increase your chance of getting the game?

thanks
It certainly increases your chances of getting the game.
However, it also increases the chances of you ending up with 5 copies of the same game.

If you only list them for one item, that doesn't apply, obviously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Rokkr wrote:
It certainly increases your chances of getting the game.
However, it also increases the chances of you ending up with 5 copies of the same game.

If you only list them for one item, that doesn't apply, obviously.

This happened to me in a Math Trade once. (Actually, I only got two games, not five) I decided that if my biggest complaint was that I got too many copies of a game I wanted, that's a pretty small thing to complain about. I was happier to get two copies than none.

Of course, I traded the second copy away in the next Math Trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it seem weird to anyone else that there's a game store with 20+ entries (in the first few pages - I haven't gotten too far) in a math trade? I mean, I don't see anything particularly wrong with it. It just seems weird, all those entries of in-shrink, off the shelf games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
disclamer wrote:
Does it seem weird to anyone else that there's a game store with 20+ entries (in the first few pages - I haven't gotten too far) in a math trade? I mean, I don't see anything particularly wrong with it. It just seems weird, all those entries of in-shrink, off the shelf games.

Well, I would vouch for Paul. He took part in the Toronto area math trade that I helped organize, and there were absolutly no issues with that one. Plus, as owner of fungamescafe he has a strong reputation of good service behind him.

Chad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tuttle
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo hooo! Another math trade. I'd better figure out what I'm going to throw in.

BTW, has anyone contacted JeffyJeff about using his want list generator yet? I really like using it, it makes math trade life about 1,000 times easier imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm another first-timer who is considering participating. Are postage rates overly outrageous when shipping from the U.S. to Canada?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kleves wrote:
I'm another first-timer who is considering participating. Are postage rates overly outrageous when shipping from the U.S. to Canada?
My experience is the average package to Canada is going to cost in the neighborhood of $20 if you want assurance it's delivered.

For me at least, that makes trading with Canadians too expensive.
And before I get all kinds of nastiness from Canadians, this has nothing to do with whether Canadians are worth trading with, merely that their postal service and ours need to seriously work out a system whereby mail between our countries is considered the same as mail within each country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tuttleboy wrote:
BTW, has anyone contacted JeffyJeff about using his want list generator yet?

I'd prefer that its use not be made mandatory. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
tuttleboy wrote:
BTW, has anyone contacted JeffyJeff about using his want list generator yet?

I'd prefer that its use not be made mandatory. Thanks.

It would be nice if it was at least available to use. Filling out want lists the old way seems so.. primitive.

I have to *WRITE* out my lists... on PAPER!

Ugg, hardcopy.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've geek-mailed JeffyJeff to see if he was going to make it available...

Best,
Stephen, "The Evil One"
--TEO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me, or does it seem like the games listed so far are an extremely high quality selection?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eknauer wrote:
Is it just me, or does it seem like the games listed so far are an extremely high quality selection?

It's not just you. There's a ton of excellent games to be had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eknauer wrote:
Actually, it has a long way to go to equal the large number of quality items available in the last math trade.
That's not to say there aren't some nice games in this one though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patt wrote:
dcorban wrote:

Some people just don't want to ship internationally. These people will state "US only" or "Canada only". I feel the only valid reason for this is if you really want accurate tracking. Cross-border delivery confirmation is dubious at best, and using a method with full tracking costs a hojillion dollars.

Snort! LOL I have -never- seen anyone say "Canada Only"! devil

Well, when it is only like $2 more to send to the US, it isn't that big of a deal.

Also, Canadians are rich and have money to burn. Just wait until next year when the USD is worth less than CAD, it will be cheaper to buy the games in the US and have them sent directly than trading our own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is with all these Ravensburger Tikal & Torres? Was there some sort of sale on these recently? They are giving the Tangas a run for their money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Patt wrote:
dcorban wrote:

Some people just don't want to ship internationally. These people will state "US only" or "Canada only". I feel the only valid reason for this is if you really want accurate tracking. Cross-border delivery confirmation is dubious at best, and using a method with full tracking costs a hojillion dollars.

Well, when it is only like $2 more to send to the US, it isn't that big of a deal.

It actually cost me $2 less to send a small package from Montreal to Portland than it did to send the same package from Montreal to New Brunswick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
What is with all these Ravensburger Tikal & Torres? Was there some sort of sale on these recently? They are giving the Tangas a run for their money.

Tuesday Morning stores here in the States got a shipment of them in and were selling them for $15 each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willythesnitch wrote:
dcorban wrote:
Patt wrote:
dcorban wrote:

It actually cost me $2 less to send a small package from Montreal to Portland than it did to send the same package from Montreal to New Brunswick.

That has been my experience too. It is a little cheaper to ship to the US than to another location in Canada.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When shipping within Canada, you can get a 10% discount. There is a card you apply for called "Venture One". It appears to be aimed toward businesses, but anyone can get it, you get it instantly, and they don't ask any questions. I have had it for years. The discount only applies on parcels within Canada.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
When shipping within Canada, you can get a 10% discount. There is a card you apply for called "Venture One". It appears to be aimed toward businesses, but anyone can get it, you get it instantly, and they don't ask any questions. I have had it for years. The discount only applies on parcels within Canada.

Hey thanks for the info. I will definitally have to look into that. I suppose it is on the canadapost web site somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Thanks! Though, it's 5% off shipping and an additional 3% if you use the on-line shipping.

I've just registered as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What did you call your small busness name? Did you just use your regular name?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
JasonRMax wrote:
dcorban wrote:

Tuesday Morning stores here in the States got a shipment of them in and were selling them for $15 each.

Indeed. Some of us got Tikal, some did not.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patt wrote:
What did you call your small busness name? Did you just use your regular name?

Actually, I just made something up.

I haven't even signed the card I received in the mail. The post office doesn't even look at it, they just scan it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [28] |