Christopher Hatchitt
United States
Adel
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm heading to Grapevine, Texas 76051 in June for an IT Conference at the Gaylord Texan. Can anyone recommend a good game store close by?

I like to visit the FLGS when I travel.

Thanks!
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Espitia
United States
Houston
TX - Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never really been to that part of town, but a quick "comic book store" brought up quite a bit of places around Grapevine. I know comic book store is not a game store, but I feel that this will bring up game related paces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am a Turtle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a store with a big selection of games to buy, Boomerang Comics is probably it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kowynia
United States
Bedford
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a small store on St Hwy 26 in Grapevine called Area 51. Very Small number of games, more miniatures based. Big game room for minis.

Much better, in my opinion, is about 5 minutes down Hwy 121 at Harwood Rd. Generation X Comics and Games. Very large selection of games (several hundred). Tables to play on. About 40 store demo copies of games on the shelf. Good staff and usually plenty of people willing to play something or let you join in. I go there quite a bit and bring my daughter on occasion. Plus a great restaurant next door, Vietnamese and Thai food.

Depending on when you are going, I would be happy to meet and get in a game of just about anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am a Turtle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just piggybacking off of this thread, but you know if any of these stores are doing International Tabletop Day with the promos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Frey
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a place near there called Twenty Eleven Comics, not a huge game section, but there are a couple game groups that meet there and there are a few tables set up.
Super nice people run it! When Scythe was first released in retail, they were the only shop in town that still had a copy and was nice enough to reply to my email inquiry.
Kind of a drive, but its all fast highway, is a newer place in Frisco called New World Gaming. That store is pretty cool, picked up Clank! and Terraforming Mars there a couple weeks ago.
And finally, like every else in Dallas will say, Madness is obviously the biggest in town. I prefer to find stuff at the small shops though. The Gaylord is amazing, you'll enjoy it.
What conference is it? I'm in IT and I live very close to there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hatchitt
United States
Adel
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KnightMDK wrote:
Never really been to that part of town, but a quick "comic book store" brought up quite a bit of places around Grapevine. I know comic book store is not a game store, but I feel that this will bring up game related paces.

Thanks! I tried a few searches and found several hits that ended up not being current so I thought I would ask the local BGG community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Mordecai
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's generation X comics about 5 min south on 121 from where you'll be staying. not an enormous selection but pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ross
United States
Lewisville
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
siredofk wrote:
There is a small store on St Hwy 26 in Grapevine called Area 51. Very Small number of games, more miniatures based. Big game room for minis.

Much better, in my opinion, is about 5 minutes down Hwy 121 at Harwood Rd. Generation X Comics and Games. Very large selection of games (several hundred). Tables to play on. About 40 store demo copies of games on the shelf. Good staff and usually plenty of people willing to play something or let you join in. I go there quite a bit and bring my daughter on occasion. Plus a great restaurant next door, Vietnamese and Thai food.

Depending on when you are going, I would be happy to meet and get in a game of just about anything.

Area 51 closed down last year, as did Roll 2 Play in Coppell, sadly. Boomerang is good and probably the closest store.

If you don't mind a 30~45 drive, visit Madness Games & Comics in Plano. Its an amazing store and well worth the trek to visit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Visskar wrote:
If you don't mind a 30~45 drive, visit Madness Games & Comics in Plano. Its an amazing store and well worth the trek to visit.

I will second the recommendation to go to Madness Games & Comics if you have a car. They have a huge selection and a massive store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on where you are, but if I were pretty close to Grapevine, the one I'd likely hit would be Gen X - head south on 121 to get there (Harwood exit, I think - to the east of 121). Boomerang isn't bad, but has a pretty small selection. I was there a couple weeks ago. It's better than nothing, but still pretty small. For the largest selection, Madness in Plano will be the place to hit, but it's a pretty decent drive from Grapevine.

I haven't been to it, but Common Ground Games near downtown Dallas is also supposed to be pretty decent. It's also going to be a bit of a drive, but maybe not quite as bad as going to Plano.

Area 51 and Roll2Play both closed down. They were pretty decent, but just couldn't get the business needed to stay open.

If you're in the area on Sunday, there's a game group that meets Sunday afternoons @ the Central Market in Colleyville (just south of Grapevine). DFW Metroplex Gamers on FB, IIRC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dbriner31 wrote:
Just piggybacking off of this thread, but you know if any of these stores are doing International Tabletop Day with the promos?

Gen X has been advertising some stuff for Tabletop Day and is doing something Wednesday Nights prior to the event as well. I haven't followed it that closely because I'm not anywhere close to the store and don't go near it on any of my normal routes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
What day is the conference?
My wife and I live up north near Lake Texoma, but we travel to the Dallas area to game now and again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Axford
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Madness

Always a great collection of games and depending which night, usually some tourney. Big nights are for MTG, D&D, X-Wing.

Recent big spot in the North DFW area is Dallas Games Marathon,which is getting pretty popular. Just a hall with a massive library of games. Check when they're open, since it's run by local gamers:

http://dallasgamesmarathon.com/

Both are in Plano, about 20-30 minutes up Hwy 121.

Also, check out the new Nerdvana in Frisco, TX...a bit closer, but also just off Hwy 121. The Nerdvana bar is packed with video games (but NOT like Dave & Buster's)...like bar + video consoles on flat screens all around. Also, around the corner they have a Nerdvana coffee bar, which is quieter with stacks of boardgames.

http://nerdvanafrisco.com/spirits/
http://nerdvanafrisco.com/coffee/

Make a day of it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
kaiax33 wrote:
+1 to Madness

Always a great collection of games and depending which night, usually some tourney. Big nights are for MTG, D&D, X-Wing.

Recent big spot in the North DFW area is Dallas Games Marathon,which is getting pretty popular. Just a hall with a massive library of games. Check when they're open, since it's run by local gamers:

http://dallasgamesmarathon.com/

Both are in Plano, about 20-30 minutes up Hwy 121.

Also, check out the new Nerdvana in Frisco, TX...a bit closer, but also just off Hwy 121. The Nerdvana bar is packed with video games (but NOT like Dave & Buster's)...like bar + video consoles on flat screens all around. Also, around the corner they have a Nerdvana coffee bar, which is quieter with stacks of boardgames.

http://nerdvanafrisco.com/spirits/
http://nerdvanafrisco.com/coffee/

Make a day of it!

The Coffee Nerdvana looks fun.
I think Kimmy and I will try to head down there next Wednesday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hatchitt
United States
Adel
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phogg wrote:
What day is the conference?
My wife and I live up north near Lake Texoma, but we travel to the Dallas area to game now and again.

Edwin, my conference is Monday, June 5th through June 9th. I fly into DFW and should arrive 8 AM. Registration for the conference isn't until 1-5 PM so I'll have a little bit of time on Monday. I won't have access to a car so I will have to walk (which I love doing to see the town), or take an Uber/taxi.

I don't have the itinerary yet but most of the evening are booked with conference stuff and social events.

I fly out at 11 AM on Friday morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Axford
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you're also a BBQ Lover. Make sure you get to Hard Eight BBQ (by the airport) or if you got some more time, Pecan Lodge or Lockhart's. Pecan Lodge is about the second best barbecue in the state (given the #1 ranking to Franklin's Barbecue in Austin)...but you'll stand in line for an hour to get it!!

Don't be fooled by Gaylord telling you they have the best, when you can hit Hard Eight on Freeport Parkway exactly 4.4 miles from the Gaylord. You might also pass the new Hard Eight on SH-121 on the way to Nerdvana.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaiax33 wrote:
I see you're also a BBQ Lover. Make sure you get to Hard Eight BBQ (by the airport) or if you got some more time, Pecan Lodge or Lockhart's. Pecan Lodge is about the second best barbecue in the state (given the #1 ranking to Franklin's Barbecue in Austin)...but you'll stand in line for an hour to get it!!

Don't be fooled by Gaylord telling you they have the best, when you can hit Hard Eight on Freeport Parkway exactly 4.4 miles from the Gaylord. You might also pass the new Hard Eight on SH-121 on the way to Nerdvana.

Meat U Anywhere is in Grapevine as well and is on-par w/ Hard 8 (or possibly better according to some of the reviews I've seen/heard).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls