Re: Canada Day/4th of July - Can/US Math Trade
Requests!

Age of Steam

Leonardo Da Vinci

Reef Encounter

Stephensons Rocket

Scepter of Zavandor

Some of these may already be in the math trade, I haven't really looked

Btw when packing games I always pack mine not so much in a box but wrapped in cardboard as if it was paper. If that makes any sense. Break down a box and just bend and fold the box to wrap tightly around the game(with small bubble wrap around the corners of the game box for extra protection). Keeps the package almost exactly the same size as the game itself and keeps it safe. Saves on shipping and brings in more bubble wrap, theres no need to buy more bubble wrap just keep trading it back and forth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonRMax wrote:
My requests:

A large number of cards for Deadlands: Doomtown CCG

Talk to me. I have a few THOUSAND DT cards languishing in some boxes here. Episodes 1&2 all the way to Eye for an Eye. I'm even trading for a small handful of cards...

As for want lists...I like trying new games, so there's nothing in particular. I'm hopeful to upgrade my copies of Acquire and/or RoboRally, but I know the odds are low. But there are a bunch of games out there that I wouldn't mind adding to the collection; it's just a matter of if anyone wants MY stuff...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
OtisBFilthy wrote:
Btw when packing games I always pack mine not so much in a box but wrapped in cardboard as if it was paper. If that makes any sense. Break down a box and just bend and fold the box to wrap tightly around the game(with small bubble wrap around the corners of the game box for extra protection). Keeps the package almost exactly the same size as the game itself and keeps it safe. Saves on shipping and brings in more bubble wrap, theres no need to buy more bubble wrap just keep trading it back and forth
In my opinion that is not good enough. The game will still get damaged since the game box itself is supporting the 70-100 lbs of other packages thrown on top of it. The game should be surrounded on all sides by a minimum of 1 to 2 inches of packing, so the box takes the weight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OtisBFilthy wrote:
Requests!

Reef Encounter

OK. I will try to add that tomorrow.

Now that I am more committed to jumping in, I will note that the 5pm Tuesday and Wednesday deadlines will prevent me from being very helpful with Genetitrade (and after I just upgraded to 3GB!!). I don't get home until 7pm PDT or so and can run it overnight, but will have to cut it off in the morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Banks
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And I'd like to see an english edition Antike, Canal Mania, Downfall of Pompeii, Go Away Monster!, La Città, Medici, Mäuse-Rallye, Monkey Madness, and Spirits of Niagara added.

Welllll, I *could* add my copy of La Citta that fits your needs -- but, I prolly wouldn't trade it for anything & that would just be mean, right?

Besides, you already got my Big City -- I don't feel the need to fill the hole on your shelf beside it!

(You *have* played it by now, right??)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
OtisBFilthy wrote:
In my opinion that is not good enough. The game will still get damaged since the game box itself is supporting the 70-100 lbs of other packages thrown on top of it. The game should be surrounded on all sides by a minimum of 1 to 2 inches of packing, so the box takes the weight.

I agree that this method of wrapping is unacceptable. Someone sent me a game that way and it was squashed. USPS provides free boxes for Priority Mail. Once you receive games, you will have more free boxes to ship with. I've got a room full of them at this point. (Well, some still have games or packing peanuts in them.)

If you have good boxes then you bubblewrap within can be sufficient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see Das Spiel or the Age of Steam Expansion - 20,000 Rails Under the Sea. I will add good stuff that people are asking for to the list if these show up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
schlappy wrote:
Quote:
And I'd like to see an english edition Antike, Canal Mania, Downfall of Pompeii, Go Away Monster!, La Città, Medici, Mäuse-Rallye, Monkey Madness, and Spirits of Niagara added.

Welllll, I *could* add my copy of La Citta that fits your needs -- but, I prolly wouldn't trade it for anything & that would just be mean, right?

Besides, you already got my Big City -- I don't feel the need to fill the hole on your shelf beside it!

(You *have* played it by now, right??)

I've tried to get it to the table three times and each time it gets nixed for some reason or another. Eventually it will get played even if I have to whine until it does. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone requested - so I've added an Avalon Hill copy of Dune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Request: Sword of Rome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a complete English copy of La Citta that I wouldn't mind trading... for another complete English copy of La Citta.

I bought mine for a ridiculously low price on Ebay. The contents are like-new, but the box is quite the opposite. I am kind of anal about my boxes, but that doesn't even apply here. The box may actually fall apart. It is one of the few games that I am forced to keep the insert for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Blackham
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
Solamar wrote:
OtisBFilthy wrote:

I agree that this method of wrapping is unacceptable. Someone sent me a game that way and it was squashed. USPS provides free boxes for Priority Mail. Once you receive games, you will have more free boxes to ship with. I've got a room full of them at this point. (Well, some still have games or packing peanuts in them.)

If you have good boxes then you bubblewrap within can be sufficient.

Nah it's a great packing method if done right(it is possible to do it poorly), only for single games though. If your shipping multiple games yea you need a different style. I've sent out around 15-16 games like this and have yet to hear anything bad about it, infact I get stuff like "Well packaged. Game as described. Thanks!" in my feedbacks. Packaged like this makes it a lot tougher than you might think.

I don't live in the states and our postal service provides expensive boxes

But ya know, seeing as I only cover $10 shipping I'd be more than happy to package games however the recipient wanted me to, its their dollar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Kind Folks,
looking for the following games:
Mall of Horror
Power Grid
Star Wars - The Queen's Gambit
War of the Ring

Please note that I will ship to Canada for this round of math trade (this will be a trial to see if I would continue to do so), but most items that are over a pound will be costly, especially the games that are 4-5 lbs. Please use USPS.COM to see estimated cost into Canada, from Miami Florida 33183. I will use a confirmation method with it, so expect it to be added to the total cost of shipping.
The amount I cover is enough to cover shipping w/ confirmation in the US.
Please ask me if you would like to know the weight of an item.
I only take payment for any extra postage via PAYPAL.

Thank you Kevin for running this MT.cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I added a few games based on comments here (Sword of Rome & Battlestations, each with an expansion). I may add Chinatown, but right now I'd just be doing it to tease you ... as it stands I'm not sure if I'd trade those big games for much ... so many games to look over ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very new to this, so bear with me.

The whole idea of a math trade (or any trade, or in fact any kind of commerce) is that different things have different values to different people. I get that.

It's also obvious that there's a range of absolute value in this trade list -- Dune vs. Tichu is probably the widest range. So I assume the algorithm will produce disjoint cycles, with the people posting the "best" stuff getting the other best stuff, and the lower ranges getting similarly-valued stuff. Of course, part of the idea here, I assume, is that you just might get lucky and have someone's wishlist pull you into a "higher" circuit.

I also understand that it's fun (i.e. of value) to trade a game you just don't like, or can't get to the table, for a game you think you will like, no matter what you think it's "worth". The number of items in the list described as "got in a math trade and didn't enjoy" lead me to think that a lot of people are also using this as a cheap way to try games that nobody in their local gaming group wants to pay retail for sight-unseen.

I've also given games to people just because I thought they'd enjoy them; that's fun (i.e. of value.)

(Last night at a friend's house we opened up and played two new-in-shrink games of mine. The games are now "worth" less, but we had fun, which is why I bought them. And I'm the cool person who brought the new games, which is also certainly worth something ;-) )

What makes me wonder about the enduring popularity of math trades, though, is that everyone is paying shipping. I followed what looked like the standard when I posted and offered to pay the first $10 of shipping; even the people who haven't offered to pay shipping have to deal with the fact that everyone else thinks about shipping costs when making up their wishlists. So everyone in a cycle needs to not just get a game that is "worth" as much to them than what they traded away, but to get a game that is worth more to them than the game they traded away *and* the expense and effort of shipping. If 100 games get swapped around in this math trade, then we as a community have spent $1000 to optimize who possesses what.

So, what other factors have I missed in what is driving this obviously-viable economy? Am I just too much of a packrat to understand the urge to prune one's collection? Will I understand better once I have a decade of seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time game purchases behind me? Are there that many games that break once everyone learns the optimal strategies, or once they aren't novel any more?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tuttle
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:

So, what other factors have I missed in what is driving this obviously-viable economy?

I'm sure it's a bit different for everyone, but for me, if I can't get a game to hit the table every few months, it's time to trade it. I don't have a huge collection and likely never will, but I'd like what I have to be played. Most of the games in my collection are playable by two players or more, that's because my primary competition is my wife. Most of the games I end up keeping aren't quite as meaty and involved for the same reason. So oft times, I'll trade for a game, see if the gang I play with about once a week enjoys it, and if we don't turn it around in the next math trade that comes up.

Yes, it costs me about ten bucks every time I make a trade, but to me that's quite a bargain considering most of the games that I get would run me upwards of $35.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
tuttleboy wrote:
Morganza wrote:

So, what other factors have I missed in what is driving this obviously-viable economy?

I'm sure it's a bit different for everyone, but for me, if I can't get a game to hit the table every few months, it's time to trade it. I don't have a huge collection and likely never will, but I'd like what I have to be played. Most of the games in my collection are playable by two players or more, that's because my primary competition is my wife. Most of the games I end up keeping aren't quite as meaty and involved for the same reason. So oft times, I'll trade for a game, see if the gang I play with about once a week enjoys it, and if we don't turn it around in the next math trade that comes up.

Yes, it costs me about ten bucks every time I make a trade, but to me that's quite a bargain considering most of the games that I get would run me upwards of $35.

Mostly the same for me. I know a lot of people talk about shipping costs entering into the equation; for me, that's less of a concern. For example, if I bought Arkham Horror at retail for $50 (plus tax) and traded it at $9 shipping, the total cost to me to acquire a game in trade would be $60. Do I expect or want a $60 game in return? Generally not. I figure that by the time I've had my fill of a game, I've already gotten a return on my investment.

So I'm fine with trading something that's "worth" N dollars to get something back that's <N dollars in value...so long as what I receive is something I know I'll enjoy for a while.

Not only that, but a lot of what I trade comes from thrifting, or was received itself in a trade. Like Warrior Knights--I got that in a trade for which I sent out Diplomacy. I bought the latter at Bookman's for $4. A pretty good return on investment for me--Warrior Knights retails for $50. But!--the person who got Diplomacy, I hope, is just as happy as now he's got a game he's more likely to play.

We had a big discussion about this a while back (two discussions, really, that talked about many of the same issues). Look in the Trades section for more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
The Geek? Yes, it's a good site. But - ah! You should have seen it before the rebranding! It was legible and a joy to read! All gone now, sadly, and so (mostly) am I because of it ...
badge
I'm sorry, I cannot read this site regularly while the intense white background is in effect. I have eye health issues, and this is painful. I'll still make brief visits, largely for trades and rules questions, but my socializing here is done for now
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice JeffyJeff just started his own math trade. I suppose this means we won't have access to his excellent Want List Generator.

Could we bribe him with GG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bakalchuck
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
I notice JeffyJeff just started his own math trade. I suppose this means we won't have access to his excellent Want List Generator.

Could we bribe him with GG?

His math trade is for people attending Unity Games in Mass, so it is very targeted as to the participants. It doesn't seem like he set it up to compete with this math trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
The Geek? Yes, it's a good site. But - ah! You should have seen it before the rebranding! It was legible and a joy to read! All gone now, sadly, and so (mostly) am I because of it ...
badge
I'm sorry, I cannot read this site regularly while the intense white background is in effect. I have eye health issues, and this is painful. I'll still make brief visits, largely for trades and rules questions, but my socializing here is done for now
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't mean it was competition - I just meant he's putting his games in that one, which makes sense, given that he can save on shipping. Thus, his incentive to supply the Want List Generator for this trade is low, not having any games in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:

So, what other factors have I missed in what is driving this obviously-viable economy? Am I just too much of a packrat to understand the urge to prune one's collection? Will I understand better once I have a decade of seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time game purchases behind me? Are there that many games that break once everyone learns the optimal strategies, or once they aren't novel any more?

It may be a packrat thing.

In general, if I have a game I'm unlikely to play again, it doesn't do me much good sitting in my closet. How much it costs is irrelevant. That's a sunk cost. If I can spend $9 (and a game I don't use) to get a game I know I want that costs $30, I'm $21 ahead.

Now, if I could have sold my game for $60, then I'm behind. I should sell it and take the money.

Assuming I don't consider my current game completely worthless changes my numbers but not the calculation.

The real issue is ignoring the "I paid $50 for this" thought. If the game won't get played, that was the poor decision; not trying to salvage some value in a math trade. (And typically, games that I don't like, or others don't like won't tend to sell used for that much).

Different people are affected by the "But I like what I've got" or "But I paid X for this" (which is called the endowment effect, if I remember my psychology correctly). For a long time I personally wouldn't make trades unless I felt I was coming out way ahead.

But I like trying lots of new games, so its inevitable I'll get some duds (or some good ones I just can't convince others to play). This is a good way to rotate them around cheaply. And yes, I can try to make trades where I come out way ahead if I like. It won't happen unless everyone else involved agrees to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Iacoucci
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to let you guys know I think we have a record - 14 Pizza Box Footballs in one Math Trade - WOW!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tuttle
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaizen Zanshin wrote:
Just to let you guys know I think we have a record - 14 Pizza Box Footballs in one Math Trade - WOW!

I need to know...does anyone not have a copy of PBF? Cause if you don't, you should be able to get a copy out of this trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate football. In fact I hate all organized sports.
The downside is I never get invited to Superbowl parties.
The upside is a good many women are delighted to find men who hate sports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
I hate football. In fact I hate all organized sports.
The downside is I never get invited to Superbowl parties.
The upside is a good many women are delighted to find men who hate sports.
I also don't enjoy being an arm chair quater back (or couch, etc). I also never understand why folks align themselves with given teams just because the teams home field is the one closest to where they live (or rew up). Don't they understand that most of the players on their home team are not even from their local area but from all over the place (never mind from the same country), and the same for the team's owner(s) and management.

In any case, the organized sports industry has been doing a much better job of marketing to women and now there is now a larger percentage of women who are "fans" of watching organized sports

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [28] |