flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Canada Day/4th of July - Can/US Math Trade
Quote:
The discount only applies on parcels within Canada.

I get a Venture One discount when shipping to US all the time. 10% of expedited rates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MK-Ultra71 wrote:
Quote:
The discount only applies on parcels within Canada.

I get a Venture One discount when shipping to US all the time. 10% of expedited rates.

It seems you are correct. Almost all of my packages to the US have qualified for "small packet" (even relatively large packages such as games), which doesn't have a discount.

Here is the chart. Everything that has a checkmark in the far right column has a discount with the card.

http://www.canadapost.ca/business/intsol/sb/ventureone/shipp...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aquadukt
Is every copy of Aquadukt posted the Tanga Uberplay edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
carl67lp wrote:
JasonRMax wrote:
dcorban wrote:
What is with all these Ravensburger Tikal & Torres? Was there some sort of sale on these recently? They are giving the Tangas a run for their money.

Tuesday Morning stores here in the States got a shipment of them in and were selling them for $15 each.

Indeed. Some of us got Tikal, some did not.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

There weren't many out there... only about one of each per every three Tuesday Morning Stores... but it appears the most everyone who bought them decided to trade them here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sisyphean Gamestacker
United States
Taylors
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
There weren't many out there... only about one of each per every three Tuesday Morning Stores... but it appears the most everyone who bought them decided to trade them here.

Fair enough. Last year, TM contributed Villa Paletti and a slew of Gigamic games to the trades, this year Tikal and Torres. One friend and I divided the four TMs in our area and checked them out. He found nothing, I found one Torres (of course, he already has Tikal). Someone may have beaten us to it, but if so, they haven't been bragging about it on our usual lists.

TM also has a bunch of older Front Porch games in stock right now, but I guess those aren't games people want to speculate on. The games tend to be old fashioned, but the pieces are nice.

I haven't put my Torres up for trade -- it's supposed to be fun. On the other hand, it's still in shrink . . .

Seems to me that having a couple of top 100 games suddenly appear all over the math trades just means more fun for everyone (or lower ratings for those games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sisyphean Gamestacker
United States
Taylors
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atimrogers wrote:
Seems to me that having a couple of top 100 games suddenly appear all over the math trades just means more fun for everyone (or lower ratings for those games).

Unless you end up with four or five copies, of course (says the man who got all three copies of Last Frontier: Vesuvius Incident in the last math trade .) But even then, you can give some to your friends and trade out the others (that's what I did).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bridges
United States
Los Altos
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the packaging guidelines for games shipped through math trades? Probably none, but I would imagine there is a minimum standard to expect.

I received a brand new, in shrink copy of The Scepter of Zavandor from the last math trade that was merely wrapped in brown paper. There was no carton around the game box. The game arrived slightly crushed and the game box is now far from square. My in shrink copy is now considered far from excellent and I am a little peeved.

I'm not sure what kind of feedback to leave in the trade tool. If my expectations (a carton around the game box with a decent amount of "stuffing") are way out of line, I will just leave positive feedback and move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ya'itz Yer'moov
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
All That We See Or Seem
badge
Is But A Dream Within A Dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What is the packaging guidelines for games shipped through math trades?

I received a brand new, in shrink copy of The Scepter of Zavandor from the last math trade that was merely wrapped in brown paper. There was no carton around the game box. The game arrived slightly crushed and the game box is now far from square. My in shrink copy is now considered far from excellent and I am a little peeved.

I'm not sure what kind of feedback to leave in the trade tool. If my expectations (a carton around the game box with a decent amount of "stuffing") are way out of line, I will just leave positive feedback and move on.

ruce, I for one would be VERY pissed, and think the feedback should be NO HIGHER than a NEUTRAL with a comment telling exactly what you just said here. If I was considering a trade with that person, I would DEFINITELY want to have that information available to me, so that I could say "NO DEAL, unless you learn how to pack!" (and then would probably have to instruct them on how to open and close a cardboard box, the wonders of packing peanuts and bubblewrap and specify the necessity of using tape to KEEP it closed.)

As a meticulously anal collector of all things geeky (NOT to be confused with meticulously geeky collectors of all things anal! ), savages that ship stuff this way infuriate me to no end.

Makes me fearful of the unknowns involved in Math Trades...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Genre, that's unacceptable packing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll admit to doing it myself when I first started with oversized games, and never heard a complaint. But I now find that kind of packaging unacceptable.

Contact the trader and let him know what happened and how you feel about it. Hopefully he will be responsive. Don't just leave positive feedback like two other people did. I'm sure he will answer this himself since he is reading this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
diehard4life wrote:

I was very tempted to get Torres solely to trade (as I own the newer version), but decided against it. Okay, my wife decided against it. But I did buy a copy of Tikal--only one though--because it's a SdJ winner, and I'm collecting them in reverse...it was next on my list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was the one that sent that game. I have sent many games out without a box and have had only one previous report of damage. I should also say that this is the first time I have heard a peep about the condition of Scepter of Zavandor. What a nice way to learn about the problem!

Canada Post doesn't give out free packing materials like USPS. I don't have perfectly sized boxes laying around. I also don't have a mint to spend on shipping a huge box filled with air. I do, however, now have some good sized boxes and plenty of packing peanuts thanks to the last trade. Previously, my games would arrive in tiny boxes or bubble mailers, so I had nothing to reuse. Rest assured that future traders with me will have nothing to complain about.

*edit*
Oh, and please unshrink that game! I bought it new and it collected dust sitting in shrink for months already. It is crying to be played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
I was the one that sent that game. I have sent many games out without a box and have had only one previous report of damage. I should also say that this is the first time I have heard a peep about the condition of Scepter of Zavandor. What a nice way to learn about the problem!

Canada Post doesn't give out free packing materials like USPS. I don't have perfectly sized boxes laying around. I also don't have a mint to spend on shipping a huge box filled with air. I do, however, now have some good sized boxes and plenty of packing peanuts thanks to the last trade. Previously, my games would arrive in tiny boxes or bubble mailers, so I had nothing to reuse. Rest assured that future traders with me will have nothing to complain about.

USPS, doesn't give out anything. packaging materials, shipping, dealing with the post office should be taken into everyone's consideration when it comes to doing math trades. i try to save as many boxes and shipping materials for re-use as possible as a way to reduce the cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then times have changed. USPS has historically given out free boxes, tape, etc. They did when I lived in Ohio. My mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They still give out free Priority Mail and Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes. No tape or packing materials though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
eknauer wrote:
Is it just me, or does it seem like the games listed so far are an extremely high quality selection?
Actually, it has a long way to go to equal the large number of quality items available in the last math trade.
That's not to say there aren't some nice games in this one though.

So far, I'm thinking that the last math trade had more extremes of high and low value/quality. This math trade is more consistently good. Not too many super valuable games, but less crap than usual as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joewyka wrote:
Rokkr wrote:
eknauer wrote:
Is it just me, or does it seem like the games listed so far are an extremely high quality selection?
Actually, it has a long way to go to equal the large number of quality items available in the last math trade.
That's not to say there aren't some nice games in this one though.

So far, I'm thinking that the last math trade had more extremes of high and low value/quality. This math trade is more consistently good. Not too many super valuable games, but less crap than usual as well.

For all the knocks on Tanga-it must be said that many Tanga games are *good* games at good prices and worth trading for if you like the *game*-

Ra from Tanga for 10 bucks or from ThoughtHammer at 22 bucks is still Ra-a classic game worth owning/playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y Park
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Anybody know whether the box for Khet/Deflexion will fit inside the USPS flat rate box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tuttle
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evilone wrote:
I've geek-mailed JeffyJeff to see if he was going to make it available...

Best,
Stephen, "The Evil One"
--TEO

TEO, Have you heard back from JeffyJeff? I've visited the page a couple times since I first posted, but it's not showing this math trade yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tuttleboy wrote:
evilone wrote:
I've geek-mailed JeffyJeff to see if he was going to make it available...

Best,
Stephen, "The Evil One"
--TEO

TEO, Have you heard back from JeffyJeff? I've visited the page a couple times since I first posted, but it's not showing this math trade yet.

Yes, I did hear back from him... He indicated that he was busy, but wanted to participate in the Math Trade, and will try to get his great Want List Generator running for this MT.

He just got back to me today, so this probably won't happen immediately...

Best,
Stephen, "The Evil One"
--TEO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bakalchuck
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpbartleby wrote:
Anybody know whether the box for Khet/Deflexion will fit inside the USPS flat rate box?

No it won't fit in the priority mail flat rate boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bridges
United States
Los Altos
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Dan,

I don't want to start an argument, but if you have traded about 10 games and already had one person indicate that they received a crushed game, you probably should have changed your shipping practice or at least started advertising up front how the packaging would be. The feedback on two of your trades, though positive, indicated the recipients were surprised to receive games wrapped in only paper, so maybe that should have raised a red flag to you.

I probably should not have mentioned the name of the game so people could trace this back to you, so my apologies for doing so. My intent was to gather feedback to confirm whether my feelings were out-of-line before contacting you.
dcorban wrote:
I don't have perfectly sized boxes laying around. I also don't have a mint to spend on shipping a huge box filled with air.

You probably should not have been trading games then or at least advertised your non-standard packaging practice until you were ready to do what everybody was doing and expecting in return.
dcorban wrote:
I do, however, now have some good sized boxes and plenty of packing peanuts thanks to the last trade. Previously, my games would arrive in tiny boxes or bubble mailers, so I had nothing to reuse. Rest assured that future traders with me will have nothing to complain about.
I'm glad to hear that you will be boxing games going forward. I would think bubblewrap would be fine for card games, but anything larger than that is just going to be subject to crushing or dings.

I'm not so upset about what happened and I would trade again with you if you assured adequately packaging since you obviously meant nothing malicious. I am looking forward to trying out the game, so thanks for sending it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tuttle
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evilone wrote:

He just got back to me today, so this probably won't happen immediately...

Best,
Stephen, "The Evil One"
--TEO

Hope he gets it up soon, it's a friggin' awesome tool, that has made math trading much easier for me personally. I know there are nay sayers out there, but I can not say enough good things about the tool and will use it in every math trade it's available for, and I think it would even encourage me to join a trade I wasn't sure I wanted in. Yes it's ugly, but, that's some of it's attraction. I've used it in six trades to generate my lists and haven't had a problem yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
tgbruiser wrote:
dcorban wrote:
I was the one that sent that game. I have sent many games out without a box and have had only one previous report of damage.
I don't want to start an argument, but if you have traded about 10 games and already had one person indicate that they received a crushed game, you probably should have changed your shipping practice or at least started advertising up front how the packaging would be. The feedback on two of your trades, though positive, indicated the recipients were surprised to receive games wrapped in only paper, so maybe that should have raised a red flag to you.

-- Admin mode off --
-- Personal rant mode on --

Wrapping games in paper and shipping them is just not acceptable in any sort of trade. It pretty much guarantees damage. Personally, if I find a person who ships games in paper, they go on my personal bad trader list, and I will not trade with them. It just seems silly to let a game get destroyed in the mail and defeats the whole purpose of trading.

-- Personal rant mode off --
-- Admin mode on --

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Piette
Canada
Beloeil
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SHIPPING PERIOD INCREASE.

Hello to you all, I just found out that I'll be traveling to Oklahoma next Sunday and be back July 20th. I will have my portable computer with me, so I'll be able to keep the communication going, but if someone gets a game from me, it won't be shipped before July 23rd or 24th.

But rest assure, games will be shipped as fast as I can upon my return.

Just wanting to let you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [28] |